Author Topic: Complete newbie checking in  (Read 14580 times)

Mr. Aris

Complete newbie checking in
« on: April 19, 2006, 01:31:48 AM »
Hello Everyone,

I'm a complete newbie to LSR, and I was hoping to start this year.  My background is in motorcycle drag racing.  I would like to attend the BUB race this year.  I need to know what I need to do to my bike to pass tech.  

1.  Has the 2006 rulebook been released yet?
2.  If so, can someone point me in the direction where I can pick one up?

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 02:45:20 AM »
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2006, 12:04:01 PM »
Mr. Aris, hunh?  The Greek name for the god of war, hey?  This is gonna be interesting.

Okay, back to land speed stuff.  Welcome to the club.  If you've been lurking and reading our stuff for a while you already know that we're straight-arrow serious, no goofing around is tolerated.  We also like chasing records and building bikes (and car guys like building cars, but they're another breed).

Jonathon's already sent you information on Bub's, so that's covered.  I'll suggest that you find a way to visit one or more of the lsr meets -- whether El Mirage, sooner, or at the Salt -- this August -- before you go to Bub's.  You'll get a chance to shoot the breeze with some folks that have already succumbed to land speed racing.

If you're at SpeedWeek, plan plenty of time to stroll through the pits and visit with us and the others that are there.  It's about the best way to learn how we deal with this afflication.

Welcome.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2006, 12:08:52 PM »
Crap -- I forgot your question about the rulebook.  You can order them on the USFRA website (www.saltflats.com) or the SCTA website (www.scta-bni.org).  If you want a slightly different set of rules -- if for no other reason than to see what the other sanctioning organisation expects for bikes -- go to www.ecta-lsr.com and go about getting one of those rulebooks, too.

While you're at it, don't hesitate to join one or more of the groups (keeping in mind that membership is required if you're goinng to participate at one of their events).  For the Bub's meet you'll need to join the American Motorcyclist Assassination.  Learn more about Bub's at the basic address:  www.speedtrialsbybub.com
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
complete
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2006, 01:22:21 PM »
Mr. Aris
Jack Costello is a land speed racer from your area, he has been doing it since he was a 60s hippie from the bay area. You might contact him for any helt. BTW he is a car guy and messeds with bikes as well.
Welcome to the straight line racers.
 :shock:  :shock:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Mr. Aris

Re: Newbie
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2006, 02:38:34 PM »
Quote from: Seldom Seen Slim
Mr. Aris, hunh?  The Greek name for the god of war, hey?  This is gonna be interesting.

Just a quick reply to this.  My name really is Aris.  I travel to Japan a lot for business, and they always call me Mr. Aris over there.  So, the nickname just stuck.   :)

Thanks for the advice guys.  I'll check into all of the sanctioning bodies.

Mr. Aris

Re: complete
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2006, 02:44:12 PM »
Quote from: Glen
Mr. Aris
Jack Costello is a land speed racer from your area, he has been doing it since he was a 60s hippie from the bay area. You might contact him for any helt. BTW he is a car guy and messeds with bikes as well.
Welcome to the straight line racers.
 :shock:  :shock:

Thanks for the lead.  I'll see if I can get a hold of him.  I think that we may already have a mutual acquaintance.  It's a really small world here in Silicon Valley.   :D

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2006, 07:33:28 PM »
Hey! You didn't say what you are going to run. Fill us in so we can help.

(Not to mention we gossipy types just can't stand a mystery.)
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Mr. Aris

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2006, 09:43:07 PM »
My bad.  I forgot to mention it.  My bike is a 2001 Kawasaki ZX-12.  I don't think I'll be competitive in the 1350 class, but that appears to be the only one I can play in.  I just want to go out and see what I can do.  If the bug hits in the process, then so be it.  

More questions:

1.  Considering the fact that my bike is so fast, will I need to get a license before running the 'run what ya brung' event?  

2.  Do you get a time/speed slip after running the 'run what ya brung' event?

3.  Someone told me that I need a crew member to pick me up at the other end of the course, and I'm not allowed to ride a race vehicle (my bike) back to my pit area.  Is this true?  Do I need to drag someone to the salt with me?

bak189

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2006, 11:27:41 PM »
At the BUB event in the past couple of years we have been allowed to ride our bikes back after making a speed-run......for SCTA/BNI you CAN NOT ride your bike back....so you need someone with a truck and/or trailer.  (why I do not know....only the OFFICIALS in their wisdom know why)  Check the BUB-site and/or contact Delvene
Manning for more information

Mr. Aris

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2006, 12:11:34 AM »
sweet!  It makes it a lot easier for me if I don't have to find a crew person to drive 14 hours each way with me.  I'll go shoot an e-mail to the BUB people just to make sure.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2006, 01:25:05 AM »
The BUB Run Watcha Brung rules say:
Riding in the pit area or return roads is prohibited and subject to disqualification.

So if they enforce the rule, you have three choices:
1. Drag a buddy along.
2. Draft a buddy from the pits. (The offer of a free beer after the races helps.) Getting somebody to drive down to the other end isn't that hard to do.
3. Take a pit bike. Drive down to the other end with the pit bike in the back and drop off the pit bike. Drive back to start. Park truck, make speed run. Park race bike, hop on pit bike, cruise back to truck, pop pit bike in back, drive to other end and pick up race bike. Return to pits.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
VOLUME
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2006, 02:08:48 AM »
Quote from: bak189
At the BUB event in the past couple of years we have been allowed to ride our bikes back after making a speed-run......for SCTA/BNI you CAN NOT ride your bike back....so you need someone with a truck and/or trailer.  (why I do not know....only the OFFICIALS in their wisdom know why)  Check the BUB-site and/or contact Delvene
Manning for more information

The volume of traffic dictates the policy and the Insurance frowns on the mix of racers with others.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2006, 02:32:49 AM »
Well,Jon,gonna get you twice. Jonathon sent him the rules?? Did not see his name here and Ares is the Greek god or war,not Aris, Mars was the Romans version. :twisted:
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2006, 02:34:48 AM »
And there were a few bikes at WOS allowed to ride back.IIRC they were all still in street trim,if that made a difference?? Not 130 Club either.