Author Topic: Rat's Monte Carlo lives to fight another day  (Read 8823 times)

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
Rat's Monte Carlo lives to fight another day
« on: July 31, 2012, 06:40:58 PM »
I haven't posted anything about what I've been doing to repair the carnage caused by the wayward driveshaft at WoS 2011 because I wanted to get to a certain point before I said anything.  Now I can say something.

First of all, I've taken care of all the broken stuff: driveshaft, holes in the floor pan, transmission mount, transmission case (yes, it snapped the case right at the block), input shaft, front pump, and torque converter.  And if that wasn't enough, I've added a rear driveshaft loop. 

While I was at it, I gutted the interior, added a rear firewall and a pair of racing seats with 5-point harnesses (you can probably see where this is going.)

I've also gone to a different set of headers (the set I had before was originally for the stock 305), replaced all the pulleys and mounting brackets on the front of the motor and a buncha other stuff.  If I can get a roll cage installed before WoS, I'll run it in both 130 and 150 Clubs.  And maybe at the Mojave Mile at the end of September.

But the best part happened yesterday and today.  I fired up the motor for the first time since last year last night.  After a bit of priming, it fired right up and ran like a champ.  Today, my friend Jim came over and we made sure we had sufficient ATF (we ended up putting at least a gallon more in over what I'd initially added) and then fixed a little problem with the shift linkage.  Finally, after several months of workin as much as I can every day, it moved under its own power.  In both directions.  And it left beautiful black stripes in my driveway where I power-braked it as I was pulling it back into the garage.   8-)

So Fox Paws Racing is back in business.  There's still a lot to do, but I'm WAY ahead of the game compared to last year.  I'm hoping that my 3rd year at WoS will be a little more prepared and...well, not quite as expensive as last year.

I've attached some photos of stuff I referred to in the text.  I hope I can keep the momentum going.  I DID buy a few Extra Strength 5-Hour Energy Drinks to help out...   :-D

I'll post more as I get closer to WoS.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Rat's Monte Carlo lives to fight another day
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2012, 06:59:32 PM »
Great news, Ray.  What doesn't kill us makes us better prepared for the conquest.

Keep it between the markers and off of the trailer.  :cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

PatMc

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 07:20:36 PM »
Looks good!

Offline Freud

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 07:33:58 PM »
Great Job, Rat.

I'm proud of You.

Just keep pluggin' and you will be ready way before WoS.

Turn to me anytime you need guidance.

You know how well I have done with Rufus.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 08:12:39 PM »
Thanks, Doc.  I appreciate the good words.  Just tell Rufus that the garage space may be opening up.  That otta have him sittin up and begging for a little TLC.

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 10:21:12 PM »
Ray,
If it helps mine is still at the shop getting a new floor. Long story, new goal 2013.

See you next week

Bill
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 12:34:31 AM »
Good luck Ray.  It looks like you are ready.

Offline trimmers

• Jeff in Boise
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2012, 06:23:09 AM »
Ray:

It's sounds like you're all set!  

How's the battery tie-down this year?

I'll be waitin' to see ya in tech!

Jeff
------------- 1 of just 3 in all 3  -------------
USFRA 130 MPH Club 09/18/2008 136.757
USFRA 150 MPH Club 09/17/2009 152.162
Bonneville 200 MPH Club 09/15/2019 218.600
Best Run: 253.080 MPH 09/14/2019 #6556

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2012, 09:46:31 AM »
Ray:

It's sounds like you're all set! 

How's the battery tie-down this year?

I'll be waitin' to see ya in tech!

Jeff

The battery tie-down is still using that high-tech strap.  BUT.  I have a metal hold-down that will go thru a plastic battery box and fasten to the metal under-tray.  Matter of priorities.  But I sure haven't forgotten that little moment in tech when I found that the stock retainer wasn't worth a Stutz (my own censorship, thank you very much.)  Won't make that mistake again.

I just got the alternator and PS pump pulleys and belts sorted out last nite.  See photo.  If possible, I'll see if I can get the exhaust re-done today.  Then I can take care of the rust issues on the control arm when I install the drop spindles.  The fun never stops.  :)

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2012, 01:10:37 PM »
Ray,

so long you call it fun you be on the right side....

I like to see next Thursday a friend who is still in the mood to share a great steak dinner....

and in September I will see you on the end of the 1 mile marker with the bad bad Monte Carlo.

Stay upright....stay crazy....
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 08:08:57 PM »
I next Thursday is as "exhausting" as today, I dunno if I can handle anything but rest.  Both the race car and I (and Jim as well) are exhausted.  See photo from spy cam.  We got to be re-trained on getting the car on and off the trailer.  When I consider how things went today in comparison to last year, we did quite well.  We didn't drop the car off the ramps once.  :)  And we only spit the ramps out of their pinned-in locations once, but got lucky and the car kept moving and ended up in the right place. 

Once again, I regret that I didn't start doing this LSR thing 40 or 50 years ago.  Oh, well.  No use crying over spilled milk.  It just makes it salty for the cat.

Anyway, the new exhaust is installed and what I thought was a major problem with the harmonic balancer on the motor is only one more little pulley problem.  So I think that all things considered, we're doing ok.

Ohhh....also in the photo, you'll see that the bottom of the rear driveshaft loop is missing.  This was removed to eliminate any clearance problems with the ramps and trailer. 

Must sleep now.

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2012, 08:54:19 PM »
what was the cause of the drive shaft failure last year?
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2012, 09:31:18 PM »
what was the cause of the drive shaft failure last year?

The pinion yoke snapped.  Apparently there had been a hairline crack in the cast metal and when it let go, it took out a whole Studebaker-load of stuff: punched holes in the floor pan, tried to climb into the driver's seat with me (it only managed to crease the Stutz outta the floor pan there), sheared the rear tranny mount, broke the transmission case, shattered the front pump housing, cooked the input shaft and filled the torque converter with trash.  Other than that, there wasn't much damage.  :-o

The whole story's here:
http://www.chevyasylum.com/85monte/85monte29.html

Offline Geo

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2012, 10:42:47 PM »
Good racing Ray! Because of your issue last year I have added a shield to the drivers side of the trans tunnel.

Looking forward to your reports and photos soon.  :cheers:

Geo