Author Topic: Salt Talks and other donations  (Read 9221 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Salt Talks and other donations
« on: July 29, 2012, 05:11:51 PM »
Here you go -- I'll start the donating right now.  Today we were helping a new customer move into our storage buildings - and Nancy pointed out this Charlie Toy body, complete, from AirTech, that's been languishing in the barn there.  So - since we're running in production we don't need a spare Toy body so I'll auction it and include delivery to the salt next week.  Pardon the dust - it has been inside the RV storage building for a while. . .

I expect I should put a minimum opening bid on it - something like $500.  After all, it'll cost you way more than that to get one of these.  Yes, it might not be the very latest iteration of the bodywork, but it's one heck of a lot better than the factory bodywork on your bike - and the retail cost of the pieces are more (LOTS more) than $500.

Tell you what I'll do:  I'll include a Zero Gravity windscreen for the Toy body.  It's in a closed box - which I didn't open today - so I'm assuming it's in original shape.  I will check it tomorrow and let you know if it has signs of wear or scratches or anything.  But it goes with the body, okay?  Value of the windshield is what -- a hundred bucks?  Save money, get streamlined, help the website stay afloat.

Let the bidding begin.  It'll close Thursday at bedtime - so I'll have Friday morning to figure out if the stuff gets packed into the trailer.

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
Re: Salt Talks and other donations
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 10:55:04 AM »
Well, speaking of donations and such -- thanks to the folks that offered up some $$ at SpeedWeek - or during the event.  Let's see if I can remember some, if not all, of the names.

Ray Frye Jr., Chris Conrad, Tom Liberatore, David McNurlen, Robert Collier, Charles Venable, James Kelsall, William Ross, Patricia Penny, Bob Drury, BeerBelly, and - - probably a handful of others.  Thanks.

We needed some input, 'specially since we didn't have a Salt Talks at SpeedWeek.  ST is our biggest fundraiser of the years, and without that support we run a tad low on cash.  We'll do Salt Talks II at World of Speed, on Saturday night, at the parking area of the new Bonneville Museum -- NOT at the Bend in the Road.  Mike Crawford has kindly arranged for the get-together to be there to take advantage of the new facility.  And -- Jacey, of the Enola Gay Cafe, has graciously allowed us to use one of her big 8-burner grills to do the cooking at ST II.  Thank you very much, Mike and Jacey.

We still will need volunteers to help run the event, of course.  If you can handle a 'burger flipper or can sell raffle tickets or set up and take down tables, etc -- let me know.  The sooner I hear from you the more relaxed I'll feel about the event.

And one more time -- we still need to get more $$ in the landracing.com account to tide us through the lean times.  Donate now, and often, please.  Thanks.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 11:57:15 AM »
  ...and although this is a indirect way to help, I had Slim and Nancy make a new batch of beautiful "thank you" plaques for the folks who helped pull and install a new engine in my tow vehicle at Speedweek 2011.
  You could "overpay" on a simillar order, defraud VISA and die without paying a dime (as I intend to do) and Slim could afford to have a "I nursed Nancy" tatoo placed on his massive pecs.............................  :roll:             Bob
Bob Drury

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 12:47:59 PM »
defraud VISA and die without paying a dime (as I intend to do)
Have you mentioned this plan to you kids? :cheers:
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2012, 01:20:39 PM »
  Dean, this is amongst the reasons that I never answer the doorbell or answer the phone. (the kids and the bill collector's).
  Isn't this how you other racer's do it?                 Ol' One Run
Bob Drury

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 02:00:50 PM »
Brenda Sue and I will be glad to help out.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 02:42:56 PM »
Brenda Sue and Fred -- you're hired.  The pay is great, too -- you get to hang around a bunch of racers for a few hours.  What could be better than that?

Anybody else wanna help?  I will "pay" you with free food and drink, although everyone gets that.  But -- you don't have to consider using the donation cans.

We'll feature hamburgers and hot dogs and grilled chicken breasts.  Chips, pop, condiments, and stuff like that.  If you want to offer some food -- or something else -- go ahead and bring it.  Last year Paul Busta brought a watermelon (suggestion:  cut it up before arriving!) and Wa (Steve's Bad Banana) brought some beans.  This year he had the beans all ready for the SpeedWeek Salt Talks - and ended up giving them away to various teams.  Bring 'em again, Steve.  A few bags of ice will be welcome, too, and more chips and so on.  We've got paper plates and plastic eating weapons and even napkins. 

By the way, we didn't get the meat for the ST at SpeedWeek, so don't worry -- it hasn't been sitting in the race trailer and fermenting. :roll:  See you at the new Museum parking lot on Saturday evening of World of Speed.  Festivities will commence about 5 or 5.30, depending on how dark it's already getting that evening.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2012, 04:07:13 PM »
Jon,

Paul will be not there this year (first time since 1993 by a family issue), so no melone from him.

I will help with the raffle tickets, as I done last year, when I'm right on time there...but you know...as a photographer you have to change sometimes your plans....but I will try my best. You got my donation in your trailer...hope this will help Landracing.com a little bit....

Just a question...did you got a chance to view the picture CD and to get Bob the webelf the CD for the website???

See you at the salt

Pork Pie
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2012, 04:17:04 PM »
Bacon,
When do you arive in Salt Lake City?

You did an outstanding job driving. :cheers:

John
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2012, 05:13:47 PM »
JohnBoy,

thanks for all your help, you done a great job, without them I think I would not have run the car this way.

Arriving....if everything went right I will be at Salt Lake Airport on the Thursday the 6th September at around 6 pm......

Looking for to see you, Stainless and all the other from the team at the WoS.

Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2012, 05:56:25 PM »
  Hey, Nancy could run a kissing booth, and DW and Starter Glen could have a straight shot booth.............  ah, never mind that last one, no profit seen on the horizon, a tatoo booth where us wannabe's could get things like "Future 200 mph Club Member", Bruce Geisler could sell his famous "don't bend over in Wendover" boxer shorts, and Stainless could auction off his beard so we can determine once and for all if he is better looking than me (his claim, not mine).
  Hell, if all goes well, maybe you can buy a sidecar for Nancy (only for shopping of course)
and for a large enough donation to the site, I would not post for three, er two, er a hour or so which I am sure most of you would appreciate and pay big bucks for..........  Bob
Bob Drury

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2012, 08:44:50 PM »
Pork Pie, those CDs of photos got left in the trailer -- which is still out west, in a protected and locked parking place.  At least we think they're still there -- we don't have them with us.  I'll get them viewed and sent to Bob Clancy as soon as we can -- probably within a day of arrived at Wendover.

Next topic - the water bottles you want are all done and nice looking.  The other things are still in shipment - should be at our shop by Monday.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2012, 09:42:35 PM »
  Hey, Nancy could run a kissing booth, and DW and Starter Glen could have a straight shot booth.............  ah, never mind that last one, no profit seen on the horizon, a tatoo booth where us wannabe's could get things like "Future 200 mph Club Member", Bruce Geisler could sell his famous "don't bend over in Wendover" boxer shorts, and Stainless could auction off his beard so we can determine once and for all if he is better looking than me (his claim, not mine).
  Hell, if all goes well, maybe you can buy a sidecar for Nancy (only for shopping of course)
and for a large enough donation to the site, I would not post for three, er two, er a hour or so which I am sure most of you would appreciate and pay big bucks for..........  Bob

Bob I ain't a starter.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2012, 12:43:08 AM »
  Sorry "OLD TIMER", I must have been thinking about you and D.W. and how much "spillage" might occur when no one was looking........... :roll:
Bob Drury

penny

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2012, 05:41:01 AM »
Jon , what if you witheld some items from salt talks and periodicaly run an auction here . put the item up and we could Pm a Bid . You could then post some current bids to tease us to rebid higher .Winning bidder  to pay the freight .          paul penny DLRA 825