Author Topic: EV1 build  (Read 18996 times)

Offline EVLEE

• http://www.metroevents.com/jordaneng/index.htm
EV1 build
« on: April 17, 2006, 11:49:52 AM »
My name is Lee A. Jordan I have been working on racing cars of one kind or another since I helped my brother work on his 64 Galaxy 406 with duel 4bls.at the drags. I have work for different road racing teams from Champcars to 24Hrs. of Daytona. Since I first saw the Goldenrod in Hot Rod Magazine I have been in love with Streamliners!! This interest has sat dormant  till my friend Roger Schroer was asked by The Ohio State University Buckeye Bullet team to drive there (EV3)Electric Powered Streamliner to a record of 314mph!! I have helped Roger with his racing(SCCA) cars since 1988. I now want to design and build my own Electric Streamliner  and go for the EV1 RECORD at Bonneville in 2007 of 132mph. I am hopping to go faster than the EV2 Record of 213mph.
 EV1 Streamliner has to weigh 1099lbs. or less without driver so I figure 1300lbs with driver and 180hp to 220hp depending on how many Batteries I can fit in to the car at 1099lbs weight.I am trying for as little frontal area and low CD as possible.  I am willing to chat and listen to anyone that may have an Idea  or interest in my Project.
     Thank you Lee :wink:
http://www.metroevents.com/jordaneng/index.htm

Offline Malcolm UK

EV1 build
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2006, 04:37:32 PM »
Lee

Enjoy the challenge of building in the lightweight class.  I am too far away to give much help and my electric effort is on water!

You may read the magazine Racecar Engineering - this month (May 2006)they are running an article on an electric hillclimb car (uphill tarmac timed event) which has to be light and powerful.  You may enjoy the piece although the companies involved are British.

The Speed Record Club magazine Fast Facts did run an article on 'Volta' when it ran in 1993 (back copies are available - www.speedrecordclub.com).
Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
EV1 build
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2006, 04:54:47 PM »
Lee,

have a look at this web site

www.oneliterlandspeed.com

This is streamliner where I'm involed, with the 60 cubic inch unblown engine the racer was a little bit over 1300 pounds.

If you like you can contact me directly by e-mail, so as other racer/builder done, and I will give you my ideas and opinion for your racer.

You can explain it or you can send sketches/picture at added files.
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
EV1 build
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2006, 06:31:50 PM »
Quote from: PorkPie
This is streamliner where I'm involed, with the 60 cubic inch unblown engine the racer was a little bit over 1300 pounds.

I have a question.  In 1997 they set 2 records in the same day (gas and fuel un-blown).  How did they do that?  Was it the last day of the meet?  Not at speedweek where you qualify one day and make the return run the next?

Just interested,

Sum

dwarner

EV1 build
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 08:47:16 AM »
At salt events after you qualify and complete a record you may have the engine sealed and the record put on hold. You can then run another class. If a record is set in the second class the engine is measured for both records.

The date posted as the record date is the date on any and all certification forms.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you chose this option the first record you set may be broken and certified at a higher speed. This event will negate your record and you must requalify on the new record. If a red hat is at stake this could cost a club memebership.

It's your choice, set and certify a record or hold off the certification to a later date.

DW

Offline EVLEE

EV1 build
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006, 09:30:14 AM »
Malcom ,I Get Racecar Engineering Magazine and familiar with hillclimb cars. Some hillclimbers over here use older Formula Fords chassis.I will be using front&rear  hubs from one.I will need all my skills and as many tips as I can get to help me fit this car under the 1099lbs. rule !!
  Pork pie, My Car will have a similar layout and if I think I can spare the weight my suspension will look something like the VERY COOL GREEN CAR!!
  I am Irish and just love Emerald Green!! But I bleed RED WHITE & BLUE!!!!
  I am hoping to reach a similar speed with my car?? I have to weight 200lbs less and carry batteries instead of fuel. I will read about the hillclimb car.I have been busy and have only looked at the cover of the magazine.
        Lee

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
EV1 build
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2006, 12:21:02 PM »
I have a question. In 1997 they set 2 records in the same day (gas and fuel un-blown).

Sum,

the records was set the last day of the meet.

Terry, who set the second (fuel) record, got his licence from the year before, when he set out first record on gas (it was the fourth run of the car ever), Don who set the gas record done his licence runs, when he qualified for the record, after the return run the next morning we went into the impound and the engine was sealed with a wire and lead.

Than we done the paperwork for the fuel class, went back to the line, Terry qualified for the fuel, back into the impound and back to the starting line for the return run. Was a damn hard day, to make the car twice race ready in always 1 hour - sweat out.

Overall the car set in his first ten runs three records, was not too bad for some old greenhorns  :wink:

This explain that we set both records the same day.
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
EV1 build
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2006, 12:32:18 PM »
Lee,

yup, our car is about 200 pounds overyour limit, but therefore we have a radiator, transmission and the engine in. A electric motor is not this weight, also the batterie are not this heavy - if you make a quick change for the batteries, you can reduce the weight - two sets of batteries if necessary - if you run national records, you got enough time to charge the batterie in the impound, except if you qualify the last day of the meet.

The other advantage, you need no air box and naca's for the cooling. So the concept of the frame design can be much easier. Due to this that we got the wide engine in - which gave as the "wide" of the car, we got a lot of reinforcements in, which you can't see, to eliminate the weak frame around the engine.

When you build the frame, don't forget the cremona rules, this saves a lot of weight in the frame - a good cremona concept needs 30 percent less tubes.

As I offered before, you can contact me and I will check your ideas.
Pork Pie

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
EV1 build
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2006, 12:37:25 PM »
Quote from: PorkPie
This explain that we set both records the same day.

So if I have this straight the second to last day they qualified for a gas record.  Did the backup and set the record the next morning (last day of meet).  Then had the motor sealed, switched to fuel and qualified for a fuel record.  Now since it was the last day they did the return run and qot that record in the same day and ended up with the two records on the same day.  

Pretty neat :D .  I'll bet that hasn't happened too often.

c ya, Sum

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
EV1 build
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2006, 12:53:42 PM »
Pretty neat  :D  I'll bet that hasn't happened too often.

I think so, too - and the party was so good as the day at the salt :wink:
Pork Pie

Offline EVLEE

Bad news ,Good News thing
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2006, 01:34:06 PM »
:lol:  Hi
 Well after getting down to facts and figures with the weights & measures.I will not be able to carry enough Batteries to run the AC Propulsion system(the bad news) that cost $25,000.( the good news) I will be able to carry around 12 batteries for a DC not AC system. My hopes of 200mph are not out of site but are going to be a lot harder to get to.My goal is still 200mph!! Club!!I have to fit me a DC motor and 12 batteries into a car around the size and 50lbs. more than EZ-HOOK !! MY first goal will be to make the class weight of 1099lbs. then the long course at Bonneville. I am finishing up my first Idea hand drawing tonight and should have it posted Sat. morning.
                       Lee
 PS. Many thanks for all the Canopy Ideas and Refs. :wink:

dwarner

EV1 build
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2006, 10:11:31 AM »
A new regulation for 2007 will be put into place for electric vehicles.

All electric vehicles will be required to have a audio system and play one of the engine sound cd's at volumn setting of 11 while on the race track.

When an electric car is running people in the pits think that the course is shut down because no sound is coming from that area. LOL

DW

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
EV1
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2006, 10:25:00 AM »
Dan, maybe a smoke generator would help.LOL
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

dwarner

EV1 build
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2006, 11:17:23 AM »
Still can't hear it. On the list of top five experiences at Bonneville, sound is in there somewhere.

DW

Offline EVLEE

first thoughts
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2006, 02:13:11 PM »
Here are a few first thoughts put down on paper.