Author Topic: #715 - Speed Demon  (Read 57955 times)

Offline tauruck

Re: #715 - Speed Demon
« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2014, 11:40:44 PM »
Thanks Bob, I probably appreciate that more than most.

If one had the choice, that's how you'd want to get it done. :cheers:

Offline sabat

« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2014, 08:50:28 AM »
That probably cost more than my house. Wow.

Thanks to Ron Main for making this available, I'm looking forward to Speed Week.

Dean

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #62 on: June 25, 2015, 06:57:44 PM »
And you thought that this topic had been lost forever, didn't you?  I'm resurrecting it because it is dedicated to the Speed Demon over the years -- including the brand-new iteration being built for -- we and they hope - the 2015 SpeedWeek.  i know there's another topic running with photos - but I want to keep this one alive.

Betty Howard (George's sister, in case you haven't had the pleasure of meeting her) sent these to me today.  Most of them were taken by Danny Burrows and are just shots of various stuff of the new build.  But there are some pictures of the new wheels that Troy Trepanier made for the car.  There are lots of other photos on the Speed Demon website -- but if you'd like me to do so I can get them collected and presented here.

Here are the wheels:

Pictures of this and that on the new car.  If some are duplicated elsewhere -- oops, I didn't have that page in front of me when I was doing this.

That's it for now.  If and when i get more I'll post them.  In other news, the crew will be mostly familiar - with some changes.  Dave Farewell, who worked for Goodyear and designed the front tires, has now signed on to the crew.  He engineered the wheels that Troy made for the new car.  Other than that -- well, wait 'til you get out there to see the gang and the car.  Betty says they plan to arrive in Wendover on Wednesday.  To me that implies set up Thursday (if not get started Wednesday on setting up the pit) and get the car ready for inspection.  Remember how George likes the car to be ready to run hard on the first run out of the trailer -- but add in the fact that the car is brand-new and might take a run or two to get set up right -- and get ready to watch the Speed Demon (hey -- will it be called that or will there be a new name or Speed Demon II or what?  I dunno) in 2015.

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #63 on: June 25, 2015, 10:31:34 PM »
Great to see these guys hammering on it to make the August meet and I, like everyone on this site, are pulling for them!! It is good to see that they are evolving with the car, with proven ideas in some areas and better new ideas in others, the new canopy design for instance. I have to apologize to both George and Ron as my "former" opinion of them was that they were "rich guys" playing at land speed racing. I could not have been farther from the truth!! These guys are RACERS!!! and dedicated to our sport and we are so much the better for having them. I am so looking forward to seeing the SDII at the salt in August. I can only wish them the most success.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #64 on: June 26, 2015, 10:10:39 AM »
Man That is a BIG turbo!!
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline jl222

« Reply #65 on: June 26, 2015, 12:44:26 PM »
Man That is a BIG turbo!!

Yea. are they staging turbos? Looks like smaller turbos on back of engine.

JL222

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #66 on: June 26, 2015, 12:56:39 PM »
The one thing that I can't do is try to get answers to your specific questions, girls and boys.  I'd like to know more details, for sure, just like you would -- but our discussion about interrupting the builders for questions kinda shows that we shouldn't interrupt them to ask things like that.  I'll do my best to keep us up to date on the build.  I know that some of the folks on the Speed Demon team read this Forum - and maybe one or two of them will note the questions and try to come up with responses for you.  No promises -- but until we get to the salt there's not all that much more that I can do.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline jl222

« Reply #67 on: June 26, 2015, 03:28:06 PM »
The one thing that I can't do is try to get answers to your specific questions, girls and boys.  I'd like to know more details, for sure, just like you would -- but our discussion about interrupting the builders for questions kinda shows that we shouldn't interrupt them to ask things like that.  I'll do my best to keep us up to date on the build.  I know that some of the folks on the Speed Demon team read this Forum - and maybe one or two of them will note the questions and try to come up with responses for you.  No promises -- but until we get to the salt there's not all that much more that I can do.

Question was for Landracing members if they thought the same as me :-)

Change to. Looks like they are staging the turbos

JL222 :cheers:

Offline Das Bullet

• New folks
« Reply #68 on: June 26, 2015, 03:53:12 PM »
From photos I've seen on Facebook the car is twin turbos non staged.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #69 on: June 26, 2015, 06:18:26 PM »
JL, I didn't mean to imply that I was telling you that i couldn't get the answers -- but rather was kinda saying to one and all that I couldn't do that.  Sorry if I made you think I was kinda scolding you for not knowing better.  We'll all find out on the salt, anyway. :cheers: :cheers:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline jl222

« Reply #70 on: June 26, 2015, 11:10:55 PM »
From photos I've seen on Facebook the car is twin turbos non staged.

The 6th photo from above shows that big asz turbo mounted away from engine and smaller turbo right behind
engine and there are photos showing 2 turbos on engine just can't see from that angle. When staging, tubos have to flow more air into the smaller turbo.

JL222

Offline BHR301

« Reply #71 on: June 26, 2015, 11:13:37 PM »
All I see are two turbos, one for each bank.

Bill

Offline Interested Observer

« Reply #72 on: June 26, 2015, 11:34:57 PM »
Two turbos, two waste gates.

Offline jl222

« Reply #73 on: June 27, 2015, 12:34:19 AM »
Two turbos, two waste gates.

The last photo shows the two turbos mounted on engine. I guess Fred and I are the only ones that can see that compressor side of the other big asz turbo in photo 6?

The two smaller turbos could go to an intercooler and then into the large turbo, depends on cfm.

JL222
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 01:32:22 AM by jl222 »

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #74 on: June 27, 2015, 01:09:13 AM »
I think you're dealing with perspective with the photography. What appears to be a smaller turbo right behind the engine is actually a similar turbo to the big one mounted on the other side. Photos can sometimes be tricky that way.  :-D :-D :-D

Pete