Author Topic: Legal seat?  (Read 14356 times)

Offline Plmkrze

• Oh Yea
Re: Legal seat?
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2012, 10:14:59 PM »
This may sound silly. But is that a motor sickle helmet? It looks alittle long in the chin compared to my Bell brain bucket.
"Trim it, whittle it, make it work."

East Coast Cherry Pickers Association (ECCPA) and proud of it!

Offline fastman614

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2012, 10:45:19 PM »
There is nothing in the rules that says or even implies that it HAS TO BE THE SEAT ITSELF that provides the lateral support as long as the lateral support is there.... Having been a tech inspector for several years too, I have seen a lot of very viable alternatives to extending the seat itself. When you think about how roadsters, lakesters and streamliners etc. use the roll cage tubing itself as the lateral support, I think you'll get the idea. So, if you were to make some sturdy "clamp to the existing roll cage" type supports at the front of the seat and glue or otherwise affix SFI 38.1 padding to them, if I was inspecting your car, I would be more than willing to accept a fix such as that as meeting the rules.
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

PatMc

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2012, 10:54:34 PM »
Side thought...  Is that a removable glass panel on top or T-Top?  You might want to check into that as well.  Seems there are restrictions on them?  Or I might be thinking another kind of racing.  I remember having to remove them for SCCA Solo, but don't remember exactly.

Offline fastman614

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2012, 10:56:16 PM »
Of course, in retrospect, I got to thinking - it's a Corvette!.... having owned one for many years, I looked at how I would go about building a racecar for Bonneville out of mine - and this was before the lateral head movement became such a big issue --- so ... With the seat, as it is presently configured, it is probably already a "bear-cat" to get in and out of....

Give a lot of thought to entry/exit of the car while doing your extensions and see if entry/exit can take place  with the extensions - try some mock ups first...... you may even need to put your helmet on after you are in the car but in an emergency exiting of the car, this could be a problem especially if you MUST remove the helmet to exit the car.....

I hope it works out for you!
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

PatMc

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2012, 12:16:00 AM »
Of course, in retrospect, I got to thinking - it's a Corvette!.... having owned one for many years, I looked at how I would go about building a racecar for Bonneville out of mine - and this was before the lateral head movement became such a big issue --- so ... With the seat, as it is presently configured, it is probably already a "bear-cat" to get in and out of....

Give a lot of thought to entry/exit of the car while doing your extensions and see if entry/exit can take place  with the extensions - try some mock ups first...... you may even need to put your helmet on after you are in the car but in an emergency exiting of the car, this could be a problem especially if you MUST remove the helmet to exit the car.....

"Wrap Your Azz In Fiberglass!"  :cheers:

I love driving Wifey's Vette, but while it's comfy, there isn't a lot of extra room in it.  My Chevy Sprint had more headroom. 

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2012, 01:37:25 AM »
FWIW there's usually a 1" tolerance on the "to the front of the helmet" rule.  One thing to keep in mind though is that the fire suit plus whatever HNRS you use may push the driver forward some and if you're marginal now you may be a no-go after you have all the gear on.

What's that seat made out of?  Is it FIA rated? 
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2012, 07:50:59 AM »
This may sound silly. But is that a motor sickle helmet? It looks alittle long in the chin compared to my Bell brain bucket.
Good question, I will take my helmet and hans over there today to try to get a more accurate picture here. The helmet I was using was used for racing cars but the owner also owns a motorcycle.????
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2012, 07:56:55 AM »

You are absolutely correct!!  This thing is a real bear to get in and out of with the head restraint that is on this seat let alone larger ones.
One problem is that the seatbelt style window net clip is hanging down into the opening obstructing cut hole.
I wonder if it would be okay to make extensions for the right side of the head restraints and attach the left side of the extension to the window net. This would reopen the exit hole to get out of the car faster once we drop the window net. The seat is an FIA seat.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2012, 08:13:02 AM »
One thing that may disqualify this seat is 2" side to side rule. No way of fixing that.
We have already bought a legal aluminum seat from Joe Timney but I am still very concerned with how the longer left side helmet restraint will close up the exit hole.
These cockpits are so tight on these cars.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

gkabbt

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2012, 08:40:48 AM »
You are absolutely correct!!  This thing is a real bear to get in and out of with the head restraint that is on this seat let alone larger ones.
One problem is that the seatbelt style window net clip is hanging down into the opening obstructing cut hole.

I have run into the entry / exit space issue with my Dodge Rampage and here is what I am going to try....already have but have not installed yet. http://allstarperformance.com/product.htm?prod=110
I saw this on the Geezer II Firebird at Wilmington in April. The crew chief, John, told me he shortened this top mount and then they mounted the seatbelt clip in the front of the net about 1/2 way down.

Hope this helps,
Gregg

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2012, 01:17:30 AM »
FIA? The Federation' Internationale Auto.. whatever? I need yet another rulebook, to learn about seat specs? Is it written in French or English? What's up Doc? :-o
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Tman

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2012, 02:09:06 AM »
FIA? The Federation' Internationale Auto.. whatever? I need yet another rulebook, to learn about seat specs? Is it written in French or English? What's up Doc? :-o

jack, most of us never have to worry about the FIA. Some of their certs may cross over but we still run under SCTA rules.

PatMc

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2012, 10:57:37 AM »

I have run into the entry / exit space issue with my Dodge Rampage and here is what I am going to try....already have but have not installed yet. http://allstarperformance.com/product.htm?prod=110
I saw this on the Geezer II Firebird at Wilmington in April. The crew chief, John, told me he shortened this top mount and then they mounted the seatbelt clip in the front of the net about 1/2 way down.

Hope this helps,
Gregg

I don't know those with small cars do this.  I have trouble with a 6' tall truck.  I can't imagine it with a C5 Vette.  Sure, I'm 6'1" and 250lb, but I routinely climb out of the window of the C5 (with rollbar) inside an enclosed trailer .  Ditto for trucks (rollbar or SCTA cage).  For a 2000 Camaro, I could climb out the hatchback.

I think it takes real good planning before you ever start on the cage.

I consider emergency egress time and fire safety the same thing.  edit...
« Last Edit: July 31, 2012, 11:39:37 AM by PatMc »

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2012, 10:42:06 PM »
You are absolutely correct!!  This thing is a real bear to get in and out of with the head restraint that is on this seat let alone larger ones.

Hope this helps,
Gregg

This type of window net mount is legal, correct?
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

gkabbt

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2012, 05:32:45 AM »
When I talked with the Geezer II crew chief John, he told me that Joe Timney said it was perfectly legal for all LSR venues.
I have not spoken with Joe or pinged the SCTA but my assumption is that it is legal per Joe's comments.
I stopped by Joe's on my way home after the Loring race and meant to ask him about this. Unfortunately, CRS kicked in and I forgot.
I'll give him a call this morning and see what he says.

Gregg

« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 05:41:28 AM by gkabbt »