Author Topic: A lakester and a '32 Highboy  (Read 3753 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
A lakester and a '32 Highboy
« on: July 23, 2012, 08:50:01 PM »
I got this today from Martyn Schorr, the media fellow for both the Dripps-Gibby highboy and the Dauernheim-Biglow-Davis AA/GL.  First of all -- the text doesn't want to be copy and pasted, so I'll give a few details and you'l have to dig for the rest -- or see the cars in person.  This season the two cars are racing to raise funds for the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation.

First of all -- the Lakester, with driver Don Biglow and Owner Bob Dauernheim:

Here's Don (well, he's in there) posing with Jim Jensen at the line:

[/URL]

The lakester set an AA/FL record at SpeedWeek '09 - 290.49 mph.  In '11 they had engine troubles but still clocked a 318 exit.  Those are the only photos I got of this car.  Now, the highboy, starting with the 259 cu. in Chevy engine:

Rob checking Robin's belts before a run:

A close shot of the front suspension of the black '32:

And finally, here's the team.  Robin is the driver - with the hard-to-miss red hair:

And finally - yes, if you send me a press release that includes photos -- I'll be happy to post it here so everyone can see your pride and joy.

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline kiwi belly tank

Re: A lakester and a '32 Highboy
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 10:25:42 AM »
I checked out this roadster two years ago at SW & it's a really nice piece. At that lime they had some extreme handling issues & it didn't want to go straight. Hope they got to the bottom of that!
  Sid.

Offline gas pumper

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 03:14:22 PM »
SSS: Just to add correct info on the 608. 2011 we made 8 runs. Everyone was over 300. the best exit speed was, I think, 311. But exit speed dosen't count for anything. We are running against a 314 record. In 2011 the 608 was the first and only AA/GL to exceed 300 on carburetors. Engine was/is fine, no issues all week. As a matter of fact, the same engine is coming back this year. with a little more power. We ran out of rear tires at the end of the week.
Crew for 608 AA/GL.
Crew for The Flying Seven, 7207, XO/GCT, V4/FCT Loring.

Offline robin dripps

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2012, 03:31:03 PM »
Sid,
Thanks for the comments on the roadster.  I do not want to jinx the project but last year we had the car going wonderfully straight and even qualified for the record at 204.77.  The backup, however, was compromised by our not plugging in the steering wheel button for the shifter.  Driving with one hand on the wheel and one had reaching behind for the back up switch was a definite test of going straight among other things. But the speed was only 200 and we need a few more.
robin

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2012, 06:41:51 PM »
Glad to hear its going straight now Robin.  I'll stop by & say hi if I can find you guys this year.
  Sid.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2012, 08:20:26 PM »
Ah - I'm pleased.  Pleased that you two read this stuff and took the time to freshen/update/correct the information that I put down.  Thanks - for visiting the Forum.  This way the others on here might be able to ask you questions or make comments - directly.

Best wishes for your adventures on the salt in 2012, and for continuing success helping the JDRF.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com