Author Topic: Repairing a fire suit  (Read 3752 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Repairing a fire suit
« on: July 22, 2012, 07:16:46 PM »

The rule states “clean and serviceable condition”.

I picked up a pair of SFI 3.2A/15 RJS suits off of E-bay – both in good shape, save this tear-out of the cuff in the leg –

I have a friend who does theater costuming, and her sewing chops are ace.  I’m not seeing anything in the rules that would disallow a repair.  Pegasus is just down the road and they stock Nomex thread.

Any thoughts?

Might be selling one or the other - ya'll will get first crack at it . . .
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
Re: Repairing a fire suit
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 07:45:54 PM »
Nothing in the rules that I see. Nomex with duplicate stich pattern should do the trick.

Frank
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline fastman614

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 09:41:44 PM »
Nothing in the rules that I see. Nomex with duplicate stich pattern should do the trick.

Frank

Knowing something about repairing this as well as seeing the backroom workings at a (to remain) unnamed manufacturer of safety suits etc - the repairs are not rocket science.... They are done the same way as things like ski jackets and whatnot are repaired. You do need to used NOMEX thread though.... DO purchase the thread yourself and even test it with a torch to be sure ....

Alternatively, you can take several pictures, send the pics to the original manufacturer and ask for a repair estimate....and if they can't estimate it.... well... hmmmm.... I have a now EX ol' lady who was quite capable of estimating repairs to clothing with nothing more than several good pictures of the problem.
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 01:24:29 AM »
Alternatively, you can take several pictures, send the pics to the original manufacturer and ask for a repair estimate

^^^ This is what I'd suggest doing.  FWIW, whenever we (the inspectors) come across a piece of safety equipment that's been "repaired" or modified from it's original state we usually refer it to one of a few safety equipment manufacturers that we have on sight at Speed Week.  We typically follow their recommendation as to go yay or nay on said repair/mod.  I'd get in contact with the manufacturer and ask if it's repairable by a third part and if there are any special considerations that should be made.  I'd also try to get documentation of whatever course of action transpires should it come up during inspection.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member