Author Topic: Rollove Vent-Fuel  (Read 7430 times)

Offline Elmo Rodge

Rollove Vent-Fuel
« on: July 22, 2012, 12:57:20 PM »
A search turned up nothing for me. What is the recommended routing for rollover vent line on my fuel cell? I remember seeing this discussed but it evaporated for me.  :roll: Wayno

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
Re: Rollove Vent-Fuel
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 01:12:00 PM »
I attached AN fittins and line and ran it out of the belly pan.

Frank
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 01:14:46 PM »
It might be a good idea to put a small air filter in that fuel tank vent line to prevent dirt being sucked into the tank.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 02:10:13 PM »
I can tell you my experience in Tech and I learned something. My vent consisted of a 1/2 tube coming out the top of the tank wiht a loop coil, a right angle down, exiting out of the bottom of the trunk with a check ball fitting mounted on the bulkhead fitting on the outside of the trunk sheet metal. The car had passed tech at el Mirage with the previous owner so I did not put much thought into it. When I got to SpeedWeek tech the inspector showed me where that set up would work fine if the car landed on it's roof and fine if it landed on the driver's door. But the vent was on the right hand side of the fuel cell. If it ended up tipped up on the passenger door fuel would siphen out because the vent was now the lowest side of the tank. We added another right angle and took the vent to about 2" past the left side of the tank where it would be would always be at the highest point if the car ended up on either left or right door.

Visualize the car sitting on its roof, left or right door. If the vent opening is the lowest point of the tank it will siphen. That's my non-engineer explanation. I am sure there are others that can articulate it better. I zip tied a piece of scotch pad around the vent to limit the salt and crud from entering the check ball.

Bill
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 02:41:39 PM »
Thanx Bill. Good explanation. Wayno

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 03:20:05 PM »
If it ended up tipped up on the passenger door fuel would siphen out because the vent was now the lowest side of the tank. We added another right angle and took the vent to about 2" past the left side of the tank where it would be would always be at the highest point if the car ended up on either left or right door.

Visualize the car sitting on its roof, left or right door. If the vent opening is the lowest point of the tank it will siphen. . . .
Bill

Even through the check valve?  :?
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 03:28:59 PM »
MM

because laying on its side the check ball is no longer covering the vent hole. Its just a SS ball bearing engaged with gravity not a spring. Upside down on the roof it would work fine. But because the vent was on the right which would be the lower side of the tank if the car was laying on its right door. The ball would be laying on the side of the vent fitting channel allowing the fuel to flow out. 

The tech inspector was great, noted this issue, gave me his advice on a quick fix and then came down to our pit to crawl under the car to see our fix. He signed my book and we headed out to do our license runs.

Bill
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 03:39:09 PM »
I got one for my bike with AN fittings on both ends at Summit. About $25. Fluid against the ball is what closes it...
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012, 03:40:44 PM »
The earl's check valves have a viton flapper valve which should work in any position, right?  Or is this something else I'll have to update/fix?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EAR-251006ERL/ (other sizes available, of course).

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Jon

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 03:42:04 PM »
I started a thread a while ago Wayno and the answer was as Bill said.

The end of the vent line to be diagonally opposite where it exits the tank, both crossways and front to back.
That way regardless of how the vehicle ends up laying it can't syphon.

I'm still putting a check valve in mine as a belts and braces approach.

Cheers
jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2012, 05:29:20 PM »
Jon, that way if I land on my nose or tail I'll still be alright.  8-) Braces are suspenders over here.  :cheers: Wayno

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2012, 06:03:18 PM »
The earl's check valves have a viton flapper valve which should work in any position, right?  Or is this something else I'll have to update/fix?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/EAR-251006ERL/ (other sizes available, of course).

Mike

Mike, I've got the exact same thing on mine.  It remains normally closed regardless of position, will let air draw into the tank, and when it encounters fluid pressure it seals up tight.

Chris
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2012, 07:54:47 PM »

Mike

Mike, I've got the exact same thing on mine.  It remains normally closed regardless of position, will let air draw into the tank, and when it encounters fluid pressure it seals up tight.

Chris

Since we are down for the rest of the season at the Ohio mile I recon I'l add one to Amy's car. Safety First. That IS What I do for a living. :-D
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 09:11:34 AM »
FRONT of car corner diagional to opposite rear  corner over and down to at least 2" below bottom of tank to outside of vech. if possible--no loops or sags in line going to opposite corner-- this should vent and not spill in  other than maybe centrificual force  has been CBE tested in back yard trials  :-o

loops or sags can P-trap effect this will cut of the venting action and CAN starve an engs. fue with catastropic effect!!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 11:31:46 PM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!