Author Topic: Chute Release--handles--levers--knobs--??  (Read 23746 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Chute Release--handles--levers--knobs--??
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2012, 01:40:26 AM »
Clippard makes all kinds of air "stuff"
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline bucketlist

« Reply #46 on: August 29, 2012, 02:15:41 AM »

...A high quality teflon coated cable with few bends, all mild is the trick for me.  It can take a lot of effort to slide 16 feet of cable.

I watched my brother, an experienced skydiver, pack his chute. !0 lbs of potatoes in a 5 lb bag, then a spring-loaded pilot chute which increased bag load, then climbing on his knees to crush bag so he could pull the flap holes over the posts on opposing flaps, which had a very flat taper to ensure flap grommets would slide off, so he could insert several pins through the posts. Pins of course were on the ripcord. Looked like a lot of force would be required to get pins to slide out of posts due to flat taper and high load. So I asked if it wasn't hard to pull. His exact words: "I never noticed." I guess when it's time for a chute, it's time for a chute.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #47 on: August 29, 2012, 10:23:59 AM »
If you're running teflon coated cables or any cables for that matter, past the engine, protect them from fire & impact from blow ups.
You need all that crap to work when the "Oh $hit" moment pops up.
  Sid.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2012, 07:46:31 PM »
my cables are inside the frame tubes
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline edweldon

« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2012, 01:45:07 AM »
Sparky - In reply 40 you mention an "air interupt push button".  I'm not familiar with that teminology being somewhat unfamiliar with pneumatic controls.  I've also heard the term in association with high voltage switch gear, another unfamilar area. 
Sounds to me like a control that releases the pressure in a pneumatic system thereby taking the system from the "run state" to the "stop" state.  Same as the old Westinghouse air brake system that applies brakes when the air pressure is released from the system.  Is this what you were talking about?    Ed Weldon
Captain Eddie's Day Old Fish Market -- home of the Bonneville Salt Fish
Featuring the modern miracle of mechanical refrigeration.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2012, 10:16:38 AM »
Ed,  maybe I miss applied a term, between CRS and not being an engineer I do that a LOT--

what I was refering to is a push button switch/valve that is in a pressured line from the supply to the actuator cyl. When you push it down it lets the pressure pass through to the actuator cyl.;  but when you release the button it stops the air from passing the switch/valve and there would then be no pressure on the cyl., 

Offline edweldon

« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2012, 02:33:07 PM »
Thanks. Sparky,
Two independent systems for the chute control with one on the steering wheel sure sounds like the way to go along with cable/line enclosures to minimize the damage from separate mechanical failure or fire.
It'll take some thoughtful design for the actuator mechanism next to the chute itself.  For me the rear engine character of my project also demands that the system be ready to work reliably in an alcohol or gasoline fire environment.  The question that I see is the relative merits of electrical vs pneumatic control for the actuator on the steering wheel.
Ed Weldon
Captain Eddie's Day Old Fish Market -- home of the Bonneville Salt Fish
Featuring the modern miracle of mechanical refrigeration.