Author Topic: Chute Release--handles--levers--knobs--??  (Read 23703 times)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Chute Release--handles--levers--knobs--??
« on: July 21, 2012, 11:57:13 PM »
HELP---I need inspiring---Anyone have any picts of MANUAL chute actuators????  I do not like what my weak age inhibited brain is conjuring uppp  post please
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

PatMc

Re: Chute Release--handles--levers--knobs--??
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 01:09:15 AM »
HELP---I need inspiring---Anyone have any picts of MANUAL chute actuators????  I do not like what my weak age inhibited brain is conjuring uppp  post please

Normal fashion is on the top of the rollcage as a lever.  You pull it towards you, and it pulls the cable.  Where the pivot point is controls how much cable it will move, and how much force.

I did it ghetto on my truck.  It's on the right side of the aluminum seat, and I pull upwards, right in line with the fire bottles, but a big handle.  If something nasty occurs, I start from dash and move back step by step:

Hit the kill.  Move down, Pop neutral.  Something is still wrong, move down to the chute, something still wrong, move down and hit the engine bottle (this also forces engine shutoff in my case), if it still doesn't work, I move down and  hit the last handle which is the cab bottle.  If that doesn't work, I use the ejection seat.

Note to self, put in sunroof...

A high quality teflon coated cable with few bends, all mild is the trick for me.  It can take a lot of effort to slide 16 feet of cable.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 01:11:55 AM by PatMc »

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 01:33:29 AM »
I personally wouldn't put anything on top of the cage and in front of me.  In a violent incident the unexpected can happen, and your just asking for a lobotomy.  I would do something like the JCB liner and others have done and put them on the side with a low friction morse cable. Tony

Picture is from the JCB World Fastest Diesel build book.
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

PatMc

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 01:40:04 AM »
If you just have a halo, yeah, you don't have room.  

And something I did not consider, since we wear bracelets, you could not reach a normal front hoop cage lever anyhow.

I think that's why I put them on the seat instead.

The lever that came with my $$$ Shroud chute came with a very small and cheezy lever.  With thick gloves, it was useless.

Yup, a cage setup is a lot different than a halo.  You have lots of room to mount things.

PatMc

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 01:53:10 AM »
What would be really cool is to steal the foot parking brake out of a truck and mount it.  Your hands can get real busy, but your left foot is ain't doing a lot in an emergency.  The parking brake cable is stout, and your foot is powerful.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2012, 10:00:56 AM »
Thats what Burkland suggested---but my foot box is very narrow and its pretty busy already ---thanks for the JCB photos Tony,  I am working with a central pivot with one coming back for primary and both forward for seconday,  but have reservations---my levers WILL not be that spiffy looking though

Pls keep the photos and thought coming guys---thanks sparky
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2012, 10:52:18 AM »
This is the chute release and fire control setup on the new 757 camaro (as of 2010 Mike Cook Shootout) right after they built it.

Larry

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2012, 10:56:50 AM »
This is the chute release handle used in the Tom Thumb special (2010)

Larry

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2012, 11:34:19 AM »
Fuel shutdown and chute pull ring left side of cockpit on roadster 652 (2009)

Nice setup from a biomechanical point of view one motion with the left hand can push the fuel shut off, and grab the ring and pull.

Larry

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 11:49:22 AM »
Think of all of the emergency possibilities. On fire, smoke everywhere, spinning . . .

You want something that you can hit without looking or thinking. Big, obvious and a natural motion with no obstructions.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2012, 12:15:42 PM »
Here are the chute and fire controls on the C FALT Pontiac 7878 (since renumbered) in 2007.

Larry

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2012, 12:30:39 PM »
Sparky, I used a brake lever off of one of my brother's old motorcycles. I was able to bend it to the shape I needed. It is stout enough to retain its' shape in normal use but can deform on impact. I figure this will keep it from turning into a weapon in case of an incident.  :cheers: Wayno

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2012, 12:35:35 PM »
Here is the chute release in the B/GCALT pontiac 363 (world of speed 2007)

Nice big grab ring!
Also it is placed near the center of the car which is helpful if the car is spinning or tumbling, G forces less likely to keep you from being able to reach it.

Larry
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 01:03:23 PM by hotrod »

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2012, 12:36:47 PM »
As seen in this shot my ignition and fuel shut offs areforward and down from the 'chute lever for a clean sweep.   Wayno

Offline dw230

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2012, 02:00:58 PM »
Take look at the Marlo Treit build thread. Knobs and handles are pieces of Mammoth tusk. I double dog dare you to out trick that one.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth