Author Topic: # 3838 Vinson / Allison Corvette  (Read 46432 times)

Offline Bob Drury

Re: # 3838 Vinson / Allison Corvette
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2012, 10:25:57 PM »
   Rob, there are lots of race cars for sale on this site year around and quite frankly I grew a little weary of your resurfacing advertisment every few weeks, even with its continuous drop in price.
   Not being one who enjoys eating crow (or fois gras or what ever that sh*t is called),  I want to personally congratulate you and the presumably broke owner for having the balls to bring a "unfinished" and for sale race car to the Salt and kicking its ass.
   If the car is ever to sell, this ought to do the trick, and if not, get rid of the Corvette Body and sell the rest for even more money.
  At the risk of being tarred and feathered, very few Land Speed Racers give a Rat's As* about Corvettes, but "records,", well thats a whole different story........... 
                                  Congrats from a "wannabee"......................... Bob
Bob Drury

Offline vette#128

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2012, 10:42:23 PM »
Well..... A FEW of us give a rat's As*  about Corvettes................
Ed
Ed Van Scoy
Four Deuces
(Salt,Dirt & Pavement)

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2012, 12:10:44 AM »
Ed, if you recall, I talked to you back in 08 about running a Vette as we had started the build about that time. Keith Turk had introduced us. Thank you for the great advise.

Bob, owners are definitely not broke and the car was not for sale when we were at Bonneville. The owners (two lifelong friends) bought the car about 8 weeks before Speedweek. I don't know how they avoided catching salt fever but  you know, this kind of racing is not for everybody. If the car does not sell, we will go to plan "B" and go back and try to break a few more records next year at Speedweek.
Btw, I've eaten more than my fair share of Crow. Of course my share is naturally large because I can't keep my mouth shut. LOL!
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline gray63

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2012, 07:28:30 AM »
Well..... A FEW of us give a rat's As*  about Corvettes................
Ed
We all have our favorites.
By the way, when did we start picking on others choices in Land Speed racers?
Dave
# 3611
56 Corvette

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2012, 01:18:06 PM »
We did all decided though that the transmission in this car was a home run once we worked through the bugs. We had twisted off the input shaft at the Ohio Mile on the cars first run. Since that time we have gone to a M300 input and intermediate shaft and also lifted off the throttle to shift. This kept the shock loads down on the rest of the drivetrain and kept us from breaking the tires loose during the shifts. Because the transmission has over running first couple of gears, shifts were very smooth. We are also using a custom valve body made by TMC which has a lot of safety features like reverse lockout, steering wheel shifting ( it was nice to be able to keep both hands on the wheel), and if the engine would ever lock-up, trans automatically (within about .2 seconds ) goes into neutral to keep from locking up the wheels.
Oh yeah, Coan had also built us a custom converter that has 3 clutch disk and a higher stall that acts like another gear split.
The shift pattern that we used was - 1st, second, third (1:1),  fourth was actually third with the converter lock-up, then fifth was overdrive with the converter locked up. Worked like a champ!
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2012, 07:42:10 PM »
   Rob, there are lots of race cars for sale on this site year around and quite frankly I grew a little weary of your resurfacing advertisment every few weeks, even with its continuous drop in price.
   Not being one who enjoys eating crow (or fois gras or what ever that sh*t is called),  I want to personally congratulate you and the presumably broke owner for having the balls to bring a "unfinished" and for sale race car to the Salt and kicking its Acura.
   If the car is ever to sell, this ought to do the trick, and if not, get rid of the Corvette Body and sell the rest for even more money.
  At the risk of being tarred and feathered, very few Land Speed Racers give a Rat's As* about Corvettes, but "records,", well thats a whole different story........... 
                                  Congrats from a "wannabee"......................... Bob
The tar is being heated, the feathers are in the bag. The party will start soon. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline salt27

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2012, 07:59:04 PM »
Glen,
Please make sure the tar and feathers are at least SFI 3.2A/15.

I wouldn't want this to interfere with his record persuit.

Besides that, knowing Bob he would probably enjoy it. :-D

Don

Offline Tman

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2012, 08:06:23 PM »
It'a OK Glen, if Bob doesn't get his one run he gets crochetier each off season.

Bob, lighten up. Perusing your recent posts would make Kaptain Kangaroo wanna stick his head in the oven and turn on the gas! :-D :-o :evil:

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2012, 08:45:19 PM »
Rob, it was great seeing you on the salt, and even better seeing you enjoy success!  :cheers:

I'm moving the rig closer to you this week(Marionville), so hopefully we can catch up again!
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2012, 11:56:44 PM »
Rob, it was great seeing you on the salt, and even better seeing you enjoy success!  :cheers:

I'm moving the rig closer to you this week(Marionville), so hopefully we can catch up again!

It was great to see you and your hot rod on the salt also. I will be in touch sometime this week. Marionvilel is close.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2012, 11:18:59 PM »
This is what the horsepower curve looks like that we ran at Speedweek to set the record.
We only spun the engine 5800rpm in high gear (overdrive). At this 7.5 lb of boost, that is just about all she wanted to spin as power met wind resistance. We should be able to make 30 psi of boost but I had designed the package to run at 25 psi and it should live pretty long at that power level. If nobody buys it, I would like to add piston squirters and valves spring oilers for next year. I'm trying to just keep thinking about longevity, longevity, longevity. I've been studying what the offshore boat guys have been doing.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 11:21:11 PM by robfrey »
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2012, 05:17:39 PM »
As it stands right now, looks like we will be running the car again in the Modified Sports classes next year. Blue has some ideas to fix the aero problems associated with the stock body.
Taking this car to Bonneville also solves some logistics problems associated with the NACA 66 Special streamliner as we planned on taking two trucks w trailers anyway.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #27 on: December 22, 2012, 08:19:32 PM »
Getting back to work on the Vette a bit.
Here are some weight numbers we were running.
4620. lbs total vehicle weight.
55.4% of that weight on the rear wheels.
This could explain the handling issues.
Also, the 61 gallon ice water tank was not baffled. The sloshing added to the driving challenge.
Our recommendation to the car owners is to let us build a baffled 25 gallon icewater tank where the turbos are now and move the turbos to the rear.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2013, 08:32:19 PM »
Finally got started mocking up on the spoiler as we make the move to modified sports.

496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2013, 08:52:48 PM »
In A/BGMS?

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ