Author Topic: What class would a 1965 Chevy panel truck run in?  (Read 22568 times)

Offline Monolith

• New folks
Re: What class would a 1965 Chevy panel truck run in?
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2012, 09:37:44 PM »
Sorry about the quick response earlier, just wanted to get the ruling out there. I'm definitely going to start building a truck this summer. Do I pick up the log book before the build starts? Right now, I'm pretty much a one man show on this project-I'll have a friend or 2 to crew when the time comes, but I anticipate that I'll be building this thing myself-I'm no mechanic, but I'm a fast learner and have been messing with these trucks for a few years now. I can weld passibly, stick and mig, but I'm not certified.I'm a newbie when it comes to engines-but I'm in the middle of rebuilding a 250 and I have a spare. I'd be happy to help around your pit in september, Pat, even if it's just holding shade or fetching wrenches and drinks. I know I have a ton to learn, and am anxious to learn it.
Baz

PatMc

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2012, 09:54:01 PM »
Here's the issue, it's going cost a few thousand more to run in PRO than a class with a lower MPH, and you won't get anywhere near 180 at Elmo with less than 500hp, and that's being wildly optimistic.  Better guess would 700rwhp minimum.

A Dodge SRT-10 is more aerodynamic than any truck prior to 1990.  It has a V10 with 500HP.  Dodge engineers drove it to a top speed of 145mph for promotional purpose "Fastest Truck".  A modified version went about 250mph at Bonneville.

Let me look through the book.  Are you stuck at E engine size?

PS - Sometimes it's better to ask for forgivenness than permission.  Personally, I'd have stuck PP stickers on it.  I doubt with a 260ci engine you would break a record, so protesting would have been a moot point.

Now put a diesel engine in middle of it, and the MDT record is about 160, and you can run up to 750ci and unlimited turbo boost.  You'd have a solid shot at that.  Get a cheap 12v Cummins, run staged turbos on pump fuel, and you'd git-er-dun.

I'm planning on running a slow arse bike in Sept.  We might use "Casper" (our DT kinetic energy weapon) as the chase truck.  It will certainly beat the motorcycle to the end of the course.  You are welcome to be my Pit Crew, but to be honest, the boss is insane and the pay svcks.  But food and beer are free.

Offline fastman614

« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2012, 12:39:45 AM »
As has been alluded to in earlier posts..... class legality is more academic than real if a record is not set. Remember - the rules state that it is the entrant's responsibility to be properly classified - NOT the thech inspectors" responsibility (although some inspectors do try to make it their responsibility).

Speaking of class legality, inadvertantly, in 2006, we had our lakester entered in C/ClassicGasAltered.....due to someone incorrectly entering the incorrect computer code (for the body) on the entry....YUP.... THAT IS WHAT THE WRONG CODE CAN GET YOU!.... anyway, we were 25 mph short of the coupe record and we were also licensing drivers so nobody really cared and nobody protested us.

What could happened though is somebody could run an obviously illegal for the class vehicle and get a first place trophy - and not really be eligible to receive it.... it used to say that the fastest car had to be within 3% of the record to get it (or was it a smaller percentage than that - I haven't looked recently)
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline dw230

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2012, 10:40:37 AM »
Thank you for your input Pat. With your insight it appears that I don't need to go to the races anymore. Please cancel my room.

I am reminded of an old saying, it's our ball, so our rules for the game. You know how to apply for a rule change, I have seen your suugestions in the past.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

PatMc

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2012, 02:50:51 PM »
Thank you for your input Pat. With your insight it appears that I don't need to go to the races anymore. Please cancel my room.

I am reminded of an old saying, it's our ball, so our rules for the game. You know how to apply for a rule change, I have seen your suugestions in the past.

DW

Love you Dan, and you are a cornerstone of LSR racing in the US.  I appreciate all you do.

Good luck at Bonneville this year, and hope everyone stays safe.  Wish I could go.  But like the last couple years, I can't.

But I race for fun, as do a lot of other folk.  Not to dis Monolith's truck, but it's not going to go fast enough with a normal engine on a budget to be a 175mph class safety risk.  Even an F1 engine probably would not do it N/A.   Running in a 175+ class is a lot more expensive, especially if you're never going to get close to there.  If I wanted to start racing LSR, I would not start with that truck.  I'd buy a cheap sedan and go from there, or run diesel classes.

Why?  It's too damn big.  It's a truck.  Sedans are far smaller, even the biggest ones. 

I didn't suggest running DT because as you said, the ruling is that it's a car, UNLESS you go modified.  Modified does not say pickup in it, any truck can run AFAIK.

I'm still looking through the book how he run his truck most effectively, and so far I'm coming up empty.

Dan,

If you had his truck, what would you do, assuming money and points are important to you?  What is your best advice for his situation, if he's in it for fun?

PatMc

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2012, 04:11:35 PM »
Sorry if I offended anyone, it was not my intention.  My apologies.

Let's get honest, trucks are not race cars.  People who race trucks mostly do it because they love trucks, not because it makes sense.

Everybody knows what the fastest car is, and the fastest bike, and the quickest, but only the hardcore know what the fastest or quickest trucks are.

Think about it.  Why does SCTA even have truck classes?  It makes no sense, trucks are slow, and aren't designed to race.  Because there is a small group of hardcore truck lovers.

I'm one of them, but I love cars and bikes too.   

Guys race barstools, tractors, lawnmowers, etc, etc.

If the truck guys think Monolith isn't playing fair with his truck, then the truck guys will jump him.  El Mirage is about good times, and going fast in the dirt.  There is no prize money, no sponsors, no grandstands, no trophy girls.  It's akin to AutoX or Desert Racing.  It's all about the racing, the entertainment factor is with the crews, drivers, and hardcore race lovers.

Racing isn't always fun.  But it should be.

PatMc

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2012, 04:15:57 PM »
PSS - Dan, you know a LOT more about LSR than I do.  I'm pretty sure everyone knows that.  I'm just a SCTA member, a club member, a racer, and a worker. 

Smart people should listen to you, not me.  I'm a lesson on how do things the hard way.  :D

Offline Monolith

• New folks
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2012, 02:40:24 AM »
I have a pickup that I'll be using as a platform for my E/PP endeavors( actually, I have a 1/2 ton and a 3/4 ton.)
My logic is this: I have the truck already, I'm familiar with this series of trucks, the record is at a lower speed, so I can build, drive, learn with less resources expended and at a slower safer level. If I decide to get nuts(which I probably will after a few seasons of this) I can always expand on the platform and go with a bigger motor or run modified.
I'll save the panel for a street worthy project.
I'm a truck lover as well, I saw that Ford Unibody this year and that really drove home to me that I could do this-that I didn't have to go out and spend tons of cash on a roadster, or spend years designing a streamliner from the ground up. I really appreciate the input and am happy to listen to the guys who know. I'll bet with some good solid effort I can get pretty close to 120mph in an old chevy truck, or at least have a hell of a lot of fun trying. :)

PatMc

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2012, 03:08:08 AM »
I have a pickup that I'll be using as a platform for my E/PP endeavors( actually, I have a 1/2 ton and a 3/4 ton.)
My logic is this: I have the truck already, I'm familiar with this series of trucks, the record is at a lower speed, so I can build, drive, learn with less resources expended and at a slower safer level. If I decide to get nuts(which I probably will after a few seasons of this) I can always expand on the platform and go with a bigger motor or run modified.
I'll save the panel for a street worthy project.
I'm a truck lover as well, I saw that Ford Unibody this year and that really drove home to me that I could do this-that I didn't have to go out and spend tons of cash on a roadster, or spend years designing a streamliner from the ground up. I really appreciate the input and am happy to listen to the guys who know. I'll bet with some good solid effort I can get pretty close to 120mph in an old chevy truck, or at least have a hell of a lot of fun trying. :)

A pickup bed is way better than a van bed,  Too much area in the back that the air has to move into.

E PRO Pickup is a possible record, but not if you use a Panel Truck.  Get the body as low as possible before building the cage, use a bed cover, and there are other tricks I can help with.

Offline Monolith

• New folks
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2012, 03:20:00 AM »
Be assured-I will be asking you a TON of questions!

Offline dw230

« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2012, 01:52:58 PM »
There you go Pat. Monolith mentioned that he has a 1/2 ton truck and wants to run E/PP. That would be my suggestion.

The pickup classes were formed at a time when trucks hit an all time level of popularity. Witness the now deceased Pro Truck class at NHRA. NASCAR trucks are still racing, although you cannot see that from the empty seats on tv. Off Road trucks, show trucks, the number of vendors of truck parts at SEMA, etc. The classes were put into place so that those that wished to run a truck did not have to compete against an Altered or Gas Coupe. The difference in size was taken into consideration. As with all new classes, see Classic Category, certain restrictions were put into place in order to keep the class some what cost effective.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Monolith

• New folks
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2012, 04:57:07 PM »

I'm planning on running a slow arse bike in Sept.  We might use "Casper" (our DT kinetic energy weapon) as the chase truck.  It will certainly beat the motorcycle to the end of the course.  You are welcome to be my Pit Crew, but to be honest, the boss is insane and the pay svcks.  But food and beer are free.

Let me know where and when to show up. I dont need much food or beer, just some insight and teaching from someone who's been down the track. Hell, I'd love to learn about bikes as well. Always been curious, never ridden one more than a block or two.