Author Topic: Air intake for cabin pressurization  (Read 9333 times)

Offline azgearhed

• 1979 Z-28 AA/CBGC & AA/CGC & AA/CBGALT
Air intake for cabin pressurization
« on: June 03, 2012, 02:02:37 PM »
When we were at El Mirage in May(as rookies) we were told during inspection that our air intake from the parking light bezel was not legal. I had run a length of exhaust flex tube from the parking light bezel(lens removed) through the firewall. We made six runs and had no dirt in the car, so I guess it worked. I wanted to get the cabin air intake source as far forward as possible in case the car was ever trailing fire or smoke. If I just move the flex pipe intake to behind the grill, would that be legal or would it be considered blocking the grill? I saw bumper air intake tubes on the C/GMS #2002 Corvette, so I thought what I was doing would be ok also. Whadayathink?   Tim #636 AA/CGC

« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 05:43:20 PM by azgearhed »
BC Racing 1979 Z-28
AA/CBGC Record 251.802 Speed Week 2012
AA/CBGALT Record 255.382 Speed Week 2013
AA/CBGC Record 226.104 El Mirage Sept 2015
AA/CBFALT Record 227.954 El Mirage June 2016
AA/CBGC Record 267.878 Speed Week 2018
AA/CBGALT Record 236.458 El Mirage Nov 2016
It's a lot of work to have fun...

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Re: Air intake for cabin pressurization
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 12:17:21 AM »
Only thought I have is you're a GC & 2002 is a MS......

Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 12:49:18 AM »
The paragraph in the Gas Coupe rules (5.D.3) that starts, "The following items shall be retained..." includes parking lights.  As long as your air intake doesn't contribute to "blocking of air flow thru the radiator", I'd think your fix would pass. 

But, as always, Your Mileage May Vary, so consult the appropriate SCTA official, Bobby Sykes Jr. I'd guess, contact info in the rulebook.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 01:10:33 AM »
So was this a tech issue or a classing issue?  If tech there should have been something put into your log book annotating what the issue was and what need to be done in order to fix it. 
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline azgearhed

• 1979 Z-28 AA/CBGC & AA/CGC & AA/CBGALT
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 09:06:55 PM »
Nathan- I think since we were rookies and could not run against a record, the guy in tech(don't know his name) was just commenting that in CGC you can't alter anything with the parking lights, headlights etc. and therefore my air intake was not legal in GC
BC Racing 1979 Z-28
AA/CBGC Record 251.802 Speed Week 2012
AA/CBGALT Record 255.382 Speed Week 2013
AA/CBGC Record 226.104 El Mirage Sept 2015
AA/CBFALT Record 227.954 El Mirage June 2016
AA/CBGC Record 267.878 Speed Week 2018
AA/CBGALT Record 236.458 El Mirage Nov 2016
It's a lot of work to have fun...

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 09:52:47 PM »
Yes, but he could have done you a favor by noting it in your Log Book.  The next time, you're not a rookie, and you might have set a record, and you might have got away with it (not that you were trying), but to do it and then get turned down would be devastating. If it was in your Log Book, you probably would have fixed it.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 10:05:29 PM »
I had the same question, my tubing stopped just behind my turn signal light on my D/ CGALT. In ALT I beleive I can intall a duct to bring air directly into the car through the turn signal area. Never did get a clear answer if I could or could not. Then if I bring that much air in, I will need to add a vent for it to exit. the car had no issues with blowing out windows with the way the vent was behind the valance but that might change if I changed it to duct directly from the turn signal area.

Tim, I took a long look at your car last August. Thats a nice lad speed car. I did not mean to hyjack but have the same delima when I get the front end back on my car.

Bill
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 12:31:17 AM »
Nathan- I think since we were rookies and could not run against a record, the guy in tech(don't know his name) was just commenting that in CGC you can't alter anything with the parking lights, headlights etc. and therefore my air intake was not legal in GC

Well if it's a classing issue I'd first do whatever is necessary to be legal for the class (re-install the turn signal) and then find a spot for a forward facing air vent.  Seems like I've seen many in the area where a wind wing used to live.  Basically just a fill plate with a hole in it and a little duct to get the air to go into the hole.  You've got one piece windows so you could do the same thing - put a little hole up in the front corner of the window and put something over it that acts like a duct and points forward. 
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 11:46:55 AM »
I'm with Nathan, put the turn signal lens back on, move the vent center 3 or 4 inches left or right and drill new spot. 
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O