Author Topic: Cheapest motorcycle leathers?  (Read 5087 times)

PatMc

Cheapest motorcycle leathers?
« on: July 18, 2012, 04:11:50 PM »
Looking for a source(s) for the cheapest motorcycle leathers that will pass SCTA (new).
Not going very fast, and have excellent helmet, gloves, and boots.  I don't street ride or roadrace anymore, so they don't have to last long.

Offline 55chevr

Re: Cheapest motorcycle leathers?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2012, 04:46:35 PM »
Z Leathers are reasonably priced.

Joe

PatMc

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 08:46:00 PM »
Do you mean www.zcustom.com?

PatMc

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 09:09:19 PM »
It appears that Portogear? will sell a no-vents, no perfs, no fabric plain 1-pc suit for $475.  They also sell leather gay sex garments as well, so perhaps it can be used in the off-season as well.

PatMc

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 09:53:27 PM »
I just had a set of cheap craigslist leathers brought up to spec at Speed Sport Leather.  I'll let you know how the work came out, but I can say Amanda's customer service is top notch.  I'll have about $500 total in a set of legal leathers of good quality.  I also have a set of small leathers that could be purchased if you're a little guy.  They are older Dianese and SCTA legal.

I'm a little guy if you're talking sumo wrestlers, otherwise I'm like a 50 in leathers, (6'1" x 255lb).  I was thinking of just buying a whole cow, gut it, and wear that, but I'm pretty sure the coyotes would eat me before the event.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2012, 10:47:08 PM »
I don't think so -- they're more discriminating than you may give them credit for.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

PatMc

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2012, 11:14:16 PM »
I don't think so -- they're more discriminating than you may give them credit for.

Sidebar - partially related...

We finished dinner (I'm the cook in the family), and after a while I feed the dogs the leftovers.

One dog walks up to it, sniffs it briefly, then walks away.  It sits down, and starts licking it's ...  uh ... posterior.

You know you need to get a new cookbook when dogs would rather lick their fanny than taste your cooking.

PatMc

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 06:09:16 PM »
BINGO!  Craig's list is your friend!!!  Got an excellent set of AGV Sports, all leather that fit me like a glove for $120.  Bizarre.  Nothing in my life works out that easy, there must be a catch.

#1 problem is that they are "pretty".  Don't want to anyone to think I'm a clothes horse.

Funny thing though.  These weigh 12lb, seems a lot heavier than 30 years ago.  Or I'm getting weaker.

I didn't want to get "hand-me-downs" (I grew up wearing all used clothes from Goodwill or my older brother) but these are 90%+  I don't think the guy wore them more than once or twice, and never crashed.  Even the knees are still shiny.

:cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 08:34:51 PM »
My Z Leathers suit weighs in at 13#, Nancy's (with less built-in armor) about 10#.  I don't think the 12 lbs you have is all that out of the ordinary.  so - will we see you in flaming pink or embarrassing orange - or what?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2012, 08:38:31 PM »
Some of the AGV stuff looks like what Elvis wore in the Vegas shows ... glad you found it nice and cheap.

PatMc

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2012, 09:13:32 PM »
My Z Leathers suit weighs in at 13#, Nancy's (with less built-in armor) about 10#.  I don't think the 12 lbs you have is all that out of the ordinary.  so - will we see you in flaming pink or embarrassing orange - or what?

They are white, blue, and black.  Yamaha?  Old KTM?  I was going to order all white so I could hide easier when I screwed up.  My old ones were just black, and hot, and no armor.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2012, 09:20:45 PM »
Jon;

"..flaming pink or embarrassing orange..."

I thought a purple firesuit was the established "out of the ordinary" color.  :roll:

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

PatMc

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2012, 10:05:02 PM »
Wow.  I didn't know they made Maternity Leathers.  I look freakin' preggy and wifey took a pic.   :-(

Is there a record for giving birth on a bike?  Surely one of those new reality shows would pick up on it.