Author Topic: Smoke colored lexan  (Read 4721 times)

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
Smoke colored lexan
« on: July 17, 2012, 11:58:26 AM »
In regard to replacing the windows in my friends A/BGT Corvette, is it okay to use smoke colored lexan on side windows and back glass?
We still have to use the stock windshield, correct?
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Offline RichFox

Re: Smoke colored lexan
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 12:29:35 PM »
Real answers come from the SCTA. But i had smoke Lexan all the way around on my Altered 32 Ford. The windshield was less dark that the others. But all were tinted. The Highway patrol might not have liked it. But it was OK with the SCTA

« Last Edit: July 17, 2012, 12:31:49 PM by RichFox »

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 12:42:40 PM »
Rich is correct & yes, the stock windshield is fine.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 12:57:46 PM »
Thanks guys! Lexan is ordered from Proglass. As it turns out, if we wanted 1/4" thick, it was only available in clear.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

PatMc

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2012, 04:02:03 PM »
I bought my lexan by the sheet from a company in San Diego, and all thk's were available clear, grey, black, and white, IIRC.

http://www.eplastics.com/Plastic/Lexan_Polycarbonate_Sheet.

They will also cut the pieces per blueprint if you wish.  I used a skilsaw.

Problem is forming it.  It's easy to do if you have a big oven.  Most folk don't.

You clamp it to your existing glass, then put in the oven at ~250F for 4 hrs to get the water out of it.  Then you bring the temp up to 300°F? to actually change the shape.  If you don't do the water thing, it can end up with bubbles in it.  I did my Windjammer fairing many years ago, and learned the bubble thing the hard way.

PatMc

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 04:04:25 PM »
PS - I'm curious about how you do the window clips on a vette, since the body is polymer.  I assume you still need window clips even with plastic?

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 11:57:31 PM »
I really like the tinted Makrolon ploycarb. It was just dark enough to cut down on the light intensity without being obnoxious. I could be mistaken but I think it seemed to help the inside of the car be a degree cooler.

~JH
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)