Author Topic: Kirkey seat for my 62 Falcon  (Read 3640 times)

Offline craigibc

Kirkey seat for my 62 Falcon
« on: July 16, 2012, 03:55:09 PM »
Is this seat going to be legal for what I need? SCTA El Mirage

http://www.kirkeyracing.com/index.php?link=browse&code=Series16

From what I read and see up at El Mirage seems to be the right seat or something similar.

Thanks!

Craig

PatMc

Re: Kirkey seat for my 62 Falcon
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 03:59:41 PM »
That's what I used, with the Kirkey cover.  You will still need side-to-side head restraints that limit helmet movement to 2".  I used tubular restraints that bolted to the rollcage, then covered with SFI rated rollbar padding.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 04:01:32 PM »
Submit your question to the Coupe and sedan committee on the SCTA web site.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

PatMc

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 04:21:13 PM »
Another thing to be careful of is the tilt angle.

We set our Kirkey as was normal for roadsters and NHRA, with the helmet 2" lower than the cage.  Then we were asked to move the seat down 4 more inches just in case.  Not sure why, but it was a major re-do.  Now I have 6" clearance from the rollcage to helmet, and 10" to the steel body.

If you buy one that leans back a lot, it might be safer.  It's easier to raise a seat than lower it once your cage is finished.

Offline craigibc

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 04:48:38 PM »
The only issue I have with the angled seat is it will affect the location of the roll bar behind my head. If it needs to be moved it will throw the seat off.

Any insight?

PatMc

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 05:22:18 PM »
The only issue I have with the angled seat is it will affect the location of the roll bar behind my head. If it needs to be moved it will throw the seat off.

Any insight?

First, I'm a rookie, I can tell more about what DOESN'T pass tech than what does, this just applies to a truck, and to what happened to our build.

It's tough.  Like the chicken and the egg, do you make the cage match the seat, or the seat match the cage?  If your cage has a roadster-style halo (funny car style), then you have be able it fit under it with couple inches AFAIK.  If you are a coupe without a halo, it's up to the inspector to indicate how much head clearance is required.

In my case I had SCTA inspectors look at the cage and seat while the truck was gutted and in the building stage and got the thumbs up (it was correctly done per book).  The guy who did our cage was an expert at LSR cages, and has done several coupes.  We ran twice as much protection as was required.  I ran Bville and AOK for the cage and seat.  Later I was told I needed more headroom.  That changes the shoulder bar, the hip mounts, the floor mounts, the levers, etc, etc.

When I go to build another, I will do the halo.  I got it hunch it will be forced on all the coupes eventually anyhow.  Nobody is going to question a well done halo.  But if I didn't have the time or money for a halo, I'd mount the seat as low as is possible.  It's been 30 years since I drove a Falcon (3 on the tree) and I can't remember how tall they are.  I know it can be a problem with a full sized truck with an upright seat, but I also know it can work in a Vette.  I can't sit in our vette with my head under the rollbar.  I scrunch down when going through NHRA tech.

Disclaimer:  This advice is worth what you pay for it.  Not valid in Hawaii or Alaska.  If you are under 6' tall, this probably doesn't even apply.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 05:29:26 PM by PatMc »

Offline craigibc

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 06:43:04 PM »
If the seat is mounted on the floor we should have no issue with headroom my only concern will be not mounting the hoop to close to the seat.

Craig

PatMc

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 07:25:28 PM »
I'd make a plywood profile dummy that is bolted at the knee, hip, and neck.  Head is helmet sized.  Use some PVC and joints to mimic the cage.

I have a ton of extra plywood you can have for free, but someone already got my PVC.  Wish I would have done that, lesson learned.

Also, if you are going to drop the body relative to the frame, do that first.  Big mistake on my part.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2012, 07:31:30 PM »
That's the seat I have. 

Caution - you'll need to modify it to draw your seatbelt at the prescribed angle as per the rulebook.  The lap belt needs to draw tight on you, not the seat.

A couple of slots for the belt should do the trick.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 10:39:24 PM »
This is what I put in Amy's camaro. Its a Kirkey 20deg lay back. Hope it helps. It sits much like the stock seat angle.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 10:54:35 PM by Captthundarr »
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15