Author Topic: New to salt on just an old stocker?  (Read 5990 times)

Offline Mad Max

• New folks
New to salt on just an old stocker?
« on: July 14, 2012, 12:27:21 PM »
This is something I have wanted since I was 18. Now 62 I am finally going to make it. I am just doing the "run what ya brung" category on a 1977 Suzuki GS750 that I rebuilt from a $100 Sheriff sale investment. I affectionately call him "Mad Max" as he somewhat resembles the bikes found in the old Mad Max movies. My goals are to go as fast as I can and not be embarrassed. Are there many stock old bikes there? It seems that all I hear about is the super modified 200mph+ racing teams. I'm just an old guy on an old bike. My crew consists of a friend, an ex-wife, and my dogs. I have a small shop where I convert old bikes into my "Mad Max" version of a cafe' racer. www.madmaxmachines.com I am looking forward to the experience and to meeting new people that share a common interest. I would appreciate any info from those of you with prior experience.
Thanks

Offline AHG

Re: New to salt on just an old stocker?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 10:09:34 PM »
The following link is what every person new to the salt should read.
http://www.speedtrialsbybub.com/spec.html

Next, Please read the RWB rules in their entirety, so as to be better prepared,
and make things easier when going through technical inspection prior to racing.
http://www.speedtrialsbybub.com/2012_event/Run_Watcha_Brung12-v9.pdf

Bringing pets (dogs) is not highly suggested, because of the conditions on the salt flats,
but if one opts to do so, please bring plenty of water, and whatever is needed to clean up after them.

Prepare to enjoy the World's only all motorcycle landspeed racing event.
 :-D * * The BUB Motorcycle Speed Trials * *  :-D
 http://www.speedtrialsbybub.com/2012_event/index-2012.html
~ I CAN COUNT MY LIFE ON ONE HAND ~
Faith, Family, Friends, & Fast Motorcycles

Offline Cereal KLR

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 10:40:54 PM »
Welcome to the fun! We have been going the last five years now and always have a couple run whatca brung in our group. This time we have a 80`s Kawasaki 1100 and a BMW 1100 brick motored lump to sacrifice..er,run. Be prepared to meet the best people in racing who will share their knowledge and love of the salt. Age is of no consequence, attitude and enthusiasm is the common bond.

Book rooms as soon as possible as it fills up fast. Food as sometimes blech,other times decent. Altitude is sometimes tough on the carbed bikes,bring jets if you have some extra.

Hope to see you out there in August!  
I thought I would die young, but now its too late.

Offline Mad Max

• New folks
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 11:48:35 PM »
Thanks for all of the good input. My dog goes everywhere with me and I will take care of him and bring his clean up items. My bike is a stock GS750 that I have made a few modifications to(appearance only). Does anyone know the approximate elevation at the track? I will be sure to read all of the tech specks and rules. Already have my room at the Knights Inn.

Offline Cereal KLR

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 01:10:46 AM »
As mentioned,some do brings dogs but be cautioned, it can be very loud at times and the salt on their paws if ingested could be dangerous. The elevation is approx 4200 feet, but research Bonneville density altitude for a better explanation of how conditions change during the day.   
I thought I would die young, but now its too late.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 01:15:54 AM »
Max, you might want to visit the place first before you bring a pet.  Besides the other things mentioned, it is very bright there.  We wear sun glasses.  The pooch cannot. 

Offline coloradodave

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 08:06:17 AM »
I had a brand new pair of Chuck Taylor's that I bought 5 years ago, I wear them only at SpeedWeek so that would mean they only have 5 weeks of wear, I threw them away yesterday because the sole was worn out and the canvas was rotting from the salt, might be a bit harsh for the puppy?? Just a little insight, have a great time.
No regrets

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 10:05:52 AM »
get the pooch some dog shoes and get his used to wearing them before coming to the salt.  Have seen several dogs on the salt with shoes.  The salt is moist and cool, it won't burn their feet but it will make their pads sore.  They will lick their feet and get way too much salt. 
Oh, good luck with your runs, stop by and say hi to the other Mad Max.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Marty

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 06:39:16 PM »
Hey Mad Max,
                    Good to see an old GS 750 out there. You will have fun. My first dragbike was a well modified GS750. Used to run 11.10's all day. It will really respond to high lift cams exhaust and pour the fuel to her, mine ran on methanol thru 29mm smoothbores back in the day. BOY sure brings back some memories, see ya there buddy.

Offline maj

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2012, 07:03:55 PM »
Yep DA gets pretty high
6000 pretty common, into 7000's often too

Offline Mad Max

• New folks
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 11:25:31 AM »
Decided to leave the dogs at home this time.

Offline Freud

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 11:42:26 AM »
Wise choice.

It will be happy to see you when you get home.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline makr

• I make my own rules
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2012, 11:10:26 AM »
Good on you to get out there.

May want to leave the ex-wife...If she didn't hate enough before, she will after this. teehee

BTW, I drive to Salt Lake every night, and have several GS's, so if you need parts look me up (loud, yellow, 2stoke Yamaha).
Ride fast, safety last.

https://speedofcheeseracing.com/

Offline Mad Max

• New folks
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2012, 12:12:03 PM »
Thanks makr, I hope I wont need any parts. I think my son is going to come with me and the ex staying at home. I wish I could get my most recient project finished...1984 Honda Interceptor VF700F. Got the time but not the funds right now.