Author Topic: I qualified - now what?  (Read 7033 times)

Offline dw230

I qualified - now what?
« on: July 10, 2012, 05:00:03 PM »
I think it is time for my annual "what to expect in Impound" post.

Qualifying runs continue each day until closing. Starting on the second day, Sunday, qualifying runs began right after the last return record run.

1. All times posted or announced are Utah times, MST. If you are staying somewhere in NV and you set your clock to PDT you are 1 hour too late for anything.

2. To qualify you must exceed the existing record by .001 MPH. If you are competiting in class with no record, i.e. open, then any speed will earn you a spot in the Impound yard. If you are one of the 5 or 6 time only vehicles there is no record available and you need read no further. If the record in your class has been raised and the vehicle certified you must qualify on the new record. Daily records are posted each morning as well as an accumlated record list for the week.

3. The Impound trailer will be set up at the entrance to Impound. It is similar to all the other SCTA-BNI trailers in that it is white with Save the Salt and red/blue stripes. You must proceed directly to the Impound following your qualifying run.

You have 1 hour to make the yard based on the time stamp on your timing slip. If you have a problem making the 1 hour please come see me directly and I am sure we can resolve the issue. Do not drive/tow back to the pits to get tools, sun shade, etc. Please do not enter Impound from the pits by pulling up the tape barrier. You will be disqualified and have to rerun.

4. When entering the Impound all cars must stop at the trailer and present their time slips and the white Entry Form. This form is the paper you recieve following passing tech inspection, it is attached to the inspection form. The sign in person will fill out a blue certification card, attach the time slip and entry form and instruct you to find a parking spot.

All motorcycles will bypass the trailer and proceed directilty across the yard to the motorcycle trailer for check in.

5. There will 3 or 4 people to check your car for gas and body complience. Please be patience as somtimes they cannot keep up with the influx of cars. The person will fill out your blue cert card(we keep one copy of the time slip, copies are availble from the slip stand) and check the seal on the gas tank if you are in a gas class. The body of your car will be checked for class complience at this time. You cannot add or remove any body pieces in preparation for the return run once the vehicle is in Impound.

You will have up to 4 hours to check your car and do any repairs needed for the return run. If you are a record contender I suggest that you give yourself plenty of post qualifying time to do this maintenance. The official pit closer is required to run everyone out by a certain time, TBA, each evening.

A ground tarp is required while in Impound. If you leave the tarp and jack stands, etc. in your spot in the morning when you leave for record runs I ask that you pick the stuff up by 10 AM as I will have more qualifiers looking for spots by then.

6. If you need to top off your tank with gas to make the miles in the morning you can do it either while in the yard or the next morning. You must bring a separate container, sealed at the fuel trailer, to use for the refill. I will have people available to observe your refill from the container and reseal your tank.

7. The next morning is when we do the return runs. Both halves of the record attempt must be done before qualifying can resume. Weather can cause holds in the program so keep tuned to your CB radio.

Everyone waits for me at landsend, security will hold you there so please be polite and it will work out. I arrive at approx. 5:30 AM and will be the person who opens the gate. We will enter the salt as a group and proceed to the Impound. You can go to your pits for tools and needed items. You will have until 7 AM, when we head for the starting lines, to prep your car for the run. You must be outside the gate or on your way to the gate(traffic conditions can be awful) by 7 AM or you will need to requalify. Late arrivals will have to requalify.

When the Impound clears for record runs please have your brother-in-law, uncle Jim or whoever has brought a car or truck into the Impound take it with them. I don't want to push a locked rental out of the way when I need room.

8. I will tell evryone in the Impound what the program will be for record runs each day. It may change so I cannot give a "cast in stone" answer now.

I put this together off the top of my head, please ask questions if you are uncear as to what to expect.

Good luck all,

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline GH

Re: I qualified - now what?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 05:33:26 PM »
Dan, you and your helpers do a great job in the impound area. I have needed more fuel and have thrashed in the impound area and you were always very helpful. I will miss all this very much.

Offline dw230

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 12:36:45 AM »
Me too Gary.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline V4F STR 60

• Montana Dodge Boys Fast Four Special
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 10:01:22 AM »
That just gave me butterflies...   :-D

You do a great job Dan!   :cheers:
Montana Dodge Boys Fast Four Special
1928 Dodge Brothers Vintage Flathead Four Cylinder Roadster & Lakester

Landspeed Records

Bonneville

2009 V4F/STR 115.681
2009 V4F/GR 116.439
2009 V4F/FR 117.597
2010 V4F/BSTR 127.352
2012 V4F/BFMR 130.843
2013 V4F/BGMR 142.956
2013 V4F/BFMR 143.254
2013 V4F/BGR 138.395
2013 V4F/BFR 138.984

El Mirage

2016 V4F/BGMR 140.961

www.facebook.com/MontanaDodgeBoys
www.fastfourspecial.com

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 12:22:32 AM »
9. Dont break a spark plug off in the head in your hour to work on it.

Sorry, had to add.....still keeps me up at night!!!!

~JH
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline jimwebb

• Nuts Racing Home
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2012, 11:19:06 AM »
Be sure to set your morning alarm for Utah time and have about five other people coordinate the time to get to impound. I can tell you, impound is a lonely place when you're the only one there after record runs have begun!
The Big Red Truck From Texas
Chock Full O' Nuts
Record Holder AA/PP A/PP B/PP C/PP D/PP (Oops, Larry got this one!) E/PP

Offline GH

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 11:30:38 AM »
I remember my first trip to Bonneville back in 1997. I hauled Jack Whites motorcycle out. He qualified for a record and we showed up in impound about 2 minutes before the gate closed. I had to go to the porta-potty as soon as we got there and Dan told Jack that he had 2 minutes to get out the gate, so Jack pushed it out the gate. We had wasted our time in town looking for ice, some joker had all the ice at the supermarket in 2 shopping carts just as we got there. We almost learned that leason the hard way.

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2012, 02:48:45 PM »
I wouldn't mind being lonely in impound.

Offline Dakin Engineering

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2012, 05:29:12 PM »

Don't give up if the weather ~less than optimal~ at dawn.

http://youtu.be/Nuk4mv_INcY

Sam
Turbo Sportsters since '97