Author Topic: Salt Talks 2012  (Read 10932 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Salt Talks 2012
« on: July 07, 2012, 09:12:53 PM »
Okay - here is the first official post/thread about the 2012 version(s) of Salt Talks, the Land Speed Racer Gathering that Jon Amo started way back when, and that Nancy and I sorta helped by taking over from Jon on the physical hassles back in '04 or '05 or so, and that we've kept running and growing since we bought the site from JA in '08.  There's your introductory paragraph.

In case you don't know - and there are new folks on the Forum that haven't been out the SpeedWeek - Salt Talks is the in-person get-together for everyone during SpeedWeek*.  We've got it down pat to happen on Sunday evening of SpeedWeek at the Bend in the Road.  We usually have about 400 people - races, crews, officials, spectators, and townspeople in attendance.  Everyone is welcome - no tickets required, no reservations for a good table  :lol:  nothing like that.  We provide some food -- hamburgers, hot dogs, chicken breasts, and such.  We'll make sure there are chips and pop to drink.  Lots of folks bring stuff like potato salad or bratwurst or beans and so on and so forth.  If you want to do that -- great, and thanks!  Don't try to make enough for everyone - but a big pot of beans or a couple of dozen venison dogs or whatever is welcome.  You're probably wise to supply a spoon or ladle or such  in case we don't have the right utensils.  Probably you'll be wise to make the spoon a disposable one - it'll be that much less to try to keep track of after the party.

We'll have event-specific Salt Talks 2012 t-shirts for sale, by the way.  No, I don't have the final art to show you - but Ray will have it done in a couple of days and I'll show you what you'll be wearing.  We'll also have a cash drawing and a bunch of raffle giveaways - stuff that's donated by other racers and by crews and by the groups and organisations and maybe something from people in Wendover.  Stuff like historical books, team t-shirts, bits and pieces of race paraphenalia (how do you spell that word? :|) and anything you'd like to offer up to the world.  Pork Pie has often supplied a couple or three really nice big prints of racing vehicles -- eminently suitable for framing, and since he's there -- he'll autograph the picture for the winners.

The picnic is free -- and yes, it's the big fund raiser to keep landracing.com up and running for the year.  We'll have a few cans out on the tables for donations, and the raffles and such (you buy tickets from Freud and whomever else is selling 'em) and then around 8PM I get to stand up on the ramp of our trailer and start shouting out ticket numbers as they're drawn - the drawn number being the winner of that particular prize.

Salt Talks is a great place to get together with everyone - when there's no thrashing going on for a  few hours, it being after hours Sunday, that is.  We hope to see you there.  If you'd like to donate something I'd be happy to have yo send me an email or a PM letting me know what you've got in mind, but if you forget or don't find the time and just remember about it when you're already out there -- come find us at our pit and drop the stuff at the trailer.  Put your name on the stuff or on the bag that holds it.  We like to acknowledge the folks that support the site by donating to Salt Talks.

*I'll explain the asterisk briefly:  Last year Salt Talks got rained out at SpeedWeek so we held a gathering at World of Speed instead.  It worked out so well that we're considering putting on the spread at both SpeedWeek and WoS this year.  What do you think -- should we do it?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

gkabbt

Re: Salt Talks 2012
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 09:48:13 PM »
Please do have a Salt Talks at WoS.
I attended my 1st Speedweek in 2009 and really enjoyed both the experience of Speedweek and Salt Talks..... Really cool putting names with faces.
I will not be making Speedweek this year and instead will be going to WoS to experience that so a Salt Talks there would really be cool.

Let me know where to send a donation!!!

Gregg

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 05:58:18 AM »
Jon,

I will be there again, but instead of the three poster....from the pic  I sent you earlier...it will be only ONE donation.

When I went through all my photo material I changed my mind and I had the idea to do something new....hope I will get it through the door from
the plane...I can't get them in my suitcase.....also...there is no framing necessary this time....only a nail in the wall.....

But what the heck we do now with WoS.....another idea for WoS, too....and this so short before SW....how we can manage this.....may be I can manage something with a little help from Ray the Rat....we will find a solution.....but I understand you right, that also at WoS you like to run a raffle/donation......
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Tman

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 12:23:22 AM »
Once again, will offer up my BBQ flipping services if the ladies want help!? The option is getting Dr Goggles giggley on IPA. I vote for the latter. I will do my anti rain dance.

Offline Dakin Engineering

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 05:19:55 PM »
Salt Talks @ WoS was a real highlight for me and Team Graybeards.
Please, another?

See ya in September!
Sam
Turbo Sportsters since '97

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2012, 12:39:06 PM »
Yeah, yeah -- we hear you.  Unless something goes terribly wrong we'll have a Salt Talks land speed racer gathering at both World of Speed and SpeedWeek in 2012 - - on purpose, not just because of bad weather.

But - remember that one of the attractions at Salt Talks is the raffle - the chance to win something that's been donated by your fellow racers, by the companies that support our kind of insanity, and by people that are just interested in being nice.  If you've got thoughts of donating -- please drop a line to me so Nancy and I will have an idea of what to expect at the gathering.  You're welcome to simply deliver the stuff to us at our pit at WoS/SW - no need to ship them to Michigan so we can pack 'em into the trailer and truck 'em back out to the salt.

Speaking of Salt Talks - please think about ordering some Salt Talks badges.  I've got orders for a half-dozen or so already, and will be happy to make up what you want and deliver 'em to you on the salt.  See the Salt Talks name tags note on the home page of this site for details.  Thanks.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 09:13:10 PM »
Slowly - ever so slowly -- we're getting a few things for the Salt Talks raffle.  Let this be the clarion call for you or your team to decide to help out landracing.com - by donating something.  T-shirts are always dandy, but something like a race vehicle part that you don't want any more and doesn't have a huge value to be sold -- that'd be fine.  If it's not in good condition - it'd better have a good story, though. :-D  I got a few CDroms of photos from Paul Penny of the DLRA - photos from Lake Gairdner.  Hey, there's an idea -- if some (or all?) of the teams coming from overseas to SpeedWeek would bring at least one item for the giveaway - we'd have not only a fine assortment, but maybe some items that aren't in the usual lexicon of stuff donated by the home-grown American-staffed teams.  A flower from Scotland, a bike from Denmark, anything of interest from Australia (well, we've already got the CDroms - maybe something else?), some foamy beer from Britain - you get the idea.  Yankee stuff is very welcome, too.

Please tell me (PM or right here on the Forum) what you're going to donate to the website/raffle - - but don't bother to mail it to the house, but rather just take it with you and drop by our pit (or when Nancy's in Impound :roll: :roll: you'll find us there) and hand it (and that good story) over.  Make sure you've put a note or sticker or card on it so I can give you some thanks when offering to the crowd.  Thanks, all.  See you on the Salt.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 09:57:53 AM »
Maybe this will work:  I'll post some photos of Nancy wearing nothing but a Salt Talks 2012 t-shirt.  Maybe that will get some donations for the raffle that's coming up two weeks from this evening.  We still would like to garner a bunch more things, so if you've got something worthy of being given out to folks that buy tickets to help support this site -- get in touch with me pronto, okay?  Thanks.

Now -- Nancy and the new shirt.  I shot these photos last night in the late afternoon sun on our front deck.

This year we put the art on the front and the website logo on the back, understand?  And the vehicles are thanks to the kind contributions of Stainless, Lars, Fred Vance, and 38Flattie.  Thanks to them - and to those of you that will want to buy some shirts from us at SpeedWeek.  We made these in our shop, so if we run out and you really do want additional (once we're out of your chosen size) we can make them pretty easily.  $20 each - your donations will be appreciated all year long.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 10:52:41 AM »
  Jon,
   Donation sent.
  Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 04:45:13 PM »
Doug:

Donation received.  Thank you very much.  Anybody else?

Slim o/k/a Jon
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 02:30:54 PM »
Since Pork Pie can't make more than one photo donation, I'll donate a couple of 11x14 photos.  They'll be unframed, but they'll be good.

Love the way Nancy looks in that shirt!   :-D

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 03:26:09 PM »
Ray,

it is the sheer size which reduce the August donation to ONE. and it is not a photo.....

For September I will go back to the tradition....we have to manage this when I'm on your place in SLC.......

Pork Pie

Since Pork Pie can't make more than one photo donation, I'll donate a couple of 11x14 photos.  They'll be unframed, but they'll be good.

Love the way Nancy looks in that shirt!   :-D

Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 06:11:50 PM »
Not a problem.  We can work it out.

Offline Bob Ellis

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 10:32:43 PM »
Hey SSS , i'll throw these in for the raffle , DLRA Speedweek shirts x2 (2003 &2006-both brand new unused,(taken from packaging for the pic)Size,Large),and one of my team caps,and stubbie cooler(or as you guys call it ,a can holder),and will probably have some Decals lying around that i can bring over as well.

Hope that helps , see ya on the salt!!
Wanna go fast??  Come to Lake Gairdner! (It's Down Under!!)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2012, 04:29:29 PM »
Seldom Seen Racing... I am bringing a nose cone from an ADM 20 Missile... It might make a nice lakester or roadster nose
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O