Author Topic: 53 Studebaker Back Glass  (Read 7911 times)

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
53 Studebaker Back Glass
« on: July 04, 2012, 10:40:49 AM »
My back glass has etched markings that say "Solid Safety Plate"  these are in the lower edge center line of back glass (not on edge like on newer glass).

This does not appear to be "Laminated" nor does it seem to be "Tempered"

My question is...  will this pass Tech (with the proper retaining straps and tabs) ?

OR  must I add some safety film?

OR must I remove and try to make a lexan or aluminum replacement ?

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Steve Walters

Re: 53 Studebaker Back Glass
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 11:39:57 AM »
Charles;

Windows and safety film for SCTA is a thing of the past for 200 and above rule 3.U.  There has been threads on here about the Studs having laminated back windows.  I know my old 58 packard was not, the rear window blew out of it one hot sunny day.  Glass was scattered for half a block.

Got the rear window out of my Torino Cobra last Sunday, I don't know where to start on the lexan replacement, the curve on window is so complex, start from center of the sides and go up and down, or start on the center of the top and bottom and go to the outside?  It didn't seem so complicated till I got the window out and started to trace its pattern on the lexan.

Steve

I've been from Bone to Blackfoot, but still just a Newbie here.

Wa's Bad Banana
B/CGALT

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 12:22:51 PM »
  Steve, I am not questioning your memory, but first of all I have removed four or five of these back windows and unless they were missing the entire rubber surround, I cannot see how that was possible unless the window was allready broken.
  The way the seal is constructed, you have to cut it out from the inside for removal, and it is a real bitch to do.
  I have never seen one with the rubber removed that wasn't laminated glass and I currently am looking at two.
  I would think that for one of them to blow out would take a lot of speed and given the size and weight of the back glass, it probably would break into a lot of pieces.
  I will say that all of my experiences have been with original oem glass and perhaps someone  did or does manufacturer non oem (non) safety glass replacements.
  Charles, google Studebaker auto glass or contact the outfit that sells it thru ebay ( Bob's Auto Glass in Oregon) and you should get your answer.                   Bob
Bob Drury

Offline RichFox

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 01:17:34 PM »
Steve, On my Vega I started in the center, top and bottom. And worked to the outside. Seemed to work fine.

Offline will6er

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 10:58:48 PM »
Charles-
When I checked the back glass on my 53 Stude it said "Herculite" (tempered)
You can go on-line and find laminated backglass. Not cheap, but available.

Will Willis

Offline Steve Walters

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 03:50:27 AM »
Bob;

It did blow out into a thousand pieces, I drove it on a cool morning, parked it in the sun. When I came out two hours later the window was scattered for half a block, looked like someone had pulled both triggers on a 12 gauge from the inside of the car.  The cabin must of sealed up real tite on the Packard.

Rich, thats the way I did my winshield, but the back glass is a lot more bendinated.

Steve
I've been from Bone to Blackfoot, but still just a Newbie here.

Wa's Bad Banana
B/CGALT

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 12:37:47 PM »
Thanks Wil,

here is the problem, mine does not say Herculite, Tempered or Laminated anywhere,,

it says  Solid Safety Plate...  I am hoping it is OK but need to "Be Certain" not just hope.

Working on a work around if I can not find the answer to " Is Solid Safety Plate" ok for 200 to 225 ?
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 01:00:01 PM »
You better contact the SCTA.
As a tech inspector it's not our job to "know" if it's ok. Rule 3.U 5th paragraph states all "non-laminated" windows shall be polycarbonate although I understand we'll also allow metal in it's place too. I would refer you to the head of tech first, as I would not pass any car with out something in their log book or some other "proof" that it is indeed safety glass.
Sorry.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 04:30:18 PM »
  One of the things that makes reading "old" glass hard is that different glass manufactures used different names for the same glass.
  I don't know if it was a patent situation, or like Isky, who would occaionally come up with a "new Cam"(aka "Super Legera" or "5 cycle", etal) which were the same "old" cams with a new sales pitch (which I congratulate him for !!!).
  When I built my Stude fifteen years ago, the record mandated roof rails, so I ran them all the way to the bottom of the rear window.
  I appologize for not being smart enough to post a picture, but if you go to YouTube, and punch in Speedweek 2011, and then scroll down to the picture of my yellow Studebaker, you can see it for a brief moment leaving the starting line and see what the Rear Window Brace looks like.                            Bob
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 06:04:34 PM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury

Offline Cajun Kid

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2012, 10:14:54 AM »
Bob,  my roof rails also go all the way down in back as well (serving as back glass retaing strips..) much better than just tabs alone.

But even so,  I think my glass material is the question no matter how it is retained/restrained.

Charles
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

Offline Avanti Kid

• 2006 Member of Bonneville 200 MPH Club
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2012, 01:44:08 AM »
Its probably not laminated glass if not stated as such and will have to be replaced with a lexan material if the record in your class is over 200 mph.  I lost my Studebaker Avanti rear window (tempered glass) at 175 mph, made a big mess on course #1, major clean up on the salt for 1 hr, had to buy a bunch of beer!!  Later I installed tinted lexan material that allowed me to bolt the window into the rear of the car, turned out great, I just made a wooden structure to match the curve of the window, then started cutting and bolting the lexan into position at the middle, then worked out to each direction by cutting bending and bolting down each side, when finished it was very strong and no way will it ever come out again, the car has been to 216 mph with no problems,  Dave
Original owner of 1963 Avanti; Age 84
2006 Bonneville 200 MPH Club Member
Canyon Country, CA
215.6 mph 289 CI Studebaker engine