Author Topic: Rookie class at El Mirage, what car to use?  (Read 4611 times)

Offline metermatch

Rookie class at El Mirage, what car to use?
« on: July 03, 2012, 11:29:18 AM »
I would like to attend the rookie class in July at El Mirage, but I will not have my race car updated and ready to go by then.  Can I use my regular street car to attend class and make my rookie passes?  Car is a Toyota econobox that will probably top out at 120 mph. 

If I could use the car, what safety equipment would I need beyond perhaps a helmet?

Thanks,

Jeff

Offline RichFox

Re: Rookie class at El Mirage, what car to use?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 01:03:00 PM »
Never heard of such a thing. You may attened the rookie meeting before the start of the meet. But all cars in competition pretty much require full safty equiptment. Roll cage, fire system and such.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 01:09:36 PM »
The rookie pass allows the staff to keep a close eye on you, your car, and your ability to operate in a safe manner.

If you haven't been to El Mirage, come out and take the rookie orientation and course walk, you will learn something. Read the El Mirage procedures. Listen to the driver's meeting. You don't need the car for that.

Your rookie pass should wait for the race car. Each speed step in the process gets you your license, and that can't be done without the race car.

If your econobox met all of the safety rules in the SCTA rule book you could run for time only, but I think that is a lot of work for not much gain.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 02:09:38 PM »
Meter, I do the rookie orientation at El Mirage and Bonneville.  You won't be able to drive your street at an SCTA event unless it fully passes tech inspection.  I've had many a folks ask to sit through the orientation before they brought their car out and that's absolutely fine however you'll have to repeat the orientation once you bring out the car to run.  The orientation material needs to be fresh in your mind and not months old so you can sit through the class in July but you'll need to do it again once your car is ready to run.  The orientation is also broken down into two parts: the first day is the class room section and the second day is actually making rookie runs.  You need to complete both halves of the orientation before you can graduate out of rookie status. 

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Nate
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Bville701

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2012, 01:24:46 AM »
Just to add to what Nathan said, it may be beneficial to you to take rookie orientation twice. It's always nice to have a refresher course, and things are always changing. Nathan does a great job to keep up with these changes.

Just my opinion, but that's what I would do.  :cheers:
Ryan LeFevers

701 C/GMR - 216.509 MPH El Mirage Record Holder

El Mirage "Dirty 2" Club Member

Offline metermatch

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 10:26:14 AM »
Thanks for the info.

I can't make it to El Mirage this Saturday, but I will come out on Sunday.

Thank You,

Jeff

Offline fastesthonda_jim

• Ready to Rock 2003
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 10:00:19 AM »
Meter,
Additionally, USFRA (http://www.saltflats.com/) will let you run the salt flats with just a helmet in September.  I believe you will will get a rookie orientation there also, and can run your street wheels.  BUT.... El Mirage is a whole different animal!  Stay with what Nathan is telling you.
Jim
2006 SCTA High Points Champeen
2006 Dirty "2" Wrench Of The Year
Bonneville "2" Club 2003
El Mirage Dirty "2"'s 2006
Bonneville Records: G/GS, F/GS (Boy)  G/FS (Girl)
El Mirage Records: F/BFS, F/FS, F/GS, I/FS, I/GS, K/BGS
FIA Records A, II, 8
Unlimited License
300mph line qualified (305.129 best mile speed)
The older half of San Diego's Fastest Couple
2016 Man of Distinction Award
DLRA 2019 Top Speed of The Meet (309.438 Mile - 323.3 GPS)