Author Topic: Simplifying/replacing EFI on 2010 Thruxton  (Read 12433 times)

Offline benn8411

• New folks
    • Facebook
Simplifying/replacing EFI on 2010 Thruxton
« on: June 30, 2012, 11:36:19 PM »
So this is my first post on Landracing.com so let me break the ice.
I have been over the past year preparing my ‘10 Thruxton to run the Maxton Mile. One big thing I want to do is replace the entire wiring harness and computer. Pretty much what I want is tunability and the ease of adding injectors, fuel pump and other go fast goodies in the future. However, this part of the build is out of my league.

I know with the current system that if you remove just one thing the bike tends to get confused and not want to start. So is there something I can add to the existing system or could I use a system from someone such as Haltech, Holley, or Megasquirt? Though it would be nice, because of ease, to add to my existing system, I’m more leaning towards wanting to replace it with an aftermarket kit.

Also from what research I can gather and have found on here as far as fuel pumps and all go alot of guys are going with the Bosch 044 pump, anybody have any expirience with running Aeromotive, holley, paxton etc? I have been planning all alone to go with Aeromotive but if there's some secret of why everyone is going with Bosch I would like to know.

Thanks for any info you guys/gals have on this.

Chris

Offline Jon

Re: Simplifying/replacing EFI on 2010 Thruxton
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 02:28:11 AM »
Hi Chris, welcome aboard.

Not going to pretend I can help you much but I'm going to ask a couple questions anyway.

Is it going to be a Lanspeed bike only or does it need to maintain other roadgoing abilities like cold start and being able to idle nice etc?

Have been able to break the ECU code to allow tuneability?

Do Dynojet make an interceptor box?

If it's a dedicated Landspeed bike and its not a common ECU for your local dyno guys to play with I would probably grab an aftermarket ECU.

As far as brands; find the guy the you recon you are going to get to tune your bike and see what he recommends, saves you paying him to learn your system.

Any pics?
jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline maj

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 04:09:44 AM »
Tuneboy or tune edit could  be used to remap the Thruxton on the std computer

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 12:41:29 AM »
Go to www.triumphtwinpower.com  What you need is there.  I use their stuff and it seems to work OK.

Offline benn8411

• New folks
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2012, 10:46:35 PM »
First I apologize for not responding to each of your posts, I didn't receive any notification but I have since fixed that.

Second, Thanks for the information.

Yes the bike is a dedicated speed trials bike, no frills no nothing just spark and go.

I did the tune edit job but I would like to yank the entire stock craziness and replace with a cleaner aftermarket setup/craziness.

As far as fuel and charge goes I'm ace! But between kids and full time college this ECU stuff is stumping me, my brain can't handle all the info I'm trying to learn! I've even pondered the idea of just forgetting the EFI and convert over to carbs but I think that's a whole other can, plus I'll lose the ability to do any forced induction in the future.

I know what I want and I know it will work (eventually) I'm just lost on the electronic side to make it all go. If I had a car I was working on I'll know exactly what I would need and how to make it work but the Thruxton is killing me! Two different worlds it seems like.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 12:22:39 AM »
Chris, tomorrow we have our Triumph club monthly breakfast and I will ask around.  Everyone I know, and myself, use race carbs.

Latus Motors in Portland, Oregon has a race bike in the Thruxton Cup series.  They, or others who race in the cup, probably know something.  The pits are accessible during the cup races at Portland International Speedway and I go in there and discuss various Triumph related issues with the other mechanics.  Perhaps there are races near you where you can do this.

Take your time and learn all about EFI so you understand the first principles, how your standard system works, and its limitations.  There are some good books on this in the automotive sections of the bookstore.  Have a full grasp of where you are and exactly what you want to do before you start buying things and taking things apart.  The Triumph stuff is generally pretty good quality. 

Offline benn8411

• New folks
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 12:43:42 AM »
thanks!

Not much down where I live but I do try and make it up to the vintage race days in Birmingham every year, I'm going back this year so I think I'll ask around while I'm there to see what those guys are doing.

I've been working on the bike already for a year so it's not hurting me to watch it sit on the lift. every chance I get I'm trolling the net looking over EFI setups (cars & bikes) and disecting what others have and why they have it and trying to see how it works.

Thanks for the assistance!

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 03:20:55 AM »
i struggled to get a grip on this white man magic stuff (EFI), that is until i purchased the book "Motorcycle Fuel Injection Handbook", by Adam Wade,, (Google it, i think i got my copy from Amazon Books),,, very easy to read and learn, very informative,, :cheers:,,
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline benn8411

• New folks
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2012, 11:27:18 AM »
Thanks for the info! I'll def check it out!

Offline maj

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2012, 07:56:37 PM »
every efi system wether it be a hack on the std ecu or a aftermarket ecu or a piggyback  has its own language , you have to learn it and that only comes with use
the tune edit you have already used is rather simple compared to a standalone  , great tool for std or modified  NA bikes, but you will need more if you plan a turbo
the triumph forums have a lot of info on the editing software and its use and on landracing both Firemanjim and i have used it frequently although not so recently for me

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2012, 08:49:38 PM »
 Hey, Benn -- just where are you?  You obviously didn't fill in the "location" blank in the registration/profile page.  Please think about doing just that -- give us city & state - that's good enough -- 'cause then we'll know where you are in relation to maybe a shop someone knows about or somebody that already can at least drink coffee with you 9whatever beverage is your choice) and do in-person bench racing.  Welcome to the Forum, of course -- no matter where you're located.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2012, 10:09:09 PM »
I would stick with the set-up you have. Tune Edit is good and simple to use,stick with it. Any questions give me a call. 707 548-7906. Done a bunch of Triumphs at this point. My 1050 Tiger rocks!
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline benn8411

• New folks
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2012, 12:03:58 AM »
Seldom Seen Slim: Hadn't realized I didn't do that, it's now all filled in. However I'm currently in Graceville Florida pursuing a degree in ministry. Graceville is an hour north of Panama City. Living in Family housing with my wife and kids and building my bike in my extra bedroom... I don't think I'll break any records but maybe I can be the fastest circuit riding methodist minister someday....

Maj / Firemanjim: I think with the way things look I will hack the stock harness up and keep the stock system and tune it with tuneedit. IF I do forced induction it will be further along in the future.

Firemanjim: I may hit you up again once I get everything together for your advice.

I appreciate the help everyone!

Chris Bennett

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2012, 12:22:48 AM »
The advice I was given follows.  I will try to remember it as best as I can.  Keep in mind that unlike Jim, I have no EFI experience.  He is your best contact.  This is what I was told.

First, you need to find a bike shop with a dyno and an operator who knows about EFI mapping.  Portland is a small city and the fellow could name at least three business that do this.  This is not an uncommon thing to do.

Second, talk to the shop about the software they are most familiar with.  Tune Edit, like Jim says, or Tune Boy, or Power Commander, or another that I cannot remember.  Use the software they have the most success with.  

Third, do your engine mods.  Bring the bike in and let them install the chip, set it up, do mapping or whatever for your mods using their computer and dyno, and let them test everything.

This is like what we do with the carb bikes.  The only difference is they swap jets for us instead of changing maps.

Offline Turbofan

• New folks
  • Martin
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2013, 12:59:47 AM »
I don't mean to bump this if it is entirely dead, but it is winter and....
So if you have a choice between two good shops and one has power commander and the other has or can at least work with Tune boy that would be my choice.  I have had both, but my real tuning knowledge is very limited and I have only made one pass so far at El Mirage, but my point is:

Tune boy offers a lot of options, and most fun for me is the ability to talk to a friend (you gotta know them and trust them!) on the internet who has the same set up as you, has just had a tune done, and can e-mail the file to you, and then you can load it to your bike.  Likewise you can store your own tunes and go back and forth from one configuration to another. 

One caveat:  When I have loaded a tune from another persons bike, I accept that it was dialed in for them, not me.  So for safety sake I add some 3-5% fuel across the map.  I would rather run pig rich than lean the motor out.
"Live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this than some people do in a lifetime"... and on a bike as slow as mine, the mile does seem to take 5 minutes!