Author Topic: What Production Class engine modifications are allowed?  (Read 12004 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: What Production Class engine modifications are allowed?
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2013, 03:01:20 PM »
Stainless, Dynoroom -

First off, Happy St. Robert's Day to Stainless!  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:

The reason I cited the Mini Cooper rather than the Spridget was because of that exact issue in GT - One I hope to have a clarification on in the near future.

I don't think my post missed the mark regarding the production coupe category - GT is a whole other worm can.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Steve Walters

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2013, 03:13:18 PM »
Jeff, I found it easier to start out with what you cannot do.  A word of caution if you are not going to run an alternator, or a magneto, and are using a capacitive discharge ignition system, better have a 16 volt battery set up.  I lost two years and 4000 bucks trying to run on two 12 volt optima's with out an alternator. 

Michael, I was just having misque on the relationship between production coupe, and sedan, and how it went to touring, you tied them together rather well.  As Howard Johnson senior would say Ruuuugerrr!. :cheers:

Steve   
I've been from Bone to Blackfoot, but still just a Newbie here.

Wa's Bad Banana
B/CGALT

Offline RichFox

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2013, 03:28:14 PM »
Basically as I understand it. If you buy a racing head for a SBC or BBC or Ford or any other nonvintage engine. It's good. If you work your butt off modifying some old OEM head your likely to be in trouble.

Offline Steve Walters

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2013, 03:39:58 PM »
Rich,
I take that was directed towards me and my problems.   :roll:

Steve
I've been from Bone to Blackfoot, but still just a Newbie here.

Wa's Bad Banana
B/CGALT

Offline CTX-SLPR

« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2013, 10:36:36 AM »
To go along with this, what about racing blocks that all the factory parts bolt onto but don't have a provision for a wet sump?

Example:
Stage II Buick V6 Off-center motor.  You can put stock heads, stock rotating assembly, stock motor mounts, stock transmission, and stock accessories onto the block.  However because they were designed for Busch Grand National, Indy Lites, and other race applications; they often have no internal oil gallery or pad for the pickup location to feed the stock oil pump in the front cover.  Is this block legal for production?
Central TEXAS Sleeper
USAF Physicist

1964 Buick Riviera T-type (4.1L Turbo6, 4L80E, L67 EFI system)

ROA# 9790

Offline dw230

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2013, 12:21:27 PM »
Mike LeFevers, Dynoroom, on this forum is my go-to engine guy. I rely on Mike for these answers. Lets see what he has to say about the Buick racing block regards Production class.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2013, 01:53:27 PM »
Rich,
I take that was directed towards me and my problems.   :roll:

Steve

I don't think so Steve. I think it was about a certain Buick straight 8......
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2013, 02:10:40 PM »
To go along with this, what about racing blocks that all the factory parts bolt onto but don't have a provision for a wet sump?

Example:
Stage II Buick V6 Off-center motor.  You can put stock heads, stock rotating assembly, stock motor mounts, stock transmission, and stock accessories onto the block.  However because they were designed for Busch Grand National, Indy Lites, and other race applications; they often have no internal oil gallery or pad for the pickup location to feed the stock oil pump in the front cover.  Is this block legal for production?

I think you are incorrectly compairing the engines. The Buick stage I & II engines are allowed in production as long as they are the "off center" design. Both of these engines will accept the standard front cover and oil pump assy if disired although the stage II also has a dry sump provision on the block.
The stage II "on center" block is NOT allowed in production. It is easy to spot this engine as it uses a highly modified stock front cover or a special casting from Buick. Buick used both types of engines in the Nascar Grand National/Busch series and the Buick Indy program along with the Indy lights over the years of production.
As you pointed out you would not be allowed the stage II heads with the extra head bolt holes.

Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline CTX-SLPR

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2013, 03:30:26 PM »
Mike,

I get the Stage II head rules for the different port order but from what you are saying, no GN1-R's which have the production port order but use the Stage 14 bolts instead of the production 8?

I guess the Stage blocks I've seen have just been modified or something to exclude the oil pickup and gallery to the front cover though I agree that the On-center is definately out for production.
Central TEXAS Sleeper
USAF Physicist

1964 Buick Riviera T-type (4.1L Turbo6, 4L80E, L67 EFI system)

ROA# 9790

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2013, 03:51:22 PM »
Correct, only 8 head bolts per side.

As to the 2nd question, later blocks. Same answer though. We don't care about the oil galleries.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline dw230

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2013, 09:53:53 AM »
Thanks Mike

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth