Author Topic: Roadsters sprung vs. rigid?  (Read 2537 times)

Offline desotoman

Roadsters sprung vs. rigid?
« on: April 07, 2006, 01:18:19 PM »
How many Roadster owners run their car with rigid suspension vs. sprung suspension.  What do you feel are the benefits of running your roadster the way you do?
Thanks,
Tom Gerardi
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline SPDRACR

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2006, 04:58:15 PM »
Tom,boy did you just open a can of worms! Our roadster is about 3200# sprung front and back,torsion bars,sprint car or dirt modified style. This question is long been discussed,It all depends on the track surface on that given day. At El Mirage I would all ways run suspension, most years at B-Ville you can probably get away without it.Think about trying  to accelerate on cobble stones or pot holes, which would you like then? Our roadster #832 has approx. 4" of total travel front and back. At El Mirage it will use about 2" in the back,and maybe up to 3" in front during a run. I'm sorry I forget the spring weights I will check over the weekend and write back. Hope this helps.
Eric Eyres
salt is OK, but the DIRT is where it's at!
Proud 2nd generation Roadster Racer
Muroc 2 club, El Mirage 2 club, Now Bonneville 2 club,       All in a Roadster

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2006, 11:08:11 PM »
IMO Sprung...Cars are too short not too. Don't need much.  True round tire help.....Except for Leggitt :)
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline DallasV

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2006, 12:07:47 PM »
Our roadster is unsprung. We built it nearly 30 years ago when the salt was usually thick and smooth. Wish we has some suspension now. When the salts rough it's hard to keep the ass end on the ground and we get some hopping and darting which makes it tough to correct for drifting. Hard to explain.  So I will just say I think sprung is a better way to go. It's hard enough to keep a short wheelbase brick going in a straight line without trying to keep your eyeballs in your head.

Dallas
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.