Author Topic: Tires????  (Read 13002 times)

Offline EVLEE

• http://www.metroevents.com/jordaneng/index.htm
Tires????
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2006, 02:32:26 PM »
For Specs  CHECK OUT   AC Propulsion.com
  AC -Gen2

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
AC Propulsion:
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2006, 11:23:54 AM »
EVLEE,
Looked through the AC Propulsion site! Sure looks like you are on the right path to have the right power to go for the Class I record. The AC Propulsion system is very neat! and I'll bet (you are probably already talking to them about this) that if you tell them that it is for a world speed record and the length of time that the system will really be working is only a few minutes they will gladly let you run the thing at 50% more power. The great thing about this type of drive is that if you can keep it cool you can really flog out some HPs!

Looking at the weight of the system you end up with about 80kgs for the drive and the motor which leaves you 420 kg for the rest of the car. What are you estimating your battery weight at? If you are really crafty you might be able to get the body, chassis, wheels/tires, transmission etc in the 250 to 300 kg  area which could leave you 170 kg for batteries. Plus with a 500 kg limit you need to have a very aero shape as you cannot add ballast to gain traction.  Actually with the AC system I'll bet you could get the Class II record.

Neat project except the $25,000 price tag on the AC Propulsion drive system is a little stout.

Keep us informed!!!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline EVLEE

Tires????
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2006, 01:27:30 PM »
ANYONE HAVE AN EXTRA $25,000. If you build it maybe it will come!!
  Well maybe a lot of people do not know this but White Lightning was running I believe 2 AC Propulsion systems when it set the EV3 RECORD!!  
 Is anyone still running any of these older Electric Streamliner??
         Lee

Offline jimmy six

Tires????
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2006, 03:32:09 PM »
How did we get to here from tires??????? JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline EVLEE

Tires????
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2006, 07:37:50 AM »
It is a natural progression  to propulsion from what meets the road!!
 I really love all the feedback I am getting by the way.
 Tires????? Will most likely be Goodyears ,I still have a few friends there from my Indycar days so maybe I can get a deal!! A friend at Compomotive  is talking to his Friend at Kodiak racing wheels and maybe he will make me a deal on a special made set!!!
                    Lee
                     :wink:
 Ps.Were back on Tires again!!
 Re; Sorry about the size of the pic but I think it is a really cool looking STREAMLINER

landracing

Tires????
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2006, 08:40:00 AM »
Quote from: Sumner
Sounds like you have some good options on the rear.  After looking at the streamliner records I've changed my opinion about the 200 being feasible.  With a good clean car you should be able to get there with 200 hp :) .

I know of a Bonneville streamliner that went over 300 mph with 175 hp...
Aero is the key..... Like we already didnt know that.... But just to show you with an example ....

Jon

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Tires????
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2006, 10:09:55 AM »
Quote from: landracing
I know of a Bonneville streamliner that went over 300 mph with 175 hp...
Aero is the key..... Like we already didnt know that.... But just to show you with an example ....

Jon

Jon was that a bike or car?  I see where Burkdoll has a 202 record in a car with a 500cc, un-blown, on gas.  I can't imagine that making even 175 HP.  In fact looking at last years rule book I only find 3 car streamliner records under 200 regardless of motor size (not including the diesels and electrics) and they are; one in K un-blown fuel and two in the Vintage 4 class, but 2 of the Vintage 4's have gone over 200.

Easy to see how streamliners are the fastest cars out there :D .  Like you said it is all about aero.

c ya, Sum

Offline EVLEE

Tires????
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2006, 10:16:53 AM »
Sorry Missed Jesse on that one.
 Does anyone know the difference between Goodyears Frontrunners and there Eagle Land Speed tires. There is a big difference in price??
 What is the tread diff. is one smooth or What??
           Lee

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Electric hill climb racer in RACECAR ENGINEERING
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2006, 11:17:19 AM »
Elvee,
The May 2006 issue of RACECAR ENGINEERING has a good article on a British hill climb car that is electric powered. Not much "break through" info but interesting information especially regarding the weight and also "super capacitors"

If you don't happen to be a reader of RACECAR ENGINEERING you can usually find it at Barnes and Noble or Borders.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline EVLEE

Tires????
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2006, 11:23:21 AM »
Thanks Just finished reading the article ,I am a subscriber  and that's  for the headsup!!
     Lee

Offline Bob Drury

Tires
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2006, 12:47:11 PM »
Evee, the tires are identical in looks and tread, however the lsr tire has six ply sidewalls, compared to two in the drag race version.  If you end up sideways at 200, you might want to spend the extra sprog...........
Bob Drury

Offline Bob Drury

Tires
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2006, 12:48:51 PM »
Evee, the tires are identical in looks and tread, however the lsr tire has six ply sidewalls, compared to two in the drag race version.  If you end up sideways at 200, you might want to spend the extra sprog...........
Bob Drury

Offline EVLEE

Tires????
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2006, 07:12:29 PM »
I will be going with the 26" or 28" Goodyears depending on how I want my final gearing and frontal area to be. With the DC. motor I need to stay down around 4000 to 5000 rpm to be in the peak torque and hp. range.I found a great interview of Eric Luebben that drove Lightning Rod. Lightning Rod also had DC. motors and he talked alot about how there geared and used the DC. motors. It has been very helpful.
                                 Lee