Author Topic: Wheel spin at El Mirage  (Read 2780 times)

Offline jdincau

Wheel spin at El Mirage
« on: June 26, 2012, 08:54:26 PM »
I am having a discussion with my brother, what is an acceptble rate of wheel spin in the dirt?
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Re: Wheel spin at El Mirage
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 09:01:51 PM »
Good question. I'm thinking none!

Okay, none with some of the lower powered classes & a bit with some of the higher powered classes & a lot with them really fast guys.   :-D

Really though I'm still gathering data but we don't seem to have much wheel spin. Maybe 100/200 rpm? We've been running in the low 2 teens
I know Freddy, and Davidson etc. play catch up all the way down & a lot of the bike blow the tires off but not us.

Interested in others input.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline jdincau

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 09:35:18 PM »
Yes Mike it is all subjective isn't it. I mean Freddie would probably say as long as it goes straight and dosent tear the tires off all that matters is if it's fast enough. Last meet we were at about 300 RPM on a 150 MPH street roadster.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline nebulous

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 02:31:38 PM »
It depends on the design  of the car
Jack Costella   
"Records are set by effort, not by the stroke of a pen!"

PatMc

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 04:10:33 PM »
Just my opinion...

With wide treaded tires, you are unlikely to spin the tires at over 150mph even if the track is tore up.  With skinny tires?  When the track is bad, we spun from about .5 miles to the end.  Makes for more interesting driving.  It creates a problem for big turbo engine, as wheelspin will dump your boost, then you chop the throttle, and go left the turbo map, downshift, boost comes up, shift, spin, rinse and repeat.  With wide treaded tires, it's like driving down the freeway.  Personally I'd avoid smooth tires if you can get away with it, but good luck with that.

When the tires are spinning, drive it like a boat, or like a dirtbike in deep sand.  Gentle inputs, let it wander if it wants.  Always walk the course if you can, and look at the condition of the dirt L, Center, R.  Late in the day, you'll probably want to stay left or right.