Author Topic: Corporate Sponsor Behaviour  (Read 10287 times)

Robin UK

Corporate Sponsor Behaviour
« on: June 26, 2012, 02:32:59 AM »
Now this is very naughty. Orange and Intel have teamed up to launch a new smart phone - the theme of which is blistering speed. Naturally the outright lsr is a good choice for an ad campaign. Trouble is they've chosen to use ThrustSSC in BloodhoundSSC colours and all without permission or payment. True Intel provided early support for Bloodhound but they have recently backed out. Orange have never provided any support and turned down ThrustSSC. But hey - no matter, even though Intel could have used North American Eagle through that connection and even though Orange have contributed absolutely nothing, they went ahead and produced this, which is being shown on prime time TV in Europe.

http://youtu.be/miy-Cel7eTU

You can read Richard's full response to this on the Bloodhound  website but I guess the message that they send to other corporates is that they don't need to "waste" money on sponsorship. Wait until a project is successfull and then just use it without payment or permission.

Robin

Offline JonAmo

Re: Corporate Sponsor Behaviour
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 03:22:09 AM »
Interesting video...

What is more interesting people ask why do all these American companies sponsor a British Land speed record attempt? The simple answer is these guys have it together. Richard has always been known for a great promoter and build value in anything he has done. I encourage viewers to spend some time on their website. What this team is doing globally for the educational purposes and his vision to promote education and engineering is just spectacular. This is how you promote, build relationships, solicite information, bring a world together for a purpose greater then just setting a record. The sharing of information is outright genius. Not only does going through the website bring knowledge but it brings a huge level of anticipation about what can be, and what is being done. So again building Value for investment dollars. Its not just about putting a name on a car. The more brand value in all the social media, website, print, magazines, TV programes, newsletters, shows, apprearances and online video. Bloodhound has it all and putting it all to good use.

http://www.bloodhoundssc.com/

Jon

Robin UK

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 05:31:17 AM »
Jon, I agree with all you say. Except that neither Orange nor Intel provided a penny of project funding to ThrustSSC and yet they feel able to use a protected image in their campaign without even asking. To compound their cheek, they paint it in Bloodhound colours - again, without paying a penny or asking permission. True Intel provided early support for Bloodhound but are now backing out and did not agree with Richard that ThrustSSC or BloodhoundSSC could be used in their joint campaign. Knowing Richard as I do, he always has very clear contracts covering what can and can't be done.

As to their reasons in pirating these images rather than using Ed's project (which carries Intel logos) then I agree with you again. Global corporates (no matter where where they are located) are just that, global. So they will use whatever plays to their global market and already has the highest level of public awareness. Right now for the outright lsr it's Richard Noble and his projects. Country of origin has very little influence imo. Can't fault their logic or the success of Richard's approach which is indeed an example for others. But the bottom line is - if they get away with this without paying, then that's a massive kick in the teeth for paying sponsors - not to mention Ed's project.

Robin
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 07:19:27 AM by Robin UK »

Offline Tman

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 12:09:32 PM »
Looks to me like they needed a "fast looking on TV" jet type car and they used the easiest one they could get thier hands on. Most folks have no clue what car that may be only that to them it is a "rocket" car. I would say the ad firm that shot the clip just went with the path of least resistance.

Offline F104A

• http://www.landspeed.com
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 03:49:04 PM »
  If anyone out there would take the time to look, the NAE has been doing the education thing for years. We have a school page and have done many presentations to schools ranging from grade schools, mid and high schools and colleges. We've done presentations in Europe, Canada and all over the US. We've been in hundreds of publications and secured technical and services sponsorships from nearly a hundred companies. We've been the subject of several documentaries for TV including the one hour show on Megabuilders. With all that, we cannot get the attention of companies nor the support of our own government agencies ie: BLM, USAF, US Army or Navy. Much like the complaint that Orange and Intel did ads' featuring the Thrust SSC without remuneration is similar to some companies that did the same to us. We've been in TV advertisments by Dos Eques and a few others without them asking or paying. If you post anything on Youtube, it becomes fair game and they know it.
  We're so damned close to going for the records for fastest female and the absolute speed record that we can taste it but we still need help. When we conducted a donation drive we got $1700 total over three months. When some kids made fun of a lady on a bus, she came away with over a half million dollars. She did donate a lot of it to charity and that is a good thing. I guess the writer in the LA Times that wrote about setting a land speed record was correct, no one gives a damn! It's a shame that many don't see the patriotic angle to this nor the technilogical challenges that force us into inventing some unique things that can be utilized in some form or another. With or without advertisers that get the footage free, we're still going after that record.  And that's my two bits!
Ed

velocity

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 10:42:57 AM »
Hey Robin,

I posted the same notice without reading your post first! Sorry . . .

This reminds me of the dirty rotten trick Dodge RAM played on Al Teague using his record-breaking footage of the Spirit of 76 streamliner to sell their stinking pick-ups without paying him one red cent, let alone ask him for permission.

Anyone in the sport knows that Al got NOTHING from Dodge or Chrysler when he was struggling to set what became his 409MPH world record. Those engines were all Al and his friends, all the time. So for a major automaker to hijack his good name and attach themselves parasitically to his world record was -- to me -- an outrage of the first order.

Infuriated, I contacted Chrysler, Dodge, the TV production group, the ad agency and the associated people who all pointed fingers in another direction claiming on one side of their marketing face that they were blameless and horrified and that Mr. Teague had been taken advantage of while smiling broadly on the other half of their greedy faces counting profits from production fees and truck sales.

Dodge sent Al a letter with a jacket and two NASCAR models -- that made everything OK in their eyes.

LandSpeed Louise

Offline F104A

• http://www.landspeed.com
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 11:58:29 AM »
Now we know who the one percenters are and how they got that way.
Ed

Offline bucketlist

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 09:39:45 PM »
Hey Robin,

...This reminds me of the dirty rotten trick Dodge RAM played on Al Teague using his record-breaking footage of the Spirit of 76 streamliner to sell their stinking pick-ups without paying him one red cent, let alone ask him for permission...

Is this the ad with the blatant lie about the "legendary hemi"? In point of fact, it only exists now in legends. Mopar hasn't built a hemi in decades but they own the name and use it with a macho voice to sell engines like everybody else's with a nifty chrome hemi badge so you can embarrass yourself in public with your ignorance.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2012, 10:53:24 PM »

Mopar hasn't built a hemi in decades but they own the name and use it with a macho voice to sell engines like everybody else's with a nifty chrome hemi badge so you can embarrass yourself in public with your ignorance.

I understand what you mean, but not completely true. You might want to check out the Mopar Performance Catalog. They sell everything for a 426 Hemi that you could ever want. Even complete motors.

http://www.mopar.com/assets/pdf/performance/catalog/Hemi_Gen_II.pdf

Tom G.

I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline peterdallan

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 03:03:25 PM »
This in London today by bus stop

Offline Stuart Radnofsky

• New folks
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2012, 01:37:03 PM »
Extraordinarily presumptuous, really. Great opportunity to 're-open' conversations, however... there really is nothing like a high court action to focus the brain.

Good luck.

Offline racefanwfo

• jenks worlds fastest pitbull
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 05:56:02 PM »
I have heard that if you take an image and change it by 20 or 30 percent then it is ok to use it any way that you want. Now knowing what the real thrust ssc looks like it seems thats what orange and intel did. The only people that really know that the car in the ad looks like thrust ssc are those that are fans or racers the regular people that see the ad do not have a clue as to what the car really is. I do not feel that orange and intel where right in what they did but i think in the long run that richard noble will not be able to do anything about it because of the way the image of the car was changed.
The speed that you wish to achieve is only limited by the depth of your wallet.

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2012, 09:22:47 PM »
I have heard that if you take an image and change it by 20 or 30 percent then it is ok to use it any way that you want.

That is not correct, the image is still copyrighted regardless of size.
Even if it is extensively modified it would be consider a "derivative work" of the original.

You may be recalling the photographic reproduction of U.S. currency regulations which are very similar to your comments.

http://www.secretservice.gov/money_illustrations.shtml

Larry