Author Topic: Harley Experts - I Need Your Help!!  (Read 17501 times)

Jessechop

Re: Harley Experts - I Need Your Help!!
« Reply #45 on: September 13, 2013, 11:01:11 AM »
Just in 4th? Or all gears? All of the evo sporties I have owned have had whine in 4th gear, but they changed the gears for 06 up, I don't know if it carried over to the XB or not. With that said I have a 04 XB and it is surely a quieter trans than the Sportsters

Primary chain tension ok? My father had a big twin evo, Fat girl or some silly bike like that and it had terrible noise coming from the primary, turns out the primary chain and sprockets were toast.

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2013, 12:25:03 PM »
Yeah, all gears more or less.  It does it in fifth too.  Basically 40-60mph it's at it's loudest.  I don't really know that it goes away above 60 but its less noticeable but only probably because of all the other noise.  I knew something was bad when I would split lanes and go in between two cars and it sounded like my bike had a quick change rear end.  You know that really whiny straight cut gear sound? Yeah, that's what it sounds like. 

I'm pretty sure it's the final drive. The trans itself shifts fine and feels okay.  It's the front drive pulley on the output shaft.  It's almost like the drive belt is too tight but buells have fixed tension (as you obviously know).

I'm going to call Bennett's and see what a trans r&r costs. Ugh.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Jessechop

« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2013, 12:47:08 PM »
Output shaft bearing would be my guess then. I had a Ironhead (sorry knee) years ago that lost the output bearing, it was a very similar noise as to what you are describing.

One other thing I have seen was debris in the pulleys. It was casuing a real loud noise, almost chattering like.