Author Topic: Harley Experts - I Need Your Help!!  (Read 17610 times)

Offline NathanStewart

Re: Harley Experts - I Need Your Help!!
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2012, 01:46:20 AM »
There's one on local Craigs with 13k miles for $4795.  <shrug> I dunno  :oops:

But then, they have an '04 xb12s Lightning for $5495 - 7,600 miles.

Fly up Friday evening and spend the weekend "flying" back home.

Mike

Good lookin' out there Mike.  I've been looking all over So-Cal and would consider buying something out of state but Oregon is pretty far away.  I'd really like to find any XBS model with less than 10k miles for around $5k.  It might mean having a bike shipped to me.  FWIW, I bought my bike from the original owner and it only had 2k miles on and I paid $5300 for it four years ago.

Do you have the ability to cut your oil filter apart and see what you have in there?
You can do an awful lot of the rebuild "in frame".... as long as the crank bearings are okay anyway....

And you have the racecar to get ready for Bonneville in the rest of your spare time too huh....

you'd be looking at a minimum of $2000 for a shop to do it....

Yeah, I could cut the filter apart and getting the motor out of the frame isn't too big a deal.  You actually have to "rotate" it to get the exhaust off and the exhaust has to come off to get the side cover off.  Anyways, once you've done the engine rotation you're only two or three short steps from having the whole motor out. 

So not only am I working on the race car (which is 3 hours away from where I live) but I'm also trying to work on my own hot rod as well and now I've got to figure this mess out.  And of course I still have my 120 mile commute everyday.  I think I'd trade money for time at this point.

My engine looks like the one on top - starter behind the motor over the trans, different side cover, different intake ports, etc.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2012, 04:24:08 PM »
Well it's time to move on.  I'm flying to Vegas on Friday night and riding home my new bike on Saturday morning. 

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2012, 07:15:25 PM »
Does that make the broken one a lsr project???  :-D :-D :evil:

That's ONLY one more project.  :roll: :roll: :roll:

Pete
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 07:16:56 PM by Peter Jack »

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2012, 07:07:17 PM »
Now I've got a new problem...   :-D

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2012, 07:12:19 PM »
Bueller?  Bueller?  Bueller?

I see no problem.
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline desotoman

« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2012, 07:27:16 PM »

Now I've got a new problem...   :-D

Only if your Wife complains.  :-D

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2012, 07:30:37 PM »
I can see the problem.  Garage is too small for another Lightning.

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2012, 07:40:24 PM »
LOL you guys are funny.  The original bike is still dead (bad motor) but I found both the red and black bikes out in Vegas at the same time.  I never heard from the seller of the black bike (my first choice) so I bought the red bike (my second choice).  I flew out one day and then rode the red bike home and after getting home and checking my email I finally heard from the seller of the black bike and of course they still had it and it was still for sale.  :roll:  Double checked bank account and decided to buy the black bike which is one year newer than the red bike plus it only had 2200 miles on it.  Stayed the night in Vegas on our way back from Speed Week and then rode the black bike home the next morning.  I'd keep the red one but the sedan sure could use some funds so it's for sale.  The end.

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2012, 07:56:06 PM »
Yup, you need a bigger garage!!!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline Tman

« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2012, 06:50:59 PM »
You are a sick man Nathan! :-o :-D

Offline fastman614

« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2012, 05:12:32 AM »
I thought you said you had a problem..... that really does not sound like one ,,,, just keep advertising....
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2013, 03:00:25 AM »
I wish this was a good news bump but it isn't...

I think the tranny on my new bike is going out.  :cry:  :roll:

This past week there has been a whine coming from the motor/trans and its especially loud at around 60mph.  If I get up to speed and clutch in and coast I can hear it whining but its hard to hear exactly what it is when you're going 80mph and there's a ton of wind noise.  Got home today and put bike on rear stand. I immediately noticed that rear wheel has a lot of resistance and rolls about one turn free spinning when spun by hand and then stops.  That's not good.

Fire up bike on stand, put into 4th gear and spin it up to 60mph then clutch in and shut off engine and it sounds terrible.  I'm guessing a bearing on the main shaft is going bad.  This is my 2009 bike that I bought with 2000 miles on it LAST YEAR and 10k miles later the trans is going out. This is literally the newest vehicle i own.  I absolutely cannot believe this.  The motor has to come out and the case has to be split to rebuild the trans. I love these bikes but they're pieces of shit!  I have TWO dead buells in my garage now. Ugh.... so aggravating.

Offline Hellcat Customs

Re:
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2013, 03:21:54 AM »
The Xb is close to a Sportster but not really. Common issue with the Xb was the crank nut wasn't torque enough. Over time it backs off and the rotor and sprocket start moving around... Primary adjustments are almost impossible because the front sprocket is changing angles due to the slop.

Another common issue deep inside is shift drum and fork issues... Worn Parts don't positively engage gears or allow the fork to chatter once it's in a gear...

Jessechop

« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2013, 06:20:50 AM »
Stupid question, does it have oil in the trans? Years ago a un-named person (me) didnt fill the primary/trans on a 92 Sportster and it did the same thing....I felt stupid when I tore it all apart, trans comming out and my dad asks, shouldnt of oil come out of there........why yes dad, oil should of come out of there.

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2013, 10:05:01 AM »
Good point JC.  I left that part of the story out. That was actually the very first thing I checked and was very upset to find out that there actually was oil in the trans because now I have no explainable reason why this happened.  The entire way home I was thinking to myself there's no f'ing way that I forgot to put oil in the trans and as soon as I took the clutch cover off some oil started dripping down the side of the cover and I was like ok, at least I didn't kill it but wtf did?  I looked in there with a flashlight and I can see the primary submerged in actually very clean looking oil.