Author Topic: Radius rod lanyards  (Read 5042 times)

Offline JoeBlystfk

• Bonneville 2012 City of Burbank Streamliner 60 years
Radius rod lanyards
« on: June 18, 2012, 07:55:52 PM »
Any idea why you would be required to have a lanyard on the radius rods in a car with everything enclosed inside the body  ?

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
Re: Radius rod lanyards
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 08:05:16 PM »
To keep them from going through the body.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline JoeBlystfk

• Bonneville 2012 City of Burbank Streamliner 60 years
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 08:30:56 PM »
Not trying be a smart a .., but they would do that how ? If for some reason one broke wouldn't it simply fall down inside the car ? Ours are one inch tube with a heim on each end. I can't imagine it coming out through the body if the heim or tube broke.

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 09:01:06 PM »
Sorry, I was a bit quick, but all the same, if the rod breaks on the leading side the SCTA worries that it can pole vault or damage the surface. I understand your thoughts but that's the reason.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 09:15:40 PM »
Joe, send a couple of pictures to the rules committee at SCTA so they can offer a way to contain the radius rods if one breaks. Could be a cable loop or a retention device like we use for drive shafts.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 11:53:41 PM »
Would you rather get into a discussion about it with an inspector or spend $5 and 5 minutes putting some braided cable around the links and then having the inspector check the box without having to say a thing about it?
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 09:43:32 AM »
    Are you guys reading something printed in the 2012 rule book that I can't see. What page or rule # is it? I only see reference to the large washers on the heim joints.
   Doug  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 10:44:31 AM »
I agree with Nathan---most of the time it is not worth the effort to get a written variance into your log book---but if you must get something in WRITING to put in your log book  8-)
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 11:22:58 AM »
    Are you guys reading something printed in the 2012 rule book that I can't see. What page or rule # is it? I only see reference to the large washers on the heim joints.
Doug, look at 3.S. Wayno

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 12:18:29 PM »
  Wayno, I guess I was reading it as the radius rods on the front axle, not the rear. I guess that's why I didn't see any rule or reference. I'll go back to sleep now.
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline fastman614

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 12:36:09 PM »
Not trying be a smart a .., but they would do that how ? If for some reason one broke wouldn't it simply fall down inside the car ? Ours are one inch tube with a heim on each end. I can't imagine it coming out through the body if the heim or tube broke.

This actually is a valid question ..... the reason for this was originally intended to stop the split wishbone (or any ladder bar type) radius rod from angling downwards (under the power of the rear axle winding downwards) and pole vaulting the car - & digging up the salt in the process. While I agree that on a four link type suspension, the likelihood of a link bar ripping through the body may be a "longshot" possibility, the rules are there as written because, in the absence of a rule, most competitors would NOT put a method of limiting the travel of a broken link bar on to their cars.... it has, apparently, over the years, been demonstrated that  body metal, secondary flooring, step-pans etc simply are not, at times enough to hold broken link bars back. Now, if the body was 1/4" thick steel in that area and rigidly mounted so as to, in and of itself, comply with the rules as written, you could make a valid case for the body being the retaining device. Do document thicknesses with pictures etc though..... 
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 02:50:48 PM »
Now, if the body was 1/4" thick steel in that area and rigidly mounted so as to, in and of itself, comply with the rules as written, you could make a valid case for the body being the retaining device. Do document thicknesses with pictures etc though..... 

^^^ EXACTLY what I was going to say.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member