Author Topic: Rental Car Questions  (Read 15615 times)

Svenn57

Rental Car Questions
« on: June 18, 2012, 07:36:17 PM »
Dear all,

I’ve been trying to make Speedweek for the past 3 years. I have a room at the Days Inn August 11-17 2012 and I'm booked to fly into SLC on Friday August 10th and fly back home on August 17th.

Now the hard part…..

I'm planning on getting a rental car in SLC to drive to Wendover.

I have read some rental car horror stories here online but that seems like my only way to get from Wendover to the pits / starting line and back each day ????

1)   Any suggestions on who to rent from?

2)   How far are the pits / starting line from the closest “rental car approved” parking area?

3)   If I buy a cheapo bicycle in SLC would there be any place I could lock it up so I don’t have to haul it back and forth each day? I’m also thinking about buying a kids wagon that I can tow behind the bike to haul a lawn chair, tarp, cooler.

Any other options?

Any suggestions would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

THANKS!
Svenn57@yahoo.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Rental Car Questions
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 08:25:35 PM »
Svenn, the bad news is that the horror stories (at least those on this website) are pretty much true and correct.  Many folks here can respond to specific questions -- but believe us, you'll have some interesting times with a rental car at the salt.  It's not impossible -- but you'll need to be careful in a couple of different ways.

First question:  No, I don't know if there's a preferred rental company.  The one that used to be great - "Rent-a-Wreck" - is no more.  Others will state that you're not allowed to go off road, not allowed to take the car on the salt, etc, etc.  Some of the issues can be worked around -- like stating that you're renting the car to use on vacation to southern Utah or western Colorado - anyplace BUT the salt flats.  Act like a regular tourist (?) and don't be wearing race shirts and hat and so on when you're at the rental desk.  Another ploy might include renting the car at the airport instead of at an office in the city, since at the airport they might (note MIGHT) be a little less picky about the questions they need to ask.  You might be able to slide under their radar, so to speak.

Second:  The closest rental parking area would be Land's End -- that's where the pavement ends.  From there to the pits is often 5 miles, to the start line about 3 miles.  The pits themselves are about a mile and a quarter long by a few hundred yards/meters wide.  Bicycling from Land's End is possible -- but a good long ride, and likely you'll get tired of it in a day or two.

You're likely to be able to leave your bike with Lynda at Land's End.  Check with her (she's a member on this Forum) before taking it for granted.  But -- if you're satisfied with the informality of another idea, think about arranging with most any race team to leave your bike and other kit at someone's pit.  Security on the salt (after hours) is very good -- you shouldn't need to worry about locking things, although it's never a bad idea.  Leave your stuff with a race team and hitchhike from Land's End to the pits and back.  Once you're in the pits you can bike around and even ride the two miles down to the start line - or you can often hitch a ride with a crew or spectator.  I'm not experienced in this, but if renting a kid's wagon is an option -- I'd think that one with somewhat larger wheels than a standard issue wagon would be a bit easier to use - especially through the inevitable soft or damp salt.  Lawn chair, cooler, shade!! -- all are important, the shade more than others.  If you'll use the tarp for shade -- you'll need to rig some supports to hold it in place over your head.  Just get an inexpensive "E Z Up" and use it, making sure to take it down each evening.  It WILL blow away during the night and maybe during a windy day - unless you've taken it down before leaving the thing.

That's enough for now, but feel free to ask us more questions.

Jon a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 09:24:27 PM »
If you take a little care to keep salt out of the car, cover the carpets with garbage bags, clean it well, or take it to the truck wash in SLC before returning it you should be good.  Search rental cars and see how the multitudes handle the issues. 
If you opt for the bike, do as Slim says and leave it in the pits, you can leave it in our pits, we are rarely there, hope to park in Dans pit at night.... but don't worry, we leave our tool box open and never lock anything up, haven't lost  anything ever....  Misplaced our pit scooter several times, but we always found it where we left it.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Tman

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 09:36:20 PM »
Room to leave a bike in our pits. Just bring aq cold adult beverage. #416 Ford Unibody pickup

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 08:23:02 AM »
A quick comment about leaving your stuff in someone's pit - and having it borrowed-but-returned:  Our pit bike has been borrowed, sometimes with permission, many times when we were not in attendance to offer permission, and has always come back to us.  We are careful to label it with bike number and team name and ID stuff like that, so it'll be noticeable wherever it might roam.  Do the same with your bike and other gear.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

penny

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 09:25:40 AM »
with your rental tape down garbage bags onto the carpet and grab a big handfull of wallmart bags , these you put your feet into as added insurance .I told this to a fellow aussie who was covering the event for an australian and european magazine and he mentioned me in his articles because he didn't do this and was hit with a $250 cleaning fee ,ouch !

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 09:51:58 AM »
Hey, Svenn -

A quick note on the bicycle.  Make sure you get one with off road tires.  I made the mistake of bringing out a street/touring bicycle, and while it performed well on the well groomed surfaces at the lines and in the pits, when you get into the less traveled areas, you can lose traction on "the crunchies".  It would have been impossible to pull a wagon with my bike, but a mountain style bike would prove to be a good companion.

It's about a two mile bike ride from parking at land's end to the pits.

For what it's worth, I took the gambling bus from SLC to Wendover and had my bicycle sent UPS to a friendly business owner.  If you're feeling particularly athletic, you could rent a bicycle in SLC, and throw it in the cargo of the bus.  It'll be an 8 mile bike ride back and forth from Wendover, but a little exercise is a good thing, right?

Just up the street from the Red Lion hotel in Salt Lake City, there's a shop that rents mountain bikes - Canyon Sports.  What's cool is that the gambling bus picks up at the Red Lion parking lot.  Cab it from the airport to the Red Lion, rent the bike, get in the queue for the bus, and before you know it, you're in beautiful down-town Wendover.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Corvette Mike

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 06:14:48 PM »
Just a note on the Rental Cars.. I've heard most of them now have GPS tracking and they will slap you with the cleaning fee if you go on the Salt, no matter how clean you return it.

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 09:56:29 PM »
Just a note on the Rental Cars.. I've heard most of them now have GPS tracking and they will slap you with the cleaning fee if you go on the Salt, no matter how clean you return it.

Fly into Reno or Vegas  and rent at the airport and you wont have that problem.   Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 10:10:28 PM »
Mike, where are you coming from???
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Corvette Mike

• New folks
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 10:15:12 PM »
Glen..  We are driving up from Palm Springs.. Gonna try and stay in Ely on the way up.  Mike

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 10:34:17 PM »
Why not check out Ely for a rental. It's a big enough town now.If you have time check out the Ely Train Museum, a neat way to kill a little time. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Corvette Mike

• New folks
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 11:03:54 PM »
Oh it  was Svenn asking about rentals.. We're driving all the way in our Vette.. Usually just do a wash when we leave at the Wendover coin wash.

Offline Freud

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 11:16:40 PM »
Why don't you like your 'vette?

The salt will get you one way or another.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline edstugaanders

• New folks
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 05:15:45 PM »
Try renting of Discount 4540 South 300 West phone (801) 281-8500
 Not the best cars but leave it clean, I've never had a problem