Author Topic: Truck rollbar question, does it have to protrude into bed?  (Read 13855 times)

Offline chevydiesel

• New folks
Truck rollbar question, does it have to protrude into bed?
« on: June 18, 2012, 02:18:45 PM »
I have seen rollbars on trucks and was wondering if it's required to run tubing from the inside of the cab via the back window into the bed for supports?

95 GMC C1500 Extended Cab Short Bed 6.5L Compound Turbo Diesel - /DT /B

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Dan Stokes

Re: Truck rollbar question, does it have to protrude into bed?
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 03:02:02 PM »
Wish they had an interior shot of the Y-Block truck.  I'm pretty sure I've seen that truck at B-ville but I didn't notice how the bar was done.

Dan
Wilmington, NC - by the sea

ECTA idiot, Bonneville volunteer

Offline dw230

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 03:32:54 PM »
Since all vehicles are required to have a properly built cage how do you propose to brace it from collapsing? Did you contact the truck committee as listed in the rulebook?

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline 4-barrel Mike

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 03:59:56 PM »
Wish they had an interior shot of the Y-Block truck.  I'm pretty sure I've seen that truck at B-ville but I didn't notice how the bar was done.

Dan

Google "y-block bonneville" and "y-block el mirage" click "videos".  I'd hope there's an interior shot in those vids.

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

McRat

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 05:09:30 PM »
I have seen rollbars on trucks and was wondering if it's required to run tubing from the inside of the cab via the back window into the bed for supports?

The NHRA allows certain rollcage designs with no back bars, but I was told the SCTA does not when I asked.

Rollbars absolutely require back bars.  Rollcages?  Some do, some don't.  They aren't for driver protection, they are to brace the chassis.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 05:39:52 PM »
This video of "bail out" practice on the new truck has pretty good views of the roll cage:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5xQMh0RI3Y&feature=autoplay&list=UUzTwN0kYLfaw0Otd8byf8UA&playnext=1

youtube user "mctim64"  look thru some of his other videos.

Mike

Offline Joe Timney

• Delaware Chassis Works
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 09:13:44 PM »
The rules call out braces to be within 5 inches of the top of the roll cage structure.
Joe Timney
Retired President of ECTA
President of Delaware Chassis Works
President of FIREFOX Fire Suppression System
www.delawarechassisworks.com

Offline 4-barrel Mike

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 11:13:01 PM »

Offline LSR Mike

• First Pass-June 25, 2000; Muroc Dry Lake
    • Mike & Paula's Site
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 07:51:59 AM »
You don't have to go thru the back window... see below.

It seems everyone want to come down at an angle off the top hoop, Mine comes straight out from the top hoop thru the roof above the window, then make the turn down. In the straight section outside the Cab is where the angle tube joins the stub coming from the hoop.

Cage was done by Mike Cook's shop, Billy Hodges put it together.
Mike M.
BNI/ECTA
ECTA Record Holder/Former Bonneville Record Holder

Offline fastman614

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 12:47:10 PM »

It seems everyone want to come down at an angle off the top hoop, Mine comes straight out from the top hoop thru the roof above the window, then make the turn down. In the straight section outside the Cab is where the angle tube joins the stub coming from the hoop.

I am sure that some will argue that the 45 degree(+/-) angle at the top of the rear braces will result in a tremendous loss of structural integrity ..... which may be a valid point - until you look at the inside of the cab and see that the forward running tubes at the top of the cage have the same 54 degree angle at the top of the windshield area..... (and I can immediately see how to "overkill" the addition of extra strengthening to "cure the issue" )
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2012, 08:53:58 PM »
Like has been said NHRA will allow no rear bars in a truck IF the rest of the cage is built to 25. whatever spec I can't remember. Basically more cage then needed if you had the rear supports. However this isn't the NHRA so it's a good question. If that truck in the link ran without them, there must be a reason why that was ok. Contact the truck committee for sure and let us know what they say.
Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2012, 08:58:53 PM »

The NHRA allows certain rollcage designs with no back bars, but I was told the SCTA does not when I asked.

Rollbars absolutely require back bars.  Rollcages?  Some do, some don't.  They aren't for driver protection, they are to brace the chassis.

Not entirely true if you ask me. While they do also brace the chassis they would also help protect the driver. One could argue that any reinforcement to the cage would add protection to the driver especially a reinforcement that attaches to the top of the main hoop.
Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication

Offline Tman

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 04:22:41 PM »
Charlie has lots of cage shots (of the Yellow Brick) on his Facebook page. That truck is going back to the street, the cage went into his new ride.

Offline bucketlist

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2012, 01:20:34 AM »

... Mine comes straight out from the top hoop thru the roof above the window, then make the turn down...

That's a brace?
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.