Author Topic: We are done  (Read 7423 times)

Offline bak189

We are done
« on: June 13, 2012, 07:17:44 PM »
We are done!!!!......BAKKER MOTORSPORTS will not be racing the #1194 sidecar anymore in LSR.....We have had a good run starting in 1978 racing our sidecars on the salt.  But old age is catching up with this old man and the legs are going fast...."A man has to know his limitations" as per Clint Eastwood, we will now be working on some Vintage Roadracing sidecars to keep us from rusting away. Most every thing regarding our LSR efforts is for sale.....contact me if interested.  ( % going to Landracing.com)

Question authority.....always

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
Re: We are done
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 07:32:46 PM »
wow. What about a bit of a history of Bak and some photo's to commemorate this low-key announcement......
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline saltwheels262

• LTA 7/2013
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 08:09:08 PM »
sorry to hear that, bob.
it was good to see you and the crew
on the salt at the bub.

bill franey
bub '07 - 140.293 a/pg   120" crate street mill  
bub '10 - 158.100  sweetooth gear
lta  7/11 -163.389  7/17/11; 3 run avg.-162.450
ohio -    - 185.076 w/#684      
lta 8/14  - 169.xxx. w/sw2           
'16 -- 0 runs ; 0 events

" it's not as easy as it looks. "
                            - franey  8/2007

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 09:12:35 PM »
Bak -
the quote was, " A good man always knows his limitations " ... I have always considered you to be a good man. Sure you wont change your mind?
Joe

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 10:34:47 AM »
Gack! Nobody wants to say the "done" word.

I would assume that you will still be here to support side hacks monkeys the great sport of sidecar racing.  8-)
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 10:45:07 AM »
I don't think any driver/rider really wants to quit. I still have the desire to drive but at my age I don't have the reflexes I did a few years ago. I do miss it but staying involved in the sport in any way helps and the people are all great to see at the events.
 :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 04:24:34 PM »
I hope you still plan to attend Bubs even if you are not racing ????

Offline Larry C

• Global Moderator
  • Real sidecars have passengers
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 01:07:19 AM »
It has been my privilege to ride Bob's land speed sidecars since 1988. We set many records, some of which are still on the books, and had one hell of good time doing it. Our other team mate, and passenger, Warren Ryan has also been a huge part of the success of the team. Bob's influence on my racing career goes back to the early seventies when I was racing in Europe and we started corresponding by mail (no computers back then!) He has been my competitor, mentor, sponsor and good friend throughout my career. I look forward to playing with him and his vintage BSA road race sidecar in the next couple of years, at a nice leisurely pace. I will be attending the Bub meet this year and assisting where I can be of help, see you all there.

Offline Moxnix

• Zufrieden mit Mir.
    • Speed Bumps on the Road to Perdition
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 12:48:25 PM »
End of an era, Bob.  Decades back, I thumbed through the magazines from Europe, always admired the frames and bikes from Nikko Bakker.  Can I mod the frame of your LSR sidecar rig for an S&S XL style engine?
Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it.
http://speedbumpsontheroadtoperdition.wordpress.com/

Offline Koncretekid

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 09:05:53 AM »
I'm honored to have met you, if only for an instant at the entrance to the pits while waiting for my friends motorhome to arrive.  I'm also quite relieved to know that if your age is any indication, I have another 10 exciting years to go! And I only started 4 years ago.
Tom
We get too soon oldt, and too late schmart!
Life's uncertain - eat dessert first!

Offline bak189

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 10:14:14 AM »
Tom, I also had a short talk with you at Miller......best of luck with the BSA.....keep them old bikes going..................................................

Moxnix, the way I build the chassis for our Turbo/Busa LSR outfit......using the engine as a structual member of the frame.....I don't believe any other power unit would work in the chassis...........Yes, Nico is doing great with the new Moto 3 class ....lots of new rolling chassis to built
Question authority.....always

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 04:31:59 PM »
Tom, I also had a short talk with you at Miller......best of luck with the BSA.....keep them old bikes going..................................................

Moxnix, the way I build the chassis for our Turbo/Busa LSR outfit......using the engine as a structual member of the frame.....I don't believe any other power unit would work in the chassis...........Yes, Nico is doing great with the new Moto 3 class ....lots of new rolling chassis to built

Bob,

First let me say that I am sad to hear you stepping away from LSR, what you guys have done over the decades is very cool and with a passenger as well  :-o

Regarding your chassis and other engines fitting, I am pretty sure it could be lightly modified to take a V-twin engine and tranny however you might have to move the engine as far forward to accommodate the transmission or perhaps the chassis could be stretched to make it work.

Let me know what you want for your bike as it is and what it comes with..it would be cool to see it run over 2..  :cheers:

Also PM me your number..

John

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 01:30:06 AM »
Bob, it is sad to see you go, but I understand.  We are in two races here.  One to go fast and the other is to do as much as we can while we are able.  You and your team did a good job and will be missed.