Author Topic: SCTA Website concerning El Mirage Results???  (Read 5962 times)

Offline desotoman

SCTA Website concerning El Mirage Results???
« on: June 13, 2012, 05:38:59 PM »
Dan Warner,

Since you are a part of the WGB Race Team, and are involved with the SCTA Website, you might want to take a look at the SCTA website. Seems like there is some confusion on the Website regarding overall results, and starting positions. According to the Website at the May meet car #369 ran as

369    F         BGR        Waters - Manghelli - Romero    Super Fours    John Romero    182.732    175    232

At the June meet #369 ran as a truck,

369    F         BMMP       White Goose Bar Racing    Super Fours    Keith Pedersen    159.493    162.910    195

And #369 is listed as #13 in the Top 25 in points this year, and also has a starting position of #13 for Starting position for July.

As I recall the trucks number is 2111 and it did not run in May, and the Roadster number is 369 and it did not run in June. So the Top 25 needs to be recalculated along with the starting line positions, and the entry sheets need to be looked at to see where this mistake was made.

Why am I always the one who catches these mistakes? Doesn't really matter as they need to be corrected so people will know their stating line positions for the July meet.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline dw230

Re: SCTA Website concerning El Mirage Results???
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 06:16:12 PM »
Tom,

No mistake. A part of the race plan for 2012 for the WGB Team. Number 369 is correct for both cars. The main point is starting line position, points don't figure into the plans for this year. You will more than likely not see numbers 369 and 2111 until Bonneville this year. Following SpeedWeek both cars will be back to their normal number if the lakes figure into the plan.

The points will take care of themselves later this year. All good according to how the rules are currently written. You need to take every advantage you can in order to accomplish your goals. You didn't discover an error but, thanks for your observation. Try to get out to the lakebed sometime and observe first hand the activies.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline desotoman

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 05:55:29 PM »
Well I guess I don't understand. Did WGB change the numbers in the log book that the truck has? Since you are not running for Points, how come the website has WGB at number 13 overall in the points standing?

13    369    White Goose Bar Racing    Super Fours       232    195    427

As I recall, and correct me if I am wrong, you cannot run two different vehicles for points at El Mirage. So the above which is posted on the SCTA Website would be wrong and should be eliminated since you are in violation of the rules. I guess I don't understand why this was allowed to be posted on the website, as it is incorrect.

Besides isn't the webmaster of the SCTA site a WGB member, so they should be able to correct this error.

You don't have to be on the lakebed to see when something is not right. You should be able to go to the SCTA website and be able to get the correct information.

Tom G.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 08:05:41 PM »
Logs books are tied to a chassis number, not a vehicle number.  They are running for points for starting line position.  Everyone runs for points except TO vehicles. 

I think you're confusing points championship with starting line position Tom.  They obviously won't be able to win the championship with multiple vehicles.  You can have 6 different vehicles and run each one at each El Mirage event all under the same number.  Numbers are assigned to entrants/persons, not vehicles.

Maybe you should be on the lake bed more often to see that this kind of thing has been going on for many years.  Just because you're just now noticing this doesn't mean it's the first time it's happened. 
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 08:57:27 PM »
How does a car that is new and never run use the number from last year and get the no. 1 starting position and get a record as well on that run. That just doesn't sound right.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline dw230

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 08:59:42 PM »
 :?

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline dw230

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 09:01:25 PM »
Glen,

If you put 30+ MPH on the minimum in May it puts you as #1 to run in June.

I think,
DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline desotoman

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 12:15:09 AM »
On the SCTA website there is a heading for Top 25. Isn't that for the top 25 in the points chase? Then when you scroll down farther on the site it says Positions as of June 2012, and then says in parenthesis "Lineup for July 15th". So if the 1st Top 25 isn't for the top point earners for the season Championship, isn't this really redundant?

You can put vehicle 369 in the correct starting line position, but take them out of the Top 25, or at least put an asterisk in front of the vehicles number, and at the bottom say this vehicle number is not competing for the season championship. What is so hard about that. Have you ever thought the poor person who is number 26 might actually like to be in the Top 25, and does not care that his starting position is number 26.

I do have a problem with them listed as number 13 in the overall points standing, and as I said before this is not right.

Tom G.

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 12:23:12 AM »
So what you're saying is if I could sweet talk a really fast car to run my number I could move way up in the line up and get a ton of points?  That I really didn't deserve?
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 12:48:56 AM »
Tom, what does being in the top 25 get you besides starting line position?  The only time that list means anything is at the end of the November meet and it really only means something to one person... the person with the most points who ran the same vehicle all year long.  Other than that it's just a friggin list.  We're only two meets in on a six meet season.  I'm sure the list will change between now and the end of the year so that's 26th guy still has a fighting chance to realize the glory of being on the top 25 list.

You've already done a great job pointing out that 369 can't run for the championship so I think the problem is solved.  Case closed.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline desotoman

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 01:18:15 AM »

You failed to state that the top 25 have the right to use those numbers they have earned in the next season. Some people take and use those numbers and wear them with pride. (I am not one, as I like my number) And it is misleading to someone who is trying to find out how their friend is doing, when going on the website.

I have offered some suggestions for correcting the problem on the website, that is all I can do. It does not matter what the number of the vehicle is that is in question, that is really irrelevant.

Tom G.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2012, 10:28:34 AM »
Tom, I'm normally with you, but funky as it might be, it's the rules.
El Mirage Dry Lake
Land Speed Racing Procedures
C. High Points Champion
1. Points Accumulation for Starting Position
Any entry can accumulate points toward starting line position throughout the year by using the
same entry number regardless of the class in which the vehicle competes.
2. Points Accumulation for High Points Champion
Points accumulation during the season can only be combined toward the Season High Points
Champion if the entry competes in the same vehicle, with the same competition number, with the
same owner(s), and within the same body / frame classification for the entire season. Entry form
and VLB data reflecting ownership, vehicle number, VLB number, and vehicle body / frame
classification must be identical throughout the season. Engine class, including displacement, fuel
used, and induction changes (i.e. blown or unblown) are allowed. Vehicles that race in two or
more body / frame classifications during a season may continue to use accumulated points for
starting line position but may NOT combine the points earned in the separate body / frame
classifications toward Season High Point Champion.

You would like to think that the rules have evolved over time and massaged to be better and better. Not with the SCTA. The good old boys club wrinkles the rules any way they see fit, and the convoluted mess that is the SCTA rules is the result.

There is a REASON so many questions about rules are asked on this forum. No sane person can figure them out.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline salt

• EMD2CLM - B2CLM
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 10:45:50 AM »
Why, it's clear as mud :-D!

Willi
Who Has More Fun?

Offline dw230

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2012, 11:12:59 AM »
Thank you posting the section of the EM Procedure manual Dean. Section 2 of the procedure tells us how the points for the championship are accounted for, it states that line up position is not affected. Nathan states that the Top 25 only counts at the end of the season. Both cars that have run #369 this year have been worked on for many , many hours making major changes from last year.
As I stated in an earlier post you may not see either car until after SpeedWeek, if then.

It will shake out in Nov.

If you are still a member of one of the SCTA clubs you are a part of the "good old boys club" and have the same opportunity to change the muddied rules as anyone. You could also voluteer to help do the results and calculate the points. A person can keep the number they like for three years, then it goes out for the taking if you don't run. You can convince some to use your number in order to move up in line, do you really want to do that? I have yet to hear a suggestion as to how to retitle the lists on the website, any suggestions?

I like - "be a part of the solution, not a part of the problem."

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2012, 01:02:24 PM »
You can convince some to use your number in order to move up in line, do you really want to do that?

Sure.  If I could get the Cummins, Beck, Davidson roadster to make a couple of passes with my number I could rocket up the line up and get some GOOD dirt to run on.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 01:51:53 PM by Nortonist 592 »
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.