Author Topic: LTA decides to do records in the Mile!  (Read 8216 times)

Offline blackslax

• Loring Timing Association
LTA decides to do records in the Mile!
« on: June 12, 2012, 03:55:15 PM »
Yes that's right.  We have made the decision to do timing at 1 mile for our competitors.  We always thought that having the longest track in world would be enough to make everyone happy, but alas everyone wants more, (and by more I mean less.) There have been several requests over the past few months from people that have run other mile events who want to see what their fastest mile is or want to claim the fastest mile in the nation, so we will have a trap at the mile and the 1 1/2 mile this year.  This is how it will work:

1) Everyone will run the 1 1/2 mile.  That is what you have registered for.  THE MILE WILL BE IN ADDITION TO THE 1 1/2 MILE.
2) If you want to be timed in the mile as well, you can go to the store and buy your mile pass there, or you can do so at registration.
3) Every vehicle that runs the mile will also be timed for the 1 1/2 mile.  So, you will get a 2 slips.  That means that you can  you can fly the mile and power through for 1 1/2 or you can back out after the mile and coast the 1 1/2; the choice yours.

Now, for those that are wondering, we will not be able to give speeds for the mile if you are not running the mile.  The system only turns on the mile when we enter the vehicle number so that record continuity is maintained.

There will also be mile records maintained and 2-Club distinction.
Tim Kelly
Race Director - LTA
www.loringtiming.com
People dont see the world the way things are, They see the world the way they are.

Offline dw230

Re: LTA decides to do records in the Mile!
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 04:07:45 PM »
Graet, more fodder for those who live by their signature line.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline roadracer

• TLN Motorsports/KWS/Brock's/DCW/Vortex/WWB
    • TLN Motorsports
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 06:35:52 AM »
I like it Tim.  The 1/2 mile timing at the Texas mile was very helpful and we made some adjustments off what we were seeing that made a big change to our top end speed.  Looking forward to seeing the relationship to my 1 mile speeds and top 1.5 mile speeds.

BTW DW I do have a large sig line.  I don't live by it.  LSR started for me in 2007.  If I lived by it it would have Flat Track and Roadracing on it.  Maybe you should give them a try sometime.  Come to NC and I'll put you on a Roadracing bike at VIR or there are numerous 1/8 and 1/2 drit tracks you can get out on.  Racing in general is what I live by.  Just to be correct.
 :cheers:
2006 Kawasaki ZX-6rr (Worlds Fastest standing mile and 1.5 mile)
2008 Kawasaki ZX-10R (4 200 MPH Clubs)
2008 Kawasaki EX-250R (Multiple ECTA and LTA records)
131 Land Speed Records set since 2008
125 Land Speed Racing records (including 3 Worlds Fastest Speeds) set since 2008.

Offline entropy

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 07:50:22 AM »
Graet, more fodder for those who live by their signature line.

DW

"those who live by their signature line"

My racing effort does indeed live by the "signature line",
i.e. the line on the Mastercard slips where i put my autograph :cheers:

Seriously, i hope some of the uberfast cars & bikes come to Loring and do only 1 mile.
(the line to boo at karl forms right here :-D )

As cars surpass 250 and bike(s) break 300mph, i am increasingly concerned for my friends' lives bc of the tires and shut down length

I'd like to see the uberfast folks have a choice to do whatever they feel is safe, run 1.0 mile or run 1.5mi.

I know i am oversensitive just now bc of my own lil slow speed get off, so i will shut up now

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 08:48:24 AM »
Karl, you are dreaming... right....
"I'd like to see the uberfast folks have a choice to do whatever they feel is safe, run 1.0 mile or run 1.5mi."

If they wanted they could lift or twist a little less... but that's why they call it racing....

DW... I know that you live by your signature line.... I also try to live by your signature line... and mine

(should be able to sign in 5 lines)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline entropy

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 09:18:33 AM »
Karl, you are dreaming... right....
"I'd like to see the uberfast folks have a choice to do whatever they feel is safe, run 1.0 mile or run 1.5mi."

If they wanted they could lift or twist a little less... but that's why they call it racing....

stainless,
"lift or twist a little less", or take up knitting is NOT the point.
but you know that.

having a choice to go for 1.0mi or 1.5mi records is the point, Tim gets it.

I'm thinking that having the option about which record they are going for will add to LTA's popularity.  :cheers:

Offline dw230

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 10:29:48 AM »
"Come to NC and I'll put you on a Roadracing bike at VIR or there are numerous 1/8 and 1/2 drit tracks you can get out on."

Thanks for the invite, doesn't interest me. Every bike I had threw me on the ground, a gust of gravity thing.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 10:38:47 AM »
I don't think going fast on pavement has the same feel and meaning as doing it on the dirt or salt where it all started. I guess it's a left coast attitude but after going to the lakes and salt since 1953 and seeing what it takes has a deep set feeling. I also spent 20 years drag racing and it's two different worlds.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline sabat

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 11:24:54 AM »
Great news Tim  :cheers:

I know one Floridian über fast guy who is happy about this  :-D

Offline dw230

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 04:24:32 PM »
This all harks back to my original idea when the mile events were starting to pop up as an alternative to the salt.

I tried to forward the idea of a series of 1 mile events, a unified rulebook and a consolidated record database. Then all events could be compared, apple to apple if you will. I understand the LTA position that if "we have the room for 1.5 miles why not use it?"  Plus the original competitors wanted the extra track length.

I wish good luck to the racers and the associations who wish to race on pavement. Its like my favorite line from Star Trek II, Q states that reversing the rotation of a planet will save the population. He was asked how that could be done. His response - I'm just an idea guy, you figure it out.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline tigerbird

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 06:40:41 AM »
Tim..
Are you planning to send record certificates from 2011 for the 1 1/2 mile?
Jeff jacobs
#3978 Firebird
Jeff

Offline roadracer

• TLN Motorsports/KWS/Brock's/DCW/Vortex/WWB
    • TLN Motorsports
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 09:42:51 AM »
"Come to NC and I'll put you on a Roadracing bike at VIR or there are numerous 1/8 and 1/2 drit tracks you can get out on."

Thanks for the invite, doesn't interest me. Every bike I had threw me on the ground, a gust of gravity thing.

DW

The invite stands.  It really is a blast.
2006 Kawasaki ZX-6rr (Worlds Fastest standing mile and 1.5 mile)
2008 Kawasaki ZX-10R (4 200 MPH Clubs)
2008 Kawasaki EX-250R (Multiple ECTA and LTA records)
131 Land Speed Records set since 2008
125 Land Speed Racing records (including 3 Worlds Fastest Speeds) set since 2008.

Offline blackslax

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 09:14:15 AM »
Tim..
Are you planning to send record certificates from 2011 for the 1 1/2 mile?
Jeff jacobs
#3978 Firebird

Yes I do Jeff but I do not have an address for you.  I have sent three emails looking for addresses and have not heard back.  Please email of im me your address and i will get it out.
Tim Kelly
Race Director - LTA
www.loringtiming.com
People dont see the world the way things are, They see the world the way they are.

Offline blackslax

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2012, 09:20:13 AM »
I don't think going fast on pavement has the same feel and meaning as doing it on the dirt or salt where it all started. I guess it's a left coast attitude but after going to the lakes and salt since 1953 and seeing what it takes has a deep set feeling. I also spent 20 years drag racing and it's two different worlds.

Have to take issue with your "where it all started" comment.  Where it all started was in a barn somewhere when a steam of gas engine was bolted to a bicycle or into a cobbled up wagon. 
First thing said was "Wow that's neat."
Second thing said was "How fast do you think it will go?"

That's where it all started :cheers:
Tim Kelly
Race Director - LTA
www.loringtiming.com

Offline blackslax

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2012, 09:26:30 AM »
This all harks back to my original idea when the mile events were starting to pop up as an alternative to the salt.

I tried to forward the idea of a series of 1 mile events, a unified rulebook and a consolidated record database. Then all events could be compared, apple to apple if you will. I understand the LTA position that if "we have the room for 1.5 miles why not use it?"  Plus the original competitors wanted the extra track length.

I wish good luck to the racers and the associations who wish to race on pavement. Its like my favorite line from Star Trek II, Q states that reversing the rotation of a planet will save the population. He was asked how that could be done. His response - I'm just an idea guy, you figure it out.

DW

Great quote from Q.  Your right, we really saw the mile as a concession, but apples to apples is spot on.

I guess I have to change my sig line too.
Tim Kelly
Race Director - LTA
www.loringtiming.com