Author Topic: 250 mph+ car tires  (Read 8197 times)

Offline tortoise

Re: 250 mph+ car tires
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2012, 12:02:10 PM »
The biggest problem with getting people excited about standing start world records is that they're recorded as average speeds. The NHRA ET record for 1000' feet of 3.735 translates to an average speed of 182.55 mph. Doesn't sound all that fast. 293.79 kph is no better, Most Americans have no idea what a kilometer is.

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2012, 09:50:39 PM »
Why should we care about a Kilo ?

Why do we have 1 lt and 2 lt  soft drinks rather than 1 qt and 2qt ?

At least Milk is still sold by the Gallon, 1/2 Gallon and Quart  etc...

Beer is still in 12oz cans..

ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2012, 11:15:13 PM »
Yeah, I mean whoever thought up the stupid idea of a decimal system where a cubic centimetre of water is a millilitre and weighs a gram was just being a pain in the ark.... lbs, feet and fluid ounces( so, um that's a mass measurement used to calculate fluids of varying density in a volume???????).....oh, hang on will that be an imperial or a US gallon?

How far is a mile?

The fact that  "Most Americans have no idea what a kilometer is" isn't really relevant because they don't have much of a better idea what a mile is, or a mile per hour, or a pound, or a pint....or a furlong, a chain, a fathom.

I'm just waiting for metric time. :wink: :wink: :wink:

« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 11:16:45 PM by Dr Goggles »
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

McRat

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2012, 11:24:41 PM »
Killometers are that bar on your XBox 360 screen that indicate how many bad guys you shot.  You're welcome!

In 1973? there was a national program to switch to the metric system.  Obviously nobody took it seriously.

But some American cars in that era had both metric and inch bolts on them.  Chassis mostly metric, engine mostly inch.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2012, 11:36:07 PM »
Killometers are that bar on your XBox 360 screen that indicate how many bad guys you shot.  You're welcome!

In 1973? there was a national program to switch to the metric system.  Obviously nobody took it seriously.

But some American cars in that era had both metric and inch bolts on them.  Chassis mostly metric, engine mostly inch.

Yeah we've got heaps of cars here like that.... Here we did switch and stayed that way, I get funny looks when I'm talking to people who don't know much about LSR and I talk in miles, they think its "quaint"..........

Its really easy doing a "how fast/how many revs calc in metric...in fact I do them in metric and then convert to miles.....

Ps I left out stones, bushells, cwt and rood.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline jl222

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2012, 11:48:13 PM »
Only "special tires designed by the manufacturer, i. e. Bonnevile tires or land speed tires" are allowed per the rulebook for such speeds. No existing lsr tires look very suitable for 1.5 mile hard acceleration on pavement.

As it is, if its tires were legal, a top fueler or funny could idle for 1.25 miles, then punch it and set an easy record.

What's next?

We have always run Goodyear 300 mph rated 10 in wide tires on the 222 Camaro. I replaced one set after 12+ yrs because I thought they were to old and had small cracks running with the grain [ the goodyear rep said they should have been fine] when I saw him at Bville. The tires still had traces of the nubs and wear holes looked as if no wear [ wish I had measured them from the start] We had a time of 288 mph with a 279 exit speed in 1994, 280 mph at the 21/4 and 294 avg. with a data logged 318 mph top speed in 1st mile in 2010.

After spinning on a wet and loose track last year we're replacing them with Goodyear LSR #2270 28x10-15  10.3 thread width

and the best part $229. I asked why so much less than other LSR tires I was told they use them in [ can't remember which,
but roadracing or Nascar].

Should last for a mere 11/2 miles. :-D

If the rules allow, and traction is a problem, I would look at a wider roadrace tire.

JL222

« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 11:55:47 PM by jl222 »