Author Topic: Fire bottles  (Read 5170 times)

Offline Ron Gibson

Fire bottles
« on: June 08, 2012, 08:54:07 AM »
  The rule book says over 200 mph you need 11 lbs + of suppressant. I'm changing to a 5 lb and a 10 lb Cold Fire system.My question is which to where.
  My thought is 10 lbs to the engine to make sure the fire is out and 5 lbs to keep me cool. I don't want to find out at the salt that it is plumbed wrong.

Thanks
Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
Re: Fire bottles
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 09:33:49 AM »
"201+ ... Over 5 lbs for driver"

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 09:47:34 AM »
Ron, plumb your 10 to the motor with upper and lower sprays and a single hole spray into the driver area.  Plumb your 5 to the driver only.  If the worst happens you fire the 10... If you start getting worried about the flames licking your butt, then you fire the 5. 
Remember "if you think you are on fire, you probably aren't... you will know when you are on fire". (Don Vesco)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline dw230

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 11:30:53 AM »
Don't forget the posting that is/was on the scta-bni website a couple of months ago:

3.Q FIRE EXTINGUISHING SYSTEMS:
Minimum Agent Requirements:
0 – 200 MPH 10lbs Min. Driver and Engine
201+ Mph 11 lbs Min. Over 5 lbs for the driver

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 12:36:55 PM »
Dan
  The "5 lb" bottle has 5.4 lbs of suppressant by weight on the tag. Is that enough to be legal?

TIA
Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline dw230

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 05:45:48 PM »
Ron,

Please address your fire bottle questions to Roy Creel. He has final say, contact info can be found in Sec 16 of your rulebook.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 06:43:37 PM »
Dan
  The "5 lb" bottle has 5.4 lbs of suppressant by weight on the tag. Is that enough to be legal?

TIA
Ron

Ron,

If your net weight (gross weight - tare weight) is more than 5 lbs then you'll be fine.  5.4lbs should get you through but you're squeaking by.  It might not be a bad idea to starting saving up for a second 10 pounder.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 07:07:25 PM »
Ron, here is what I was talking about.  The bottle on the left is the 10, with 11 lbs of Halon, note the single nozzle and hose running to motor.  The one on the right is the 5, with 5.06 lb of Halon, it also has a single nozzle for the driver. 
Why the single in the driver compartment... the cockpit in the Bockscar is filled with driver, very little space to fill with halon, so we slow release it, takes quite a while based on the OOPS set off a couple of years ago, but lots of agent in the compartment, even after the driver bailed out.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline BobDcuda

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 08:45:13 PM »
On the subject of fire bottles and how the rules read - is it just me, or shouldn't the text of 3.Q be tweaked to match the line that says the minimum agent requirement for 0 - 200 mph is 10 lbs.?  First paragraph says all cars must have 5 lbs. for the driver, then the next paragraph says all vehicles over 150 mph need another 5 lbs. for the engine compartment.  So if you stop there, the rule says only 5 lbs. total is required up to 150 mph; not consistent with the intent of the rule change.  Or am I missing something in the translation?

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 10:28:41 PM »
Ron, plumb your 10 to the motor with upper and lower sprays and a single hole spray into the driver area.  Plumb your 5 to the driver only.  If the worst happens you fire the 10... If you start getting worried about the flames licking your butt, then you fire the 5. 
Remember "if you think you are on fire, you probably aren't... you will know when you are on fire". (Don Vesco)

Stainless, I learned Don Vesco's quote... cost me $800. Having no experience "being on fire" I pulled both bottles turns out I wasn't. I had to have two new bottles sent to the hotel. Fedex rips your head off on the overnight frieght w/ hazard label. Next time, I will know the difference. :) When it comes to fire bottles to me more is better. I run two 10 lbs and a 5 lbs automatic bottle in the trunk for the batteries and fuel cell. If I am ever on fire I want to put out so much Dupont F36 that the sun is almost exstinguished!

Bill
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2012, 11:44:56 PM »
If your asking if 11 is enough, you don't have enough, At any speed I want all I can find a place to put the bottle. I would suggest 1- 10 on the engine and 2-5's on the driver.............Good Luck...Remember what's in the "book" is the minimum..............
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro