Author Topic: For Sale or Trade: 1958 GMC 302 Complete 12volt with Heavy Duty Transmission  (Read 18368 times)

Offline swackerle

I am selling my spare, complete GMC 302.  From carb to oil pan, it is complete and has new points, plugs, wires and a coil.  It rotates freely and the starter works!  I didn't bother getting it started because I focused on the main engine.  Also comes with a very heavy duty New Process transmission that has a pto.  Some of the levers have been cut by the yard that pulled it but the trans goes through all the gears.  This thing is heavy, so I'd rather not ship.

The price for everything is $1800.  I know that's too much so make some offers.

I would like to trade everything for a roller rocker set up for a GMC 302 stock head.

Thanks for looking.

Its hard to read but that does say 302 for the first 3 numbers.

Offline swackerle

1800 is too much for all this so make some offers.  I am definitely willing to negotiate.

Thanks,
Sam

Offline swackerle

So how does 1200 sound?  I think thats a good price.  Shoot some offers out there.

Thanks,
Sam

Offline swackerle

Lots of views, it's still available.  I want to get some more room in the garage.

Offline Stan Back

Put it outside.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Bob Drury

Stan, you are killing me.............   I sure hope we don't end up in the same Rest Home, dueling with canes......... You and I must live on the same Prune juice and Metamucil diet...........
                                       :-D :cheers: :-D       Bob
Bob Drury

Offline swackerle

Thanks Stan.  As always good, however blunt, advise. :-D  With how easily this engine rotates and all the goodies on it, I am going to keep it in the garage until someone comes to give it a good home.

-Sam

Offline GH

I gave $1000 for the GMC 302 military engine that I bought about 5 years ago.

Offline swackerle

$1000 for a military GMC 302, you say?  I would take less than that for my civilian 302.  As I have said before, I am asking too much for this engine, so make me some offers.  By purchasing this engine, you are helping to get me to the salt and see what my Model T can do.

Thanks,
Sam

Offline swackerle

Alright, lets sweeten the pot a little bit.  I have a military block with one sleeve, another crank, some stock later connecting rods (larger small end diameter), the extended oil pan (a little rough) and oil pump, bellhousing, flywheel, 2 6 volt starters(don't know condition), stock military intake and exhaust, some pistons (I think I have 6) all later civilian, and other miscellaneous pieces like generators and accessories. 

If I get 1200, all that will go with the other complete engine.  I don't want to part out, so if you want just one piece it will be 1200 and come with the rest of the stuff.

Thanks,
Sam

Offline swackerle

There are 3 separate blankets of stuff that will go with the complete engine.  Here are a few pics of all that is included for only 1200!

Thanks,
Sam

Offline fastman614

The picture up above shows what looks like  a 5 speed truck transmission that is (from experience) pretty much a "bolt-in for a pre '73 Chev/GMC pickup of almost any sort..... It is worth at the least, a few hundred bucks to a person who wants a "bull low" first gear and four really nice forward gears for a utility type truck......
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline swackerle

Thanks Fastman, the input shaft of that transmission is bigger than other chevy/gmc trans that I have owned.  Its a New Process transmission and its definately got a really low first gear, though I believe its only a 4 speed.  That transmission came off of the GMC 302 that's for sale so its a GMC peice from 1958.

Some body buy all this stuff!  I need a fire suit and tires!

Thanks,
Sam

Offline fastman614

Sam, while it has been a while since I have worked on any NP trannies, the fact that the transmission top cover has 4 shift rails would indicate that it is likely a 5 speed.... the input would, in all likelihood, be a 1 1/2" ten spline .... 12" discs are readily available....  incidentally, some of these transmissions were also made with an overdrive top gear, for which, if my memory serves me correctly, they had a weird shift pattern.... as in 3rd gear was the "second" gate pulled towards you, then you went into 4th by going into neutral, pushing over to the "third" gate and pulling it towards you again, the for the overdrive 5th, you pushed it towards the dash.... the reason being that the overdrive gearset was in what, in a top gear direct trannie, was the 4th gear position....
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline swackerle

That is really good to know!  And it explains a lot, for the life of me I couldn't figure out how to get into a few gears smoothly.  It all makes sense now, I'll test it out when I get home from work.  Thanks fastman!

-Sam