Author Topic: Bonneville licensing q  (Read 6812 times)

Offline dw230

Bonneville licensing q
« on: June 07, 2012, 08:42:03 PM »
Here's one that I can't answer. Got a call from a guy who has a rookie driver. He knows he has to license on the 3rd course, or whatever one is designated as the license course. So say he gets over 150 and then runs for the 175 license. Does this course(I think its 3 miles) have a 2 1/4 clock and if he hits the 175 there is he qualified for the long course? I thought he had to run 175 for the full mile. Or, does he have to run course 2, the normal short course, for the long course qualifier? And, what is the top speed allowed on course 3 and 4?

Nathan?

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Bonneville licensing q
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 09:10:18 PM »
I'll offer what I think is the answer to part of the question, Dan. 

It's my recollection that to qualify for the long course a driver/rider must average 175 in the measured mile of a short course.  It has been a few years since I was in the situation -- unh, 12, and memory does now and then fade. . .What were we talking about? :? :?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline jdincau

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 09:19:55 PM »
Page 11
All vehicles except streamliners, shall exceed 175 MPH in the first timed quarter-mile of the "short" course before competing on the "long" course.

I think all of the courses had a 2 1/4 clock last year.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 09:38:21 PM »
We are planning on two long (5 mile) one (3 mile) and a 1 mile rookie course. the 3 & 5 mile courses will have a 2 1/4 timing trap entering the measured  mile.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline BIGHORN

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2012, 11:15:02 AM »
Will one of the long courses be a combination course like last year?. the short course seems to have more traffic than the long course
John Kelly

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 04:16:59 PM »
Rookie run must be on 4th course.  Assuming good rookie run they can move onto any short or combo course or actually stay on the 4th course to continue licensing.  To qualify for long course they must run 175+ in the 2 1/4 on any short or combo course. 

IIRC, last year course 1 was a dedicated long course, course 2 was a combo course, course 3 was a short course and course 4 was the baby course.  Or both 1 & 2 may have been combo courses but I don't remember.  I worked as a starter on course 1 and I don't remember seeing many or any short course cars.

Regarding licenses, if rookie run is over 125 but under 150 they get a D, 150-175 is a C, 175-200 is a B, 200-250 is an A and so on.  A licensing driver can qualify for the long course on the same run as their B license run if they run over 175 in the 1/4.

No speed limits on any courses AFAIK.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 08:36:33 PM »
Page 11
All vehicles except streamliners, shall exceed 175 MPH in the first timed quarter-mile of the "short" course before competing on the "long" course.

what about lakesters?
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline jdincau

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2012, 08:59:33 PM »
Page 11

what about lakesters?
G

It says "all vehicles except streamliners", don't know how it could be more difinitive?
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 12:48:47 AM »
  Geez, I hope that George Poteet didn't get in trouble when he ran over 230 on the short course in the debut of the BlowFish Barracuda ........... with a Four Cylinder engine in it............
                                      :-D       Bob (just stirrin the pot a little)        :roll:
Bob Drury

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2012, 11:13:12 AM »
Well, you'd hate to waste a run and not get a Long Course sticker.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2012, 01:23:15 PM »
Will one of the long courses be a combination course like last year?. the short course seems to have more traffic than the long course

Only if you are on the short course  :-D

Graham, only liners get the distance without running over 175 or better in the quarter, that and classes that you have long course qualified in previously.... Of course if you are a rookie driver, just as will be like
George P and go as fast as you can on the distance before you decide to stretch your legs  :-o
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2012, 08:09:41 PM »
I don't see it being a problem for me in particular as I am kinda busy in motorcycle tech for most of the week, and the lakester is on the other side of the world with the engine in one suburb and the car in another. :-D
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm