Author Topic: Useful Toy?  (Read 1289 times)

McRat

Useful Toy?
« on: June 04, 2012, 02:58:47 PM »
I was thinking about this before we first started getting our truck ready for LSR.  It actually had to do with sled pulling kill tethers.

A few years ago I bought the kids a couple of POS Chinese dirtbikes.

They came with a fob that allowed the parent to kill the engine.  Unless the parent held down the button, the bike wouldn't run.  Each bike had a unique signal.  I doubt it cost $3 to the mfr.

This might be the cheapest solution to a number of problems.

Not that I think there needs to be a whole new level of safety nets, but there are many kinds of problems that such a device can solve.

Vibration or tire shake can actually disorient you or make you faint.

Not saying this is a good idea, but here is how it would work:

Car Device has a DIP switch that allows you set a 4 digit number.  Driver sets it to his car #, and runs to a relay to the main power.

Safety guy (end of track?) gets CB from tower - "Now staging 1616".  He sets his transmitter to 1616.  When he holds down the button, the 1616 car goes "hot".  Engine can be started.

If the safety guy releases the button, the vehicle shuts down it's electrics.

The driver can push an override button and hold it to run the engine when the safety kill is not transmitting.  They must be in the car anyhow.

It replaces external kill switches, can help a driver who doesn't know he's on fire, or has something amiss with his car.  Reduces off-course, or backdoor speeds.  

Not something I'd enjoy adding to my car, but makes a lot more sense than some of the stuff that is far more expensive and difficult to do that is already mandated.

« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 03:00:23 PM by McRat »