Author Topic: Fatality at Wilminton, OH June 2012....RIP Gerald  (Read 19508 times)

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
Re: Fatality at Wilminton, OH June 2012....RIP Gerald
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2012, 02:28:55 PM »
Ali, everyone in this community is truly sorry for your loss! Thanks for sharing your story and thoughts at a really tough time!
Sounds to me like Gerald could not have asked for a better friendship or eulogy than yours!   :cheers:

Best regards, Woody
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2012, 02:45:23 PM »
Godspeed Gerald and my prayers go out to your family.

Ali,  I am extremely glad to see you made it home.  I didn't feel you were in good enough condition to drive home after we spoke but I took your word that you didn't want any assistance.  I was also 'enabling' a rookie in getting his initial license runs in at this event using my bike so that his debut with his equipment would be less stressful in July.  I had gone through this scenario in my mind a hundred times and felt it was the right thing to do and just prayed that his family would understand if something happened.   It has shaken me up quite a bit seeing this scenario play out with you and Gerald but I still strongly believe that going solo into this sport without assistance is much more stressful and risky.  I know it will take time but I hope you are to get past the second guessing and can remember the good parts of helping someone see their dreams come true.

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2012, 02:56:57 PM »
I would like to extend a note of thanks to the volunteers, spectators, and our hosts at Wilmington if they happen to read this forum. I am sure this was not what any of them expected to experience and I am extremely grateful for their patience and understanding and I hope they feel that we handled this situation properly.  I also personally want to thank the staff, volunteers and emergency response crews for handling the situation so well on both a professional and human level.  I look forward to seeing you in July.

Offline geezer1

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2012, 03:03:40 PM »
Ali, everyone in this community is truly sorry for your loss! Thanks for sharing your story and thoughts at a really tough time!
Sounds to me like Gerald could not have asked for a better friendship or eulogy than yours!   :cheers:

Best regards, Woody

Thank you for putting your friend's story out there. You did a great job.

Geo Turner
For the Geezers
Geezer Racing - (Turner/Herr/Mclellan/Acton/Pranger/Acton/Acton /McDonald/Hascall/Patul)
Trever is in at over 210!!!!!(17 yrs. old) Kyle is in at over 212!!!!! (16 yrs' old)
2 Wins in the Hot Rod Top Speed Challenge in Super Street 2014-2015
5 Different Geezer Drivers set records at Maxton, Loring, and Ohio
We also had the honor to have the fastest Innkeeper in Wilmington Ohio in the Geezer Express
Thank you ECTA and our great LSR Friends! Press On Regardless!!

Offline garrell patterson

« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2012, 04:01:10 PM »
May God console the family and you as a friend and all of the ECTA family for this will have an effect on everyone whether we realize it or not.

Garrell and Linda Patterson
garrell patterson

Offline tigerbird

« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2012, 04:20:15 PM »
Our prayers are with Gerald's family and you. I hope you and his family truly believe if he were here today he would say thank you. Every time anyone gets on a bike or in a car, whether on a track or on the street he or she takes chances. It appears you helped Gerald fulfill his dream. You were a great friend to him.
My condolences.
Jeff Jacobs
FSH Racing
Jeff

Offline tekebird

« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2012, 05:11:17 PM »

Best regards, Woody

Ali, my condolences go out to you, Geralds Family and Other Friends.

Doug

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2012, 06:17:15 PM »
As racers and human beings most of us will only dream of have someone write about our passing with as much care and understanding as you Ali--- have "put to paper".  What a wonderful friend and kindred soul you are.

What a wonderful recolection of this trip you have posted.  I can't imagine anyone who truly loved and KNEW "Grandpa Gerald" that will not cherish this recounting of his final hours.  They will recall their own stories of his love for bikes and understand that he died as he had lived.  Most of us will not be so blessed by our maker! 

Heres to Gerald and the way he lived and to family and friends that will miss him so!! 

hip hip hooray  :cheers:
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 08:30:21 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2012, 07:39:08 PM »
I, too, appreciate the candor and emotion in your report.  I've not had an experience like that, but from your report it's apparent how it has affected you (and us, in turn).  Let's hope as time goes by we can all learn more of the cause of this tragedy so we might lessen occurrences like this. 
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2012, 08:07:54 PM »
 Ali, can't imagine being in your shoes. By telling it like you did you've done Gerald proud and I bet he'd still thank you for what you'd helped him with.

Everybody here pauses when this happens. I hope you can find peace of mind.

God speed Gerald.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2012, 08:18:58 PM »
Ali:

I am sorry for you, Gerald's family and friends. My thoughts and prayers are with all of you.

All I can say is time is the best medicine. Things fall into perspective and the loss never goes away but the good times, happy times and achievements are what we typically remember as time passes. And that is the Lord's gift to all of us left behind...the pain dims and the great things about our friends are remembered. I did not know your friend but I think he was a great man... did'nt let a few extra birthdays stop him from living.

As far as racing, I think Keith Turk summed it up in my rookie meeting, he said that "we" the ones out land speed racing are the one percenters. The ones that stopped reading or dreaming and actually got out there and did it. Gerald was a one percenter, even at 70 plus he followed his dream and drive to test himself. It's the common thread amongst all of us racers, regardless of the venue. No one forces us to do race...we all race because we would be no where else given a choice.

God's Speed Gerald. Ali, take it easy on yourself, these things are always out of our control.

Bill
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline racer

• Impound 2009. sweetest spot at Bonneville.
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2012, 08:28:29 PM »
Condolences offered to all.

My guess?

Gerald would want a moment of quiet, then a party to celebrate his life.. let the celebration begin....

R I P
Ray C Wheeler

Offline Hooley

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2012, 08:51:13 PM »
With a heavy and sadden heart I send my condolences to you and the family. I can only imagine how hard it was to write
 this post, I thank you for doing it.

Hooley
"Just Glad To Be Here"

Offline Tman

« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2012, 12:50:39 AM »
You gave tribute to your friend better than most could. Condolences and thought to you and Geralds family.

Offline roadracer

• TLN Motorsports/KWS/Brock's/DCW/Vortex/WWB
    • TLN Motorsports
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2012, 07:24:26 AM »
God Speed Gerald.  Ali we spoke very briefly, if you need anything get in touch. 
2006 Kawasaki ZX-6rr (Worlds Fastest standing mile and 1.5 mile)
2008 Kawasaki ZX-10R (4 200 MPH Clubs)
2008 Kawasaki EX-250R (Multiple ECTA and LTA records)
131 Land Speed Records set since 2008
125 Land Speed Racing records (including 3 Worlds Fastest Speeds) set since 2008.