Author Topic: Rear lakester suspension... or not?  (Read 5576 times)

Offline Jack Gifford

Rear lakester suspension... or not?
« on: June 04, 2012, 01:52:23 AM »
The lakester I purchased (but haven't run yet myself) has well-proven torsion suspension at all corners, but I'm considering going solid with the rear (due to possible lack of room for a driveshaft). Over the years since Bill Burke's 1946 runs, many, many lakesters have done without rear suspension. But having seen the old Maxton track, I fully understand why my car was built with it! Have any of you run a lakester on a smoother track (Wilmington? Loring?) with solid rear suspension, and would you care to comment?

[If it has any bearing on the suspension question: it will run in F/BFL where the SCTA record is 260-something MPH. It's a belly tank replica, and will weigh in the neighborhood of 2,100 lb.]
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
Re: Rear lakester suspension... or not?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2012, 02:47:47 AM »
On a concrete runway ours was hideous, there are scratches six feet or more along the belly and at one point when the Reverend was in the car he was about 10-12 inches in the air.

On the salt it's an entirely different gig, we don't have enough power to blow the tyres off it, It allows for tight tolerances on ride height too.

195mph smooth as silk......but like I said we don't have gobs of power.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline fastman614

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 03:07:39 AM »
On the salt at Bonneville.... we have a 218w/b rear engined dragster style lakester.... NO SUSPENSION FRONT OR REAR!.... In C/GasLakester, it holds the record... 276+MPH.... fastest timed run - over 279 mph.... out the back door at over 282 mph....

It handles well too....
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 06:26:37 AM »
I have had both, started solid went suspension went back, new car without  Without really good instrumentation to check body lift at speed,  I am not willing for the angle of attack to change at speed with suspension and me not be aware of it.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline fastman614

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 02:26:35 PM »
I have had both, started solid went suspension went back, new car without  Without really good instrumentation to check body lift at speed,  I am not willing for the angle of attack to change at speed with suspension and me not be aware of it.

I have no hard and fast opinions one way or another on whether or not rear suspension is a "net" benefit....

I know that certain vehicles that went seriously fast in years gone by did have rear suspension.... whether or not that was why they went fast is open to conjecture.....

Personally, I agree with Sparky's comment....
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 02:03:30 AM »
Thanks for the help. Given a free choice, I'd keep the suspension. I'm just hoping to "get away" without it, in the interest of conveniently fitting my planned driveline into the existing machine.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 08:56:21 AM »
Can you make the solid suspension a bolt in installation such that it could be resuspended if desired? You may be able to set it up so you could go back and forth.

Pete

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 11:11:11 AM »
Can you make the solid suspension a bolt in installation such that it could be resuspended if desired? You may be able to set it up so you could go back and forth.

Pete
If you have a coil over rear you could replace the shocks with solid rods or you coud use a high spring rate.
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean