Author Topic: Project to re-take Steam Rail Speed Record  (Read 23624 times)

Offline Hughlysses

• New folks
Project to re-take Steam Rail Speed Record
« on: June 03, 2012, 12:18:56 PM »
I thought some of you might appreciate this one.  The current steam locomotive speed record was set by the British in 1937 with the streamlined passenger locomotive "Mallard" at 127 MPH.  A group associated with the University of Minnesota hopes to break that speed record with a rebuilt and modified 1937 U.S. steam locomotive. 

The locomotive to be used is the former Atkinson, Topeka, & Santa Fe locomotive #3463.  It's a 4-6-4 wheel arrangement- 4 small wheels at the front, 6 very large (84 inch diameter) driving wheels in the middle, and 4 small wheels under the firebox at the rear, and is considered a "modern" steam locomotive in U.S. terminology.  All the axles are equipped with roller bearings, it has a "cast bed" frame ( a HUGE one-piece steel casting that includes the frame, all cross members, and the cylinders), and it has a high-pressure (300 PSIG) boiler.  This locomotive burned heavy fuel oil when it was in service but the project will convert it to burn "bio-coal", a fuel being developed by the University of Minnesota as a replacement for coal.  Bio-coal is made from plant material but has handling and burning characteristics similar to coal.  The project is known as "Project 130" for the speed in MPH they hope to achieve.  Here's a photo of the locomotive when it was new:

Now in case any of you think achieving 130 MPH with a 1937 steam locomotive is a pipe dream, be aware that very similar "stock" steam locomotives in the U.S. routinely operated at 120 MPH in passenger service (google the Milwaukee Road's "Hiawatha" passenger trains for info).  The modifications will be in line with development work done on steam locomotives by Argentinian engineer Livio Dante Porta and other engineers who worked with him over the last ~30 years.  Apart from the conversion to "bio-coal" firing, many of the modifications planned for the locomotive will be pretty familiar to many of you- reducing flow restrictions in the intake and exhaust tracts, providing free-flowing valves, increasing the compression ratio (actually reducing the clearance volumes in steam engine parlance), providing light-weight alloy rods and pistons, etc. 

Read more about the project here:  http://www.csrail.org/

If you want to learn more about modern steam locomotive technology, check out my webpage at http://www.trainweb.org/tusp

Offline tortoise

Re: Project to re-take Steam Rail Speed Record
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 12:30:36 PM »
Will there be reduced aero-drag bodywork?

Offline Hughlysses

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 12:35:58 PM »
It very likely will receive at least partial streamlining.  At least one of this class of locomotives was streamlined when it was new, although it was apparently mainly for cosmetic rather than aerodynamic purposes.  It was painted light blue and was commonly known as "the Blue Goose".   :-D

There was a lot of work done with streamlining steam locomotives in the 1930's.  The Milwaukee Road had some of the most radical jobs, like this:

These are some of the engines that routinely hit 120 MPH.

McRat

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 12:36:33 PM »
IIRC, the "streamlined" look of the 1930's industrial design age came from trains?  Could be wrong.

Offline Freud

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 02:22:44 PM »
Having ridden in steam locomotives in the late 40's, my Dad worked in the machine shop for

Great Northern Railway in Wenatchee, WA., I can get excited about this project.

D A M N the coal. Go to nitro.

After all it is a racing locomotive.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Hughlysses

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 07:09:43 PM »
Freud,

That's cool about your dad's railroad background. 

I guess they could soak the "bio-coal" chunks in nitro.  That should make for some interesting combustion effects in the firebox.   :-D

Hugh

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2012, 07:18:18 PM »
Please keep us updated here.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2012, 11:27:31 PM »
Some projects are just a whole bunch of fun to follow. I look forward to regular updates.  :-D :-D :-D

Pete

Offline aircap

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2012, 11:52:55 PM »
IIRC, the "streamlined" look of the 1930's industrial design age came from trains?  Could be wrong.

Raymond Loewy designed some very "aero" locomotive engines, as well as other things - cars, planes, boats, stuff we use at home and the office.... he's responsible for a lot of it.
"Act your age, not your shoe size". - Prince

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2012, 02:03:57 AM »
... D A M N the coal. Go to nitro...
I can appreciate that outlook! But I'm also enthusiastic about the overriding goal of this project, which is to increase the viability of railroads via the biofuel. I wish them lots of success.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline AJR192

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2012, 02:34:07 AM »
I am a conductor for a Class I R.R. (big yellow engines) and I can tell you firsthand that when an 10,000 ton freight train is at close to 70 m.p.h., it is not a fun ride. You really do get banged around a lot. I would imagine they are setting up for this deal on specially prepared track.

Offline stay`tee

• "Kawasaki ZX12 Turbocharged"
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2012, 03:51:12 AM »
i travelled too and from school, a round trip of 30 miles, everyschoolday for eleven years in wooden carages drawn by a steam locomotive, 8-),, i swear some days that old train broke the world record, :wink:,,

where do i buy a ticket, ??, make that "first, umm,, "fast class please", :cheers:
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 03:53:13 AM by stay`tee »
First Australian to ride a motorcycle over 200mph at Bonneville,,,

Offline Hughlysses

• New folks
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2012, 06:20:06 AM »
I am a conductor for a Class I R.R. (big yellow engines) and I can tell you firsthand that when an 10,000 ton freight train is at close to 70 m.p.h., it is not a fun ride. You really do get banged around a lot. I would imagine they are setting up for this deal on specially prepared track.

Once source indicates they plan to run it on the AAR (American Association of Railroads) test track near Pueblo, Colorado. 

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2012, 01:41:54 PM »
Since the only reference (that I noticed) to "gearing" was the drive wheel OD.
I assume that absence of projected mods for changing the linkage to the drivers means that the original stuff is safe at (comfortably beyond) 130?

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2012, 02:08:16 PM »

I think it was an Art Deco thing.
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ