Author Topic: Motorcycle leathers  (Read 14945 times)

Offline TurboCat

Re: Motorcycle leathers
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2012, 03:32:03 PM »
I've got a minute between laser runs, so will mention my feelings on the matter.

Nancy and I wear SCTA-legal leathers that we had made for us by Z Custom.  No issues, and therefore not really a cat in this fight.  The leathers are made for "regular" fit (Z will make them for loose, regular, or snug).  We'd had them for a year or two when we elected to add 100% kevlar underwear to our safety garb.  Note - it's kevlar, there for abrasion resistance, not for fireproofing.   Nonetheless, we wear the kevlar undies -- and even though they're pretty supple, it still makes donning the leather suit and moving once wearing it - a bit tougher.  I'd think the Nomex - even the thinnest, which would be a -1, right? -- would be thicker and therefore bulkier.  And to add nomex now would require us to buy all new suits.  Which we'd do in a minute if that's what the rules required.  We haven't felt the need to go to the fire resistant garb, but do feel there's good justification for the abrasion resistance of the kevlar.

The above is just for further input as you folks consider the need for specific safety wear.  We are subscribers to the thought that rules are minimums -- and we like being one notch safer (or so we hope).

My suggestion Slim was to amend the rule...not replace it. You would not be affected unless you chose to opt for the alternative.

Offline Gu11ett

« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2012, 05:44:22 PM »
The "all cow, minimal perforation" rule was geared toward keeping fluids out, as Slim stated. We know leather is not fire proof. I do not know if nomex will keep hot fluids off my skin or not. I have all cow leathers with nomex in them. Hopefully I don't have to test the abrasion or fire rating of them.

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2012, 08:56:17 PM »
My bike was on fire at over 200 mph after my engine blew. Fire and hot oil were jetting onto my leg and chest. I just had a minor burn to my leg and was able to shrug it off. I was wearing made to order "all cow" leathers I got off eBay (made in Pakistan) for about $500. If there had been perforations where the fire was hitting me I am sure it would have burned me much more. So no perforations for me.

Here it is on YouTube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zz-lIVht4Mc

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline edinlr

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2012, 01:26:55 PM »
My bike was on fire at over 200 mph after my engine blew. Fire and hot oil were jetting onto my leg and chest. I just had a minor burn to my leg and was able to shrug it off. I was wearing made to order "all cow" leathers I got off eBay (made in Pakistan) for about $500. If there had been perforations where the fire was hitting me I am sure it would have burned me much more. So no perforations for me.

Here it is on YouTube.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zz-lIVht4Mc

Don

Was that the 500 I bought from you last year?  :?  I can't get it much over 125.

Ed

Honda CX650 turbo, Kawasaki H2 Ninja, Kawasaki ZX750 turbo

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2012, 01:54:16 PM »
No Ed..I did not sell you a burned up bike! I WISH that CX500 went 217 mph.

The one that blowed up and caught on fire was my Hayabusa. But at last years BUB it blowed up again. This landracing stuff is hard on bikes.

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline bak189

« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2012, 09:59:38 AM »
If you don't like the SCTA Leather rules......enter the BUB ALL MOTORCYCLE AND SIDECAR event......for the live of me I do not understand why a M/C racer would race at a CAR EVENT, when there is a ALL MOTORCYCLE AND SIDECAR alternative meet on the same salt..............................................
Question authority.....always

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2012, 10:31:53 AM »
TC, your nomex underwear is fire resistant, not fluid resistant, your vents and panels will allow hot and burning fluids in and while your underwear might not burn up your skin surly will.  I also worked in a job that required Nomex clothing, will last longer in fire than jeans and a T-shirt... it will not keep you from being burned but if you want to prove something to yourself, pour a little gas on your crotch stretch panel while wearing your nomex underwear and then set it on fire.  Video it and let us all know when you have that posted on utube.

Yes I have ridden on the salt, yes I wore nomex uw under my all cow leathers.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

McRat

« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2012, 11:38:06 AM »
I would not advise pouring gasoline in your pubic area.

A crew member didn't not secure my fuel cap on my desert bike during refueling.  First whoops I hit, cap dismounts, dumps 1-2 gallons of premix in my groin.

This caused enough pain to seriously affect my mental state.  Best way I could describe it would be to dip your testicles in boiling oil.

At the next checkpoint, I unzipped and screamed for them to dump their ice chest down the front of me.  This brought only minor relief from the numbing effect of the ice water.

I finished the race standing up, with my zipper down.

I'm not convinced that 1mm-1.4mm of anything other than steel is going to stop a significant fire at >50mph.  Hot air + gasoline = bad news.  A propane torch is not as hot as gasoline, nor moving 50mph.  Aim it at any fabric that is thinner than a matchbook for 10 seconds, and report back.

Offline BIGHORN

« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2012, 11:44:17 AM »
Let the guys who want to wear nomex and leave the rulebook alone
John Kelly