Author Topic: looking for Drag coe an frontal area info for a 1993 chevy truck  (Read 7803 times)

Offline 1leg

I have been looking for 2 days on the web and haven't found any concrete info.
Jerry
SDRC Member since 2013

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.
Psalm 27:17

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: looking for Drag coe an frontal area info for a 1993 chevy truck
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 08:57:54 AM »
I dont know what the DCOE is but it will take over 1000 hp to put it over 2--ask the guys "Chock full of Nuts" guys with the big red 98!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

McRat

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 09:09:06 AM »
I have been looking for 2 days on the web and haven't found any concrete info.

I'd use average height x average width for frontal area, and .5 for Cd.

It took us 936 rwhp (measured at 1100' DA) to hit 197mph in a 2005 3/4 ton truck, but were still accelerating.

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 03:48:51 PM »
For a starter you can do some rule of thumb estimates.

The 2000 dodge Ram truck has the following aero numbers:

http://www.pickuptrucks.com/html/ram_specs.html

Code: [Select]
Two-Wheel Drive Regular Cab Pickup
Model            1500        1500     2500       3500
Frontal Area   34.8 ft2     34.5 ft2     34.8 ft2     39.8 ft2
Drag Coefficient    0.44            0.46          0.44          0.45

That will give you a ball park number to start with.

If you cannot find published numbers you are then limited to doing tests to figure out a representative number of your own.

Is the truck drivable now? If so you can do coast down tests, or if you have access to a wide open stretch of road you can also estimate the CD based on the top speed at a much lower power level.

http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=10965

The basic concept of the coast down test is very simple. Inflate your tires to maximum rated pressure to minimize rolling resistance, then you accelerate the car up to a target speed above your test range, kick it out of gear to eliminate transmission power losses in the gears churning oil, and measure the time it takes to change from one speed to a lower speed. For example accelerate to 70 mph then go to neutral and with the absolute minimum steering input let the car coast down from 70 to say 60 mph on level ground. Use a stop watch to measure the time it takes to drop from 60 mph to 50 mph. Your average speed over that interval is 65 mph. The just figure out the force it took to slow the car 10 mph in the time interval. If possible do the tests multiple times in opposite directions on the same segment of road way to cancel out local wind effects and slight grades on the road way.

http://www.stockcarscience.com/scienceTopics/scs_Aerodynamics_Drag.php

Since older trucks had higher aero drag than newer trucks I would bet your CD is most likely between   .45 and .50

Larry
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 03:54:57 PM by hotrod »

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 07:19:05 PM »
McRat's opinion (and the speeds of his incredible truck) and probably a comparison based on Banks' red truck, where's there's been a lot of published info gotta be helpful.
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 12:21:54 AM »
Don't forget to "adjust" you HP if you're trying to compair N/A to supercharged. Bonneville being ~4,200 ft & El Mirage cloe to 2,200 ft above sea level.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...