Author Topic: Basic WOS question - do records set at WOW "count" as SCTA records?  (Read 7433 times)

Offline SteveM

This may seem like a pretty basic question, but I haven't seen the answer in a search.  I'm planning to make my first trip to the salt next year (2013), and trying to put together some roughly laid out plans.

I was considering making the trip for Speed Week, but the availability of lodging, cost of lodging, and magnitude of the event have me thinking that maybe I'd be better off as a first-timer coming to WOS.

I'm strongly considering the option of attending WOS in 2013 as my first event, instead of Speed Week.

I'm buiding an H/DT entry, and hope to be competitive against the existing record.  My question is - on the outside chance that I run in excess of the current SCTA record at the time of WOS 2013, will that record "count" the same as if it were set at Speed Week or World Finals? 

It may seem too early to be thinking about setting records, but this question has been on my mind, and the best way to get it off my mind.

Steve M.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline USFRAMONTE

Steve,
Records set at World of Speed are recognized by the SCTA and included in the official listings.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
To expand on what Monte says (and he should know - he's a major player, so to speak, in the USFRA) -- the two sanctioning organisations use identical rules and even some inspectors, as well as tracks and such, so the records are interchangeable, so to speak.  The only real difference sows up in the list of records -- in that the date (month/year) shows in that listing.  No difference in how you get to feel, or how your buddies will congratulate you, or how much the other racers will then try to break your record speed.  Have fun!  And don't make your first visit to the salt one in which you'll compete.  Go there at least once as a spectator so you get the feel of it, you see and talk with others that are racing, and you get experience with the rules in action.  It's way less stressful than going for the first time and trying to learn everything while you're also racing.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline USFRAMONTE

Slim, I guess I am too used to posting one liners!  You said it very well, and I am glad things have changed from the time that records set at WOS were not recognized by other groups.

Offline Stan Back

A scan of the records in the SCTA Rule Book will show records set in September -- they're all at WOS.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Stan, you expect these guys to read and look at dates.  :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline dw230

Records listed as 08/xx = SpeedWeek
                        09/xx = World of Speed
                        10/xx = World Finals

My Grandmother does not want to see this question again!

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline USFRAMONTE

Dan,
What does your grandmother have to do with this??  Does she do all your paperwork when you get back home?
Monte.

Offline dw230

She hates to see her elder grandson pull out what little remains of his hair.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline SteveM

All righty then.  Thanks for the replies, guys.  Is this issue specifically addressed somewhere else on this site?  Maybe an FAQ type question?

As far as getting to the salt before next summer - it's just not in the cards.  Due to work, family considerations, funding, lack of vacation time, etc., I'm afraid that I'll be showing up at the salt as a newbie, intending to race.

I know I'll be putting myself at a disadvantage by doing so, but there really isn't a practical way for me to get to the salt before next summer.

SteveM.

Offline dw230

Re: Basic WOS question - do records set at WOW "count" as SCTA records?
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2012, 06:00:25 PM »
No, not addressed per-say. Has been brought up before and pretty self explanatory by looking at the rulebook and knowing the events.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline USFRAMONTE

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2012, 06:33:37 PM »
Dan,
Maybe we can get L.S. Louise to help you so you don't have to pull out your hair.
Monte.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2012, 06:42:48 PM »
Getting bald is different than getting balled?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 10:57:38 AM »
Steve, taking in your first Bonneville as a competitor is actually best done at the WoS.  You will find a rookie friendly atmosphere and a laid back group of officials and racers.  Don't get me wrong, SpeedWeek is a well run machine, with lots of racers, and lately more runs available than any other venue.  You will enjoy racing at WoS... of course, we like racing at all of them...
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline SteveM

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 08:47:39 AM »
Thank you, Robert.  That's exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for.  I will set my focus on completing the Rampage per schedule, and to be at WOS in 2013.

Steve.