Author Topic: 1969 Opel GT  (Read 23459 times)

Offline m610

Re: 1969 Opel GT
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2012, 01:52:32 AM »
Thanks for the input on the LSD issue. Seems we need one on dry pavement, but not wet pavement or salt.

I registered for the 130 mph club but I think the car will also pass tech for the 150 mph club. One mile to get up to speed does sounds short, but there's no way this 2.0L Opel motor will get us to 150 mph. Bob Legere, when he gets his car done, most likely will, but then again he is "the guy" in the vintage Opel world.

We've got that 5 speed. The gearing is the same and an Opel 4 speed for 1-4. 5th will give us some extra speed. I still need to check the gear ratios to see what is possible, if improbable.

What's the deal with signing up crew members. I assume they'll have to be members, but is that all? I've email the office again but so far no reply. This must be the start of the busy season for them.

Offline gande

« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2012, 10:56:55 PM »
When, where did you send question about crew members? I can't find it.

Gary

Offline m610

« Reply #32 on: June 18, 2012, 12:21:18 PM »
Sent on 6/6, to Ellen

Quote from: Me
I hope you have received my registration forms and that everything looks OK.

After I mailed it in I realized that I probably have to do something to get our crew signed up. I expect to have two, maybe three people with me. What do they need to do? Join USFRA? Send in medical forms?

I'll be installing the drive shaft retainer and window nets before we come out. I'll also bring registration and insurance papers, too, and the Cali plates will be on the car. It really is a street-driven car, and other than the safety gear it is close to being a stock Opel GT, and so far we haven't had it over 115 mph. So I think that between the rules as written and the spirit of the 130 mph club being street cars we should be OK. Still, I'll bring my suit and everything in case the inspectors insist on putting us in the 150 mph club group.

Offline gande

« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2012, 10:15:54 PM »
If by signed up you mean into the event an event pass for each crew member will do. If you mean extra drivers, for the 130 Club each driver is a seperate entry; entry fee, course prep fee, membership, medical form, and different car number and reinspection. Only one active entry number at a time.

Gary
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 10:24:31 PM by gande »

Offline m610

« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2012, 02:54:51 AM »
We'll have only 1 driver. I'll have 1-2 friends with me to help and enjoy the event.

My thinking was that for them to be in the pits area and working on the car that they might need to be signed up as a crew member. In LeMons we have to sign everyone up either as a driver or crew member. The cost of a crew member is less, but not free. Their fee covers insurance, Jay's house payments, etc. Spectators can wander the pits in LeMons, but they cannot work on the cars, help fueling, etc.

Then again, there is a slight chance that I may have to come out on my own, possibly driving the car rather than towing it. My question now is, am I required to have a chase car, and if so, can I bribe someone to help me with that? I know this is only the 130 mph Club event, one that most street cars could make a run at, and also this is not the big show, but I need to ask.

The car currently has FRS/GMRS radio but I can get a CB for it.

Offline gande

« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2012, 10:32:42 AM »
The car does not need a CB.  You are not required to have a chase car for the 130 club. You will need a tarp for your pit. USFRA members get a free event pass.

Gary

Offline m610

« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2012, 12:53:48 PM »
Thanks. I'll get my guys to join. It sounds like the best way to stay informed and it will get them into the event.

Sorry if I ask so many questions. I have searched and read and especially read the rules carefully, but this being my first time out there could easily be a lot of things I miss or misunderstood and I don't want to show up and be a pain in the ass or an embarrassment.

Offline blong02

• New folks
« Reply #37 on: June 30, 2012, 10:18:04 PM »
Nice looking Opel.
I hope to be attending the 2012 World of Speed and driving in the 130 Club also.
I am driving a 2005 Subaru Forrester Turbo.
I have lots of drag, but want to have some fun anyway.
Hope to see you there!
 :cheers:

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2012, 10:05:41 AM »
You guys shouldn't worry too much about the WoS, they will take good care of you.  The rules for 130 are straight forward, they have been doing it for a long time.   It is a fun event, be sure to see all the other stuff between passes.  You will want the full experience... Maybe Slim will be doing a WoS Salt Talks again this year, if so you will want to be there.  Stop by and say hi, I think we are taking the big car to WoS.  Buy Tshirts Salt Talks and WoS
See ya on the salt  8-)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline m610

« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2012, 01:29:10 AM »
Thanks for the encouragement.

Not having met any of these folks or attended an event I am paying very close attention to the letter of the rules. I don't want to waste a two-day drive, offend anyone, look like an idiot, make LeMons look bad, make Opels look bad, and most of all, not be able to join in the fun.

LeMons HQ now knows of my plan and supports it and has even OK'ed the tranny upgrade and tentatively, the dual side-draft upgrade. I'll need them on the salt and it sure will be interesting having them in LeMons races.

Speaking of which, last weekend's 24 hour race ended at 13.5 hours for us due to a blown head gasket. We nursed the car for over 10 hours but it finally gave out. No other damage that I can see but the engine will get a good inspection and possibly a tear-down before it runs again.

Oh, and I met KiwiSteve at the race. Nice guy. I just had to drop by and say thanks for his advice regarding my chances of getting the car ready for Speed Week. Chances = nil, assuming I want this car to also remain a LeMons car, which I do. ;)

I'm still taking to my friend about taking the aerial shots and video from his powered hang glider. As a bonus, he also has a tow vehicle.