Author Topic: 1969 Opel GT  (Read 23490 times)

Offline Peter Jack

Re: 1969 Opel GT
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2012, 01:19:58 AM »
That is a rather nice $500.00 car!!!  :roll: :roll: :-D

Pete

Offline fastman614

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2012, 01:38:17 AM »
That is a rather nice $500.00 car!!!  :roll: :roll: :-D

Pete

Pete - I think he originally said $200.... so, being that we are Canadians.... we will need to know exactly when that was so that we can relate that to how much it would actually have cost us at the time he purchased it.... eh?

LOL
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2012, 03:14:59 AM »
I believe the LeMons rules specify the $500.00 value. It sounds like a fun series at a reasonable price, even if the investment for a competitive car is more than $500.00.

Pete

Offline m610

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2012, 05:49:30 AM »
I overheard a lot angry of "No way that is a $500 car" comments at our first race, but then these people came by to check out the car and were satisfied. The rollered Rustoleum paint job looks pretty good from 50 feet, and I got the wing from a former tuner kid who was embarrassed he ever put it on his Civic. It was broken anyway, and we got it for $50. The air dam was free courtesy of a clumsy UPS deliver guy. We just had to put it back together.

Folks in Lemons are pretty satisfied that the car is legit. Some online commenters still think the car costs a lot more because it is rare and novel, but as one person noted, these cars are lovable, not valuable. Since we started racing this car I've been offered free-to-$100 Opel GTs that "ran when parked". In Germany, however, a fully restored Opel GT can go for up to 40k Euro.

We started out racing on the motor that had sat in the car in that field for 25 years. People told us that these were pretty sturdy motors and turned out to be the case for us. We just changed the oil and spark plugs and it ran well for four races. It leaked everywhere, both on the pressure and vacuum sides. It was horrible at times, but it ran. All 85 whp of it! ;)

Brakes, tires, wheels, seat, instrument panel, any and all safety gear, are off budget. Since we started ball joints and tie rod ends became off budget, and exhaust is off budget because if the rusty pipes on these old heaps didn't get replaced they'd just be falling off on the track. The cost of theme elements tend to be forgiven. Our vinyl cost us $250.

We replaced the brakes, got strong wheels and good tires, installed a cage and seat and all that stuff. The car got rewired and most of the bushings replaced because 25 years in the California sun had destroyed anything plastic or rubber on the car. We did put sway bars on the car and fessed up to that, having busting our budget by around $150, but between the bribe, the clever delivery of the bribe (flipped the headlights to reveal a bottle of Scotch), and the fact that Jay once drove his dad's Opel GT, back when they were new, and thinks these cars are horrible and our prospects hopeless, we got through BS OK and haven't been bothered since except to check that we still had a 1.9L Opel motor in it, which we do. There are a couple of other Opel GTs in LeMons and they have all swapped in Buick V6's, or a small Ford motor, or a rotary. Our car is still 100% Opel, even the tranny, which we run through at a rate of about 1 every 1.5 races. We are currently on tranny number 7 and we've got two spares.

We did go on to win our class twice, then were told we were dominating it and got kicked up a class. We hadn't win on speed. We won on overall execution. Staying out on track, fixing stuff quickly (tranny swap in 32 minutes), and just cranking off the laps. In the races we won, to find car with a slower best lap you had to go back about 50 places.

On the salt, we'll need speed. We've got a stronger motor (maybe 100 whp) and our tire diameter is 6% bigger than stock, so if this works out we think we can get to 126-7 at red-line, which is 6500 rpm. The motor will rev higher and survive.

Here are a couple of our race write-ups, if anyone is interested.
Results from Arse-Freeze 2011- http://www.kstreetstudio.com/files/tinyvette/arsefreeze2011/Arse-Freeze2011a.pdf
Preparing for Sears Pointless 2012 - http://www.kstreetstudio.com/files/tinyvette/TinyvetteTimes-20120317.pdf

Offline m610

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2012, 08:07:56 PM »
We just scored a 2.0 L motor (high compression, mild cam, big valves, ready to install) along with a Getrag 5-speed and all the hardware, two side-draft Webers plus manifolds, several headers and a bunch more, for $500! That's a very Lemony price. But mostly that means we now have a 5th gear. With the Opel 4-speed I am sure we can reach 120 mph withing a mile on pavement. With the Getrag, 1st-4th are the same as for the Opel tranny, so 5th will give us more range, assuming we have the power to get through 4th. I'll do the calculations to see what we could theoretically do, assuming we can get the motor to red-line.

So now my questions move on to traction. We have an open diff. Tires are 205x50x15. I'm wondering if I'll start losing traction at higher speeds, trying to push all that wind with just one tire doing the work. A Quaife is available for the rear end we have now, but it costs around $1500. Not Lemony. A Phantom Grip might do the job at around $300. Not Lemony either, but I may petition the LeMons Supreme Court for a variance.

Offline dw230

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2012, 08:31:04 PM »
Wow! You guys have not yet run the salt but are already ramping up the resources expended. Short learning curve here.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2012, 08:32:29 PM »
PM sent.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline m610

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2012, 08:55:10 PM »
As first timers we need think this through in order to do well/not royally screw up.

Minimum resource expension (new word) for - window net, steel valve stems, something to keep the drive shaft in in case the u-joints go, maybe $300.

The tranny, as a part of the $500 package, would be valued, proportionally, at maybe $100.

Not sure if we'll add a Phantom Grip. I'm not inclined to, but it sure would help us out on some of these road courses.

Total build cost, from LeMons to Salt Flats, is currently around $400.

A drag chute would be fun, too. For the cameras. We have a four-camera system in the car. Lots of examples on Vimeo.com. Just search for Team Tinyvette.

I just realized that we have a LeMons race at Thunderhill only a few days after WOS ends. We'll have to hustle back.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2012, 10:32:01 PM »
As much as I enjoy the lemons(sp?) concept, don't give it up for a chance at a one-tine salt assault.  There may be a guy there with an MG Midget (imagine that!) who wants to take you on!
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2012, 02:26:39 AM »
... with just one tire doing the work...
The only way you'd have "just one tire doing the work" would be with a spool (extreme opposite of an 'open' differential) and almost no traction at one wheel.

You're overlooking what a marvelous invention a traditional differential is; it assures identical torque delivery to each driven wheel (thus identical motive force at each tire contact, assuming equal rolling diameters). No steering forces are created as a result of differing traction between the two tires (other than small transitional forces resulting from polar inertia of a tire/wheel if it begins to 'spin').

If you've experienced the unsettling steering forces of a PosiTraction equipped car (RWD) on snowy or icy roads, I think you can easily understand that it's not what you want a landracing machine to do.

[Let the screamin' and hollerin' begin... but PLEASE- investigate the subject first...]
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Avanti Kid

• 2006 Member of Bonneville 200 MPH Club
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2012, 01:09:12 AM »
I'm with you, I use a Ford 9" 2:47 ratio with open spool and have done fine at 216 mph in my small turbo Avanti. What do you guys like best for rear ends??
Original owner of 1963 Avanti; Age 84
2006 Bonneville 200 MPH Club Member
Canyon Country, CA
215.6 mph 289 CI Studebaker engine

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2012, 11:54:35 PM »
... with open spool...
Umm... that's an oxymoron. Which do you run- open differential or a spool?
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2012, 02:02:29 AM »
Wow,sure is pretty for a multi-Lemons car! They must have become more civilized theses last years. We ran the first three and went through 2 cars---full framed American Iron--not pretty. May as well make long term plans as once you come to the salt you will be hooked! :-D
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline fastman614

« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2012, 01:17:21 AM »
I'm with you, I use a Ford 9" 2:47 ratio with open spool and have done fine at 216 mph in my small turbo Avanti. What do you guys like best for rear ends??

Interesting ... We run open differentials in BOTH of our cars.... both of our cars, interestingly, are record holders at this time as well....
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline SaltRat

« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2012, 10:34:45 AM »
150 Club: two miles to get to speed, higher entry fee, I found this one easier.

130 club: ONE mile to get to speed,  lower entry fee, I've seen a lot of high hp cars unable to do this!

BTW, I used a turbo Miata.  about 250-275 rwhp, torsen rear.  It spun the wheels in every gear but 5th - I think.
SaltRat
When (if?) this baby hits 88mph, you'll see some serious poo.