Author Topic: 1969 Opel GT  (Read 23402 times)

Offline m610

1969 Opel GT
« on: May 29, 2012, 11:38:10 PM »
Hi, new guy. Checked in at the "Introduction" forum and everything.

This will be my first time on the salt. I always admired land speed efforts. I think the first time I learned about it was when the Blue Flame ran. I was never into it enough to want to try it, being more of a road racing type, but now that I've done a little road racing I'd like to give the salt a try. We're signing up for the 130 mph club event.

The car is a 1969 Opel GT. We found it on eBay and bought it for $200. It had been sitting in an orchard for 25 years but it was still in good enough shape to take it racing, after 9 weeks of intensive work. Racing for us, by the way, is the 24 Hours of LeMons, so the car is cheap, and not really that fast, but it has finished all eight of its races, even brought home four trophies, and is still going strong. The car is also street legal and street driven, and looks pretty good, from a distance.

The car's aero is good. I'll do a rolldown test soon to get some numbers, then will do some calculations. We have hit 115 mph on a closed course, and 120 mph was the publishing top speed at red-line. We might be able to get closer to 130 mph and if we pop in a 5 speed it should be possible.

I read the rules carefully, several times, and even made a checklist. I know there aren't many rules, but oft times what one reads online in May is not quite what an inspector wants to see in September.  I emailed USFRA with a few questions and so far haven't received good answers, so I thought I'd ask them here.

1. After running for two years in LeMons we have a pretty solid car, with a great cage, harness, all that good stuff. But it does not have windows, except for the windshield. I didn't see anything in the rules about side and rear glass but I figure other than convertibles everyone will have their glass in and windows rolled up, for obvious aero reasons. I an concerned that if I showed up without that glass that it might create a stir/cause me the fail tech. My question is, will our missing windows be a problem or concern? And, do the event organizers require wrist straps and/or window nets for cases like this?

2. Our drive shaft is only 16" long, as measured between the u-joints. The torqe tube covers the rest of the distance. While short, we do not have a strap or other retention device for the drive shaft. Is this required for such a short drive shaft?

3. How would folks feel if a friend came along to film my runs... from the air? He'll be in a hang glider (rigid-wing type) and will even have a motor for assistance in takeoffs and for flying when soaring is not possible. He is a national champion cross-country pilot with over 30 years experience and has one of the best gliders available. Of course he'll be slower than the cars but will also be at an altitude where he can follow the action OK. What do you think? If OK, are there any requirements, such as where he lands and takes off, where he flies, minimum altitude, for instance, to not cross the line of our runs, etc.

4. Would it be OK if I had a drag chute on my car?

That's all for now. I'll be scanning posts here for advice for first timers, logistical issues and others.

Thanks in advance.
Mike

P.S. Our LeMons team and car on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-Tinyvette/192201637460668

Offline Peter Jack

Re: 1969 Opel GT
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 12:19:47 AM »
Whether you need the windows or not for the rules, I'll bet a set of homemade Lexan windows would add mph. I wouldn't be worried about making any compound curves.

Pete

Offline fastman614

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 01:18:01 AM »
You might be better off asking the SCTA/BNI the questions.... USFRA would pretty much follow suit with what ever the "big" organization would say....

What I do know is that ultra - light airplanes have been used for filming at past events .... I do not know if special permission needs to be obtained prior to the event or not...

About the windows though.... I have not gone through my rule book to see what it says about that but off the top of my head, in Production and/or Grand Touring classes, I do know that the windows ARE one of the items that must be retained (or are required - I just do not recall the exact wording)... the removal of the windows may classify you into modified sports.... but, since I do not run at or inspect at any of the USFRA events, I do not know exactly what they will require....

You did say the 130 mph club.... That may be more of a "time only" and "run what you brung" type of category....and, on that, you WILL have to talk to them... You might consider calling their number and talking to a person who is "in charge"... and then recap the conversation in an email back to the person.... 
No s*** sticks to the man wearing a teflon suit.

Offline m610

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 01:55:07 AM »
Yes, this will be for the 130 MPH club event. The rules are barely any stricter than that for a typical track day at Thunderhill. Shirt, pants, helmet and a decent car.

Windows are required for the GT class in the SCTA events. So are interior door panels (good luck with that and a cage) and period connect air dams and spoilers, if they were available. The Opel GT has over 300 pounds of lift at 100 mph, so I wouldn't want to go with out our air dam and wing. Besides, the wing is an important part of our theme. ;)

I spent days going through the rule book on this. Even made up a pretty nice 15 page table/checklist. I ended up contacting SCTA and immediately got two excellent responses. Seem they are really on the ball. One guy, the chief tech guy, knows our car and also races in LeMons.

I do want to run the car in LeMons race trim, but can put in Lexan windows in if needed. We already have a Lexan rear window we use for night racing. It's heavily tinted to reduce the glare of lights.

I had emailed USFRA. I think I will call them, too.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 02:06:45 AM »
With the 130 club, the spirit of the rules veers toward street driven vehicles.  Technically, it would have to be "street legal", licensed and, I think, proof of insurance would need to be available.  

Now that said, I was able to run my Midget there two years ago without operating headlights, tail lights, and no registration, but it did require advance permission.  By all means, contact them - they're very amiable folks.

I suspect they would like to see windows in place and they would greatly enhance your speed.

Those little Opals can be made to scream.

Be safe, go fast, and have fun.

Windows are required for the GT class in the SCTA events. So are interior door panels (good luck with that and a cage) and period connect air dams and spoilers, if they were available.

Given the spacious confines of the Opal GT, trust me when I say say that as a 6'5" driver of an MG Midget with a 9 point cage and a factory hardtop, the door panels are the easy part.  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:

« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 02:22:12 AM by Milwaukee Midget »
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline fastman614

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 02:31:38 AM »
With the 130 club, the spirit of the rules veers toward street driven vehicles.  Technically, it would have to be "street legal", licensed and, I think, proof of insurance would need to be available.  

Now that said, I was able to run my Midget there two years ago without operating headlights, tail lights, and no registration, but it did require advance permission.  By all means, contact them - they're very amiable folks.

I suspect they would like to see windows in place and they would greatly enhance your speed.

Those little Opals can be made to scream.

Be safe, go fast, and have fun.

Windows are required for the GT class in the SCTA events. So are interior door panels (good luck with that and a cage) and period connect air dams and spoilers, if they were available.

Given the spacious confines of the Opal GT, trust me when I say say that as a 6'5" driver of an MG Midget with a 9 point cage and a factory hardtop, the door panels are the easy part.  :cheers:  :cheers:  :cheers:

I do not think that the door panels inside are required to be stock as in factory original - they are supposed to be there so that the "rough" inner side of a factory door will be covered and "smooth" so as to not in any way catch or snag your clothing when having to get out of and away from your car in ahurry during an emergency. I am of the belief that flat aluminum will be fine.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 12:25:42 PM »
I'd suggest that you query USFRA directly about their rules and preferences for the 130 Club.  SCTA doesn't have such an event, so doesn't have any rules for it.  I wouldn't be surprised if you were to ask them - and get referred to USFRA. 
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline dw230

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 12:39:54 PM »
Jon,

All that has been mentioned in the new guy's posts. I hate to bring my grandmother back but, she says READ the thread title.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline m610

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 01:04:33 PM »
Here's our partially completed Speed Week checklist. I deciphered the rule book to make this, and quit working on it once it was clear that we'd never be able to meet SCTA spec. ;)

Link: http://www.kstreetstudio.com/files/tinyvette/bonneville2012/TinyvetteSpeedWeekChecklist.pdf

Item 21 describes the side panel requirement, but I understand that rules as-written and as-implemented are not always the same, which is why I ask a lot of questions, after reading the rules carefully.

Here's our USFRA checklist. Much simpler.

Link: http://www.kstreetstudio.com/files/tinyvette/bonneville2012/USFRA_130%20_MPH_Club_Rules.pdf

I got better answers to my questions to USFRA today. I will need a window net, and a retainer for the drive shaft, and they are thinking the car is a 150 MPH club car because it is a race car. I don't think that they get it yet that it is a LeMons race car. On a LeMons budget you can't do much to  the car and so ours is nearly a stock Opel GT with more safety equipment.

The decision to grant permission to be able to fly at the event (camera in the sky) will be made at the event. They don't want distractions. I understand that.

Offline chuck766

• New folks
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 08:26:03 PM »
ellen thought a 150 club because it will be able to run 130 but without being street legal you will not qualify membership in the 130 club

Offline m610

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2012, 01:06:28 AM »
It is street legal and street driven, and reaching 130 will require some luck.

Technically, by the rules as written, I think it is a 130 MPH club car. But in the end it could be that a race car, even one like mine, is not in the spirit of the 130 mph club, so they won't allow it. That's OK, except that the 150 mph club costs more. I'll run in whatever they want me to run in. I just want to come out and play with you guys. The car is caged and I have the suit and helmet and all that they are asking for so the car will need minimal preparation over what it's got already. We'll be adding the drive shaft retention thingy next week and I'll be measuring it for a window net tomorrow.

Offline chuck766

• New folks
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2012, 09:48:20 AM »
if it has license ect. for a street driven car and passes tec for 130 club then it can run as a 130 club entry

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2012, 12:48:23 AM »
Was there a picture posted that I missed?
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline m610

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2012, 01:09:32 AM »
Here's one:

And here's one when the car has its license plates on:

And just for fun, one more, from the inside:

More on Facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-Tinyvette/192201637460668

Offline fastman614

« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2012, 01:12:08 AM »
It is street legal and street driven, and reaching 130 will require some luck.

Technically, by the rules as written, I think it is a 130 MPH club car. But in the end it could be that a race car, even one like mine, is not in the spirit of the 130 mph club, so they won't allow it. That's OK, except that the 150 mph club costs more. I'll run in whatever they want me to run in. I just want to come out and play with you guys. The car is caged and I have the suit and helmet and all that they are asking for so the car will need minimal preparation over what it's got already. We'll be adding the drive shaft retention thingy next week and I'll be measuring it for a window net tomorrow.

Do your homework and document everything.... It nearly always helps!